Nitrogen filled tires???

My summer wheels have nitrogen. I'm on the winter ones now and really have not noticed a difference. It's always right around 20 mpg.

Have it in the wifes van have not seen any change in fuel milage since it has been in. When I had tires put on my truck they filled the tires with it and again no change in fuel milage.

right - simply because there is nitrogen in the tire - you will not get a mileage increase.

They increase is claimed because the 'average' person lets their tire pressure leak down and therefore looses mileage due to under-inflated tires. Nitrogen leaks less - so if you are an 'average' person - then you will drive less on under-inflated tires and therefore retain better mileage than when you had air in your tires.

Like said above, if you keep your tires inflated the gains/benefits are very small.

Snake oil baby!

I've been in the tire business near 30 years, my dad near 50 years. Nitrogen is a scam on the consumers to make extra money for the shops. It will do nothing for the family car tires, and who says the shop will take all the air out and fill it with nitrogen? You will pay more and get nothing in return. This scam has been around for decades,,,,,,,,with the return of the GREEN movement,,,so comes the opportunity to scam people again and again. Anyone tells you otherwise is misinformed or just plain ignorant.

I've been in the tire business near 30 years, my dad near 50 years. Nitrogen is a scam on the consumers to make extra money for the shops.

Anyone tells you otherwise is misinformed or just plain ignorant.

i agree 100%

right in freaking indy cars, a .1 of a lb makes a huge difference.

That doesnt mean street cars are gonna benefit any shape form or fashion just because Indy and Nascar does.

A street car wouldn't be able to TELL a .1 lb difference in tire pressure.

while it might work for all out race teams who have already covered ALL the bases, I stand by my original statement that it offers NO benefit to EVERYDAY people.

more predictable is a meaningless term in a street car DD environment.

Predictable is far from meaningless in a street car. If you have 32 psi "air" in you tires at 70 degrees, it shrinks and expands with the ambient temperature.
As temp rises to 100 degrees, the psi in your tires rises, as temps fall, the psi drops. The variance is much greater with comressed ambient air then it is with "almost" pure nitrogen. Therefore the nitrogen is more predictable.

right back atcha brother...

you're starting to sound like one of those guys at Discount Tire.. quoting BS that doesnt apply to Daily Driven cars...

But.. whatever give you a "warm fuzzy feeling" aint no skin of my back if you pay almost 100.00 to have your tires "aired up"....

lolz
Hmmm...It applies to my daily drivers...A car that I can get into in TN in November when it is 60 degrees, drive to VT where it can be 20 or less and not be concerned with any variations in tire pressure. If I am not there, and my wife does not need to check pressures in the rain, the kids are safer and so is she...dang right...gives me the warm and fuzzy. And Valvoline does it here for $20 bucks. Thats cheap peace of mind. Not that my wife cannot use a tire pressure guage, I'd just rather she didn't have to.

just some additional infomation:

On this weeks Motorweek TV - Pat's segment was on TPMS systems, and how corrosion damages the unit (and how to repair it).

His recommendation was to use nitrogen to prevent (or reduce) the moisture damage to the TPMS...

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/goss/2924.shtml

air loss gain

You will lose or gain 1 lb of air pressure for every 10 degree of ambient temperature change. But that is in a static environment not dynamic, remember as the tire is being used the internal air temperature will rise as it builds up heat. Really, In my opinion, you have nothing to worry about, just using regular air pressure.

You will lose or gain 1 lb of air pressure for every 10 degree of ambient temperature change. But that is in a static environment not dynamic, remember as the tire is being used the internal air temperature will rise as it builds up heat. Really, In my opinion, you have nothing to worry about, just using regular air pressure.
I again use my wifes trip to the great white north as an example. She leaves here (TN) at 70 degrees with 32 psi and arrives there (VT) at 20 degrees. The next morning she will only have 27 psi. A better example would be last winter, we left VT at -24 degrees F and arrived in TN at 64 F. An 88 degree swing, or 9 psi. I realize that while rolling the tires will essentially maintain pressure. but after sitting for +/- an hour the will stabilize with the ambient temps.

Again, my wife can check pressure, I'd just rather she didn't have to. She can open her own damn door as well, but you know, I get that for her too.

Again, my wife can check pressure, I'd just rather she didn't have to. She can open her own damn door as well, but you know, I get that for her too.

meh.. mine changes her own tires and spark plugs.
I do open the doors for her though, lol.

That was like the old joke amongst mechanics, remember "do you want me to change the air in your tires- then all the techs laugh, hahahaha"

egggzactly, noobs often fall prey to internet hyped bs.

like the NITROGEN ENHANCED fuel shell is now selling.
its bad enough the dilute the gas with 10% ethanol that dissapears via our evap system costing you 10% of your fuel volume, now they want to put non flammable nitrogen into our tanks as well.
when does it end????

2010 IS the year of the farce and internet hyped misinformation.

Thats a good girl!!!

she rocks, definatley worth her weight in gold.

2 years ago, he car wouldn't start at an oreilly's she was getting me oil change stuff.

told her it was probably the cam sensor, because we'd just changed the crank sensor..told her to sit tight, i'd be there in 15 minutes.

by the time i got there, she had unbolted the PS reseviour, replaced the cam sensor...i put the PS res. back on (two bolts) while she went inside and washed her hands

three of the counter guys were standing out the watching her, with this unbelievable look on thier face.

shes a keeper...fer sure

A quick note about the science here. . .

It will be nearly impossible for one person to tell if Nitrogen actually makes a difference in their mileage. The main reason is that their driving habits will change to fit their preconceptions. If a person believe Nitrogen will help mileage they will drive in a way that gets better mileage after filling up with Nitrogen to prove the hypothosis. That is the reason for double blind studies. Take 2 people and register their mileage under normal conditions. Then change one persons air to nitrogen but not the other. Then tell them both they are nitrogen and see what happens. They will both get better mileage, but for the nitrogen hypothosis to be correct that car has to have a larger improvement. Technically, that isn't a sound enough study to really give a difinitive answer, but if someone tells you that nitrogen helped their mileage they are deluded. Just like the "butt dyno" there is simply no way for them to actually know. The subconsious is a funny thing.

This post has nothing to do with Nitrogen and everything to do with human perception lest anyone be confused. Stepping off my high horse now.

Tires

Only worth it if you have chrome rims. The moisture in the air will rust those rims from the inside. Most gas stations don't even have a moisture trap. Try blowing some of THAT air on your hand on a humid day and you'll understand better than words I write.

I just had my tired filled with nitrogen and I increased my MPG by 4.... I always drive to the city and it always takes a quarter tank from where I live, but since the nitrogen it cut down to almost half that.

I just had my tired filled with nitrogen and I increased my MPG by 4.... I always drive to the city and it always takes a quarter tank from where I live, but since the nitrogen it cut down to almost half that.

And back on that horse -
It isn't the Nitrogen. You changed your driving plus you now have properly inflated tires. See my previous post.
</horse>

Members online

No members online now.
Back