Nitrogen Tire Fill

Fordman

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi my fellow LS lovers, I just purchased a new set of shoes for the LS. I bought CooperTouring SLE. They seem to ride real nice. The price was right. Well anyway the people at Olin Mott put Nitrogen instead of compressed air in the tires. They told me I should get better gas mileage and better tire wear. So my question is, are any of you using Nitrogen in your tires?? And if so does it really do what the claim?? Anyway I'm up for the better gas mileage.

You will end up with better gas mileage overall, but not at first. The reason for this is that Nitrogen does not expand and contract like air that is normally used to inflate tires. The water that is in the air that is in tires normally expand and contract with the change of temperatures outside. If you notice that in the winter your tires look like they have lost pressure and seem flatter than when they were put on. And in the summer you seem to have to remove air at times because they seem to have over inflated. That is because the air inside is being heated up and expanding allowing the tire to seem that it has become more inflated.....it actually has, but that is because of the water that is in the air normally in the tire.

As for Nitrogen, you will be hard pressed to find a shop that has Nitrogen to inflate tires. It is WAY too costly to use on a normal basis. BUT, if you find one I would spend the extra money to have them inflated with Nitrogen.....but GOOD LUCK finding one.

Yes, I mentioned that to the guy at the tire shop. He said if you need more nitrogen stop by and I'll fill for free. Well that's fine as long as I'm in town. If I take a trip I will have a problem finding it. I read where you can put in compressed air to fill if need be. But as the tire gets hot it will expand unlike the nitrogen and you may get a pull, if it's a front tire. Will see I will try it.

Most airplane tires(and shocks) are filled with nitrogen so if you are out of town and need a fill stop into a smaller airport with and FBO which does matanience and they may fill it up for you. I would stay away from the larger airports with security because it might be harder to get into and have more restrictions. Also smaller companies are always looking for the extra buck in aviation. I know we used to sell to people off the street, fuel, nitrogen among other items.

Members online

No members online now.
Back