noob question about suspension conversion

codycobra98

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a Mark VIII and read often that owners convert to springs as an alternative to messing with air suspension. Is it a hassel to change back to air suspension after converting to springs? Should I expect to offer less for a Mark VIII without air suspension?

Thanks

I would offer less for a car that has been converted over to coils. unless its an all out performance car. if its just a standard every day run of the mill daily driven car to ME it would be worth more with the air ride intact.

keep it air, I've had both and air is better

Here in Texas, to me it doesn't matter one way or the other if the car has springs or still on air ride. It is still a 10 + year old Mark. If you find a Mark with air ride, and it has no issues, don't convert it. Ride on the air until you have problems too difficult to fix. There are plenty of Texas members to give you support.

Ive owned both and prefer air but it wont really have much of an effect on my purchase of the car.

Springs are much more reliable then air but the air is cooler cause you can slam it at will.
I have one Mark listed for $3750 and if it had air I would prolly have listed it for $3900 if all was new and $3500 if it had old air equipment because I would know the new owner would very soon have to invest another $600+ to correct it all.

when converting to coils, there is a signal wire to the message center that warns a driver if there is a problem with the air suspension. Obviously there is a problem if the car has been converted to coils.
This means every time you start the car, you will either get the warning the switch is OFF(in the trunk) or to CHECK AIR SUSP message.

Many who convert will "cut" the signal wire(it's behind the glove box, to the right, slightly above the kick panel where the modules plug in) thus making it where you must re-connect that wire when you return the car to air.

Here's the proper way to convert, without making it difficult to return to air.

remove the solenoids from the air springs, un-plug them, and disconnect the air line. save them in a safe place.

remove the ride height sensors from their mounts, and un-plug them. save them with the solenoids.

unplug the compressor

behind the glove box, above the kick panel, instead of just cutting the wire, use a curved pick-tool to pull some of the wire out of the harness and leave plenty of 'extra' wire so you can easily re-connect it later(or a future owner). tape off any exposed wire to prevent grounding.

doing all of this will make the conversion easily reversible for you, or any future owners. Mention your care and steps taken to any perspective buyers.

Thanks all for the info. That gives me a better idea of what to expect, a few things to look for, and a few additional questions to ask when buying. :D

I am going to look at a '97 this week. Its silver with black interior 97k miles.

Guy says he doesnt know if its got air or coils...hes owned it for a year.

So we'll see...let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks all for the info. Ive got a much better idea about what to expect and now know of a few questions Ill need to ask.

Im going to look at a silver one with black interior this week. Guy says he's not sure if its still got air on it, or not. And hes owned it for about a year...

Ill keep everyone posted to let you know how it goes.

Me and my brother did mine a couple of weeks ago , its not that bad.
I miss the air but I can deal wjth it, nextt comes vogtlands and tokico blues!

The silver mark was a bust...had way too many issues.

Wound up picking up a 96 in really good condition for $1900.

It still has good air on it.

Members online

Back