non-alpine > alpine....anyone ever ACTUALLY try?

00ls-sport

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
my car came with the non-alpine cassette player and glovebox cd changer. i upgraded to a non-alpine 6-disc, which also works with the glovebox changer. i recently acquired the rear subwoofer package from a vendor of mine, brand new, and went through a huge hassle to install it. after plugging it in, there is no sound. quickls suggested to maybe try the alpine radio, since there is a connector spot for it on that radio. has anyone here physically tried to connect an apline to a non-alpine equipped vehicle? results?

gonna be alot of work - but possible.

The 'audiophile' system has two external amps - one in the rear deck shelf for the subs - the other for the DSP function in the console speakers.

00ls-sport said:
has anyone here physically tried to connect an apline to a non-alpine equipped vehicle? results?

Yep. I just had to make a wiring harness from the Alpine deck to a connector in the driver's side kick panel area. The rest of the harness that goes to your subs is all ready there. I didn't wire up the 2 extra front speakers. Remember, the alpine deck has an extra connector for the line-outs for the front surround speakers and the rear subs, and that is where you have to make the harness connect to. I thought I posted here with some pics in the past.

I wasent aware the stock alpine stero came with a stock subwoofer, but ive also only had my car for a few days and havent even cheked the truck/rearself area out where is it located?

When you say sub are you talking about the 2 6x9's in the deck lid or is there an actual sub for the car like the 6" sub in a box my T-Birds and my friends marauder had. Admittedly the 2 6x9's put out more bass then any of those 6" ever did. Not that it really matters I'm just curious.

Silver02Sport said:
When you say sub are you talking about the 2 6x9's in the deck lid or is there an actual sub for the car like the 6" sub in a box my T-Birds and my friends marauder had. Admittedly the 2 6x9's put out more bass then any of those 6" ever did. Not that it really matters I'm just curious.

right - the are driven by a seperate 85w amp that is mounted on the under-side of the deck shelf.

00LSlayinon19s said:
I wasent aware the stock alpine stero came with a stock subwoofer, but ive also only had my car for a few days and havent even cheked the truck/rearself area out where is it located?

You can also do a test of the audio system. Push and hold presets 3 and 6 simultaneously and the system enters a speaker test mode. It sends tones to each speaker so you can tell if you have a blown or disconnected speaker.

I haven't checked the wiring on this car to see for sure, but on other F/L/M vehicles, it is common that different audio options have completely different wiring and speaker systems. I'm guessing your original system drives each speaker by the head unit...where the Alpine may in fact drive part or none of the speakers from the head unit and others by the subs. You may need to wire the entire audio system to properly operate. Just a thought...

eh, i think i'm just gonna remove the damn speaker shelf, and just not worryt about it. anyone interested in buying a new sub shelf unit?

It's not that bad. Your 4 door speakers are powered by the head unit on both systems. The wiring for these is the same on both systems. The only difference lies in the extra connector on the Audiophile system. This extra connector contains line level outputs for two amplifiers; the console and rear sub speakers. You don't have to use all the outputs. I am just using the sub output wires from that connector on my car.

00ls-sport said:
eh, i think i'm just gonna remove the damn speaker shelf, and just not worryt about it. anyone interested in buying a new sub shelf unit?

just get rid off all the stock crap, and get som good stuff;)

lsbit said:
It's not that bad. Your 4 door speakers are powered by the head unit on both systems. The wiring for these is the same on both systems. The only difference lies in the extra connector on the Audiophile system. This extra connector contains line level outputs for two amplifiers; the console and rear sub speakers. You don't have to use all the outputs. I am just using the sub output wires from that connector on my car.

There you go!! Sounds like it's not that bad a deal!! Thanks for the info lsbit

lsbit said:

pics?

Members online

No members online now.
Back