No tilt! Wtf?

BigWayner95

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...

Passenger seat will tilt forward but not back. The seat will move forward and move back, the lumbar works...

So Once again, the tilt is failing... it will tilt forward and NOT back...

Ideas?

you check under/around the seat to make sure nothing is jammed in the mechanicals? lighter, pen, cell phone charger, a quarter etc.

Probably just the switch itself or wires to switch. Had the same problem with fore and aft. Seat would move forward but not back. Kept pushing on wires to switch and working rocker back and forth- seat started working. No problems for a couple of months now.
Ben

You are really talking about the seat back recline correct? The passenger seat bottom has no tilt feature, unlike the driver's seat.

Anyway, if it goes in one direction, but not the other it is probably a bad switch. Otherwise, the seat back gearing is known to fail. If it's not the switch or the electronics, the whole seat back has to be replaced.

Took a look and couldn't find anything blocking the tilt back...

This is where your back sits... not where your butt sits... it tilts forward just fine... I can't have any passenger's that's how forward it is...Lol...

You can here the motor kick on when tilt forward... nothing when you tilt back.

I had the exact same problem. I was going to replace the switch, but when I took it off I pried it open and noticed the contacts for the backward recline were corroded. Cleaned them with a wire brush, added some dielectric grease and snapped it all back together and everything works great now.

I have to admit it was pretty funny watching my passenger keep moving the seatback forward, compressing himself trying to figure it out the day we noticed it was broken :D

Going to try that... although I have a gen 1 at a local yard... will the switches work from the gen 1's?

Ok... So I pulled the switch, cleaned the connections and it was a no go... tomorrow Im picking up a used switch to see if that will take care of it...

If the used switch is a no go, what other choice am I left with? Because I don't think its the motor... because forward tilt works fine...

It's either the switch or a very weird mechanical issue. The diagrams don't show any electronics involved on the passenger side.

All fixed... was the switch. Seat works just fine! Thanks goes to all yins for the advice... now its time to fix the brakes and knocking noise on start up. Thanks again!

Good job Wayner, say ... you wouldn't want to fix/trouble shoot my no green LED in switch, no driver side heated seat would ya ?
I've had two other switches in it now and still no workie. doesn't light up the green LED and doesn't turn on the heat in the seat, was working when I first got the LS, passenger side works fine.

Good job Wayner, say ... you wouldn't want to fix/trouble shoot my no green LED in switch, no driver side heated seat would ya ?
I've had two other switches in it now and still no workie. doesn't light up the green LED and doesn't turn on the heat in the seat, was working when I first got the LS, passenger side works fine.

I would say it's the element. That was a common problem on the 1st gens. That same thing happened to my rear seat.

Can't understand if it is the element in the seat, why the green LED still won't come on, I mean if power is going to it ...

Can't understand if it is the element in the seat, why the green LED still won't come on, I mean if power is going to it ...

Because it is intelligent enough to know there is a problem with the element?

+1 with Joe...

If its not lighting up there's a problem with you heater or a/c... I don't think it would be a switch or bulb...
Do a search on heated seats I recently posted in... take your seat off and see if you have a clogged or pkntched tube...

+1 with Joe...

If its not lighting up there's a problem with you heater or a/c... I don't think it would be a switch or bulb...
Do a search on heated seats I recently posted in... take your seat off and see if you have a clogged or pkntched tube...

Gen1s are different. They don't have A/C or tubes. They use an element.

+1 with Joe...

Do a search on heated seats I recently posted in... take your seat off and see if you have a clogged or pinched tube...

The heater and A/C systems are totally separate from the seat heating and cooling in the Gen 2. The 1st gens have a heating element in the seats.

My bad guys... still a newbie to the LS's... I thought they were all the same... I'll take a look into them... and ask around...

By the way the junk yard here has a gen 1 with heat cooled would you like me to see how much for the elements? And its got tan interior, not in the best of shape...

My bad guys... still a newbie to the LS's... I thought they were all the same... I'll take a look into them... and ask around...

By the way the junk yard here has a gen 1 with heat cooled would you like me to see how much for the elements? And its got tan interior, not in the best of shape...

NO Gen1 LS had cooled seats.

Gen 1s only have heated seats. I'm pretty sure you could just fix the original, or get a new one. A junk yard one is probably going to do the same.

I'm sorry... I edited and hit saved but I guess it didn't work... I realize they only have heated... I apologize.

Thanks all, I'll have to find some real time one of these days to truly trace the problem,
like I said, I just tried a couple of used switches and it made no dif, so prob is elsewhere.

not a huge deal as it's not cold out anymore and I wasn't even meant to take it through the past winter.

I'll get to it.

Keep us posted as you start the debunking for future members! Sorry I couldn't be more useful...

Members online

Back