Newbie with a bunch of questions

K

kro$s

:steering
Ok people, i need some help. I just bought a 2004 V6 LS, and I want to start modding within in the next month. I know for sure I want the DDE lights, but I don't know if I want to take the chance and install them myself and ruin them, so my first question is does anyone know where on the eastcoast between NY and NC I can get them installed? Second, are there any exhaust/intake mods available? I like the sound of the engine, but It really needs an exhaust in my opinion are there any available? What size are these headlights (hi & low) and do I need to upgrade the harnesses if i'm running 120watt bulbs?? Fourth, are there any forced induction options available?

I'm crossing over from the import scene, i've been a faithful Japanese car owner for seven years now (specifically Toyota & Nissan) and so i'm use to being able to mod @ will with an array of parts at my disposal, I don't want to assume that this isn't the case here....But it sure doesn't seem like it. Am I wrong?

:feed

Thanks in advance!

- any mod to your lights are fairly simply but you must have 'grey' glue holding them together - otherwise it is VERY tough to seperate them

- exhaust - Borla, Magnaflow, Mclaren all make cat-back systems for the LS. I just put on flowmaster super 40s, magnaflow quad tips, magnaflow x-pipe, and customer bent tubing in a local shop - sounds great and saved $$$$

- the bulds are 9005 / 9006 (fogs are 9145). I use http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7915175410&category=36476 which give me the super white look without the increased wattage - and yes you will have to upgrade the wiring harness if you increase the wattage

- no forced induction yet - someone on this forum got a turbo working - not running anymore. you can get a improved intake (CAI) that makes a difference

- can't crack the PCM - so no chipping, no controling the spark / fuel - so limited engine mods.

kro$s said:
:steering
Ok people, i need some help. I just bought a 2004 V6 LS, and I want to start modding within in the next month. I know for sure I want the DDE lights, but I don't know if I want to take the chance and install them myself and ruin them, so my first question is does anyone know where on the eastcoast between NY and NC I can get them installed? Second, are there any exhaust/intake mods available? I like the sound of the engine, but It really needs an exhaust in my opinion are there any available? What size are these headlights (hi & low) and do I need to upgrade the harnesses if i'm running 120watt bulbs?? Fourth, are there any forced induction options available?

I'm crossing over from the import scene, i've been a faithful Japanese car owner for seven years now (specifically Toyota & Nissan) and so i'm use to being able to mod @ will with an array of parts at my disposal, I don't want to assume that this isn't the case here....But it sure doesn't seem like it. Am I wrong?

:feed

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately there is nothing available for the '03's and later. Magnaflow did one exhaust. ~$600 for a measly 5 hp. If modding is your goal, you will be seriously disappointed. There are some appearance things, but nothing for the engine. IIRC, the headlight bulbs for the '03+ are different from the 00-02's. I wouldn't run 120W bulbs. You will fry the wiring harness. You will probably also cook the inside of the headlight housing. The easiest thing would be to convert your lights to the available HID.

LS4me said:
Unfortunately there is nothing available for the '03's and later. Magnaflow did one exhaust. ~$600 for a measly 5 hp. If modding is your goal, you will be seriously disappointed. There are some appearance things, but nothing for the engine. IIRC, the headlight bulbs for the '03+ are different from the 00-02's. I wouldn't run 120W bulbs. You will fry the wiring harness. You will probably also cook the inside of the headlight housing. The easiest thing would be to convert your lights to the available HID.

Do you mean as of yet nothing is available or period (there are no plans for anything)? Modding isn't my goal, making the car quicker and better sounding is a goal though. $600 for 5hp????? Your joking right? Also, i have like 30mil on the car, how long should I allow for the break in period?

I'm pretty sure there is a CAI available for the '04 V6s now, at least there is one in development. I know guys w/ the older V6s have gotten EXCELLENT results from a CAI (can't remember if the V6s changed from '00-'02 to '03+ since I usually only pay attention to V8 mods). Check out www.LLSOC.com.

IIRC, the stock exhaust was improved in '03, so the gains from a cat-back are less pronounced. Older V6 and V8s benefited by much more than 5hp from a cat-back.

I replied to your break-in question in your post in the welcome wagon.

Sad to say, you won't find near the amount of aftermarket support for the LS that you had for your Toy/Nissan cars. These ain't no Mustangs. :D

JohnnyBz00LS said:
I'm pretty sure there is a CAI available for the '04 V6s now, at least there is one in development. I know guys w/ the older V6s have gotten EXCELLENT results from a CAI (can't remember if the V6s changed from '00-'02 to '03+ since I usually only pay attention to V8 mods). Check out www.LLSOC.com.

IIRC, the stock exhaust was improved in '03, so the gains from a cat-back are less pronounced. Older V6 and V8s benefited by much more than 5hp from a cat-back.

I replied to your break-in question in your post in the welcome wagon.

Sad to say, you won't find near the amount of aftermarket support for the LS that you had for your Toy/Nissan cars. These ain't no Mustangs. :D

The CAI for the 2003-2004 LS's either V6 or V8 have not made it to the market. I know we have been working on the CAI but since the MAF is incorporated into the intake tube itself it has created a bit of trouble making sure the MAF gets the correct air reading. Also, the throttle body on the 2003 and up LS's are much bigger than the earlier years. It's about a half inch wider in diameter. All in all this has not been a hot item for us to work on at the moment. Once we are able to get a 2003 or 2004 V6 and V8 to use as a prototype then we are at a stand still.

I will say this. I dyno'd my 2001 V8 LS with the CAI and Magnaflow system and it dyno'd better than a 2003 LS V8 that was bone stock. If you remember the 2003 model year had an increase in HP and torque to previous years due to the relocation of the throttle body, a bigger throttle body and a less restrictive exhaust. People complain that $1,000 is too much to spend on the CAI and Exhaust for 30 more HP and torque. However, it sure is cheaper than spending $6,000 for a supercharger that will never be developed for the LS.

kro$s said:
Do you mean as of yet nothing is available or period (there are no plans for anything)? Modding isn't my goal, making the car quicker and better sounding is a goal though. $600 for 5hp????? Your joking right? Also, i have like 30mil on the car, how long should I allow for the break in period?

Quicker, you shoulda bought the V8. The LS isn't, nor was it intended to be, a quarter mile car. It shines when the road turns twisty. I have a 2000 V6 with a Magnaflow cat-back and the CAI. I can keep up pretty well with the stock V8's. They have to work to keep with me in the twisties. The V6 takes a very long time to fully break-in. To the order of ~5 thousand miles. I would be surprised to see any computer (chip) improvements. The boys at the factory have already optimized the computer. There isn't any 100 hp or tq left on the table like the diesels. Right now, :nos: is your best bet. Just be careful. The tranny is good to ~400 ftlb torque. With the low sales numbers for the LS, I would be surprised if anyone develops anything for extra power. The CARB certification alone is in the millions $$$$$$$!! The blower that SVC has has never worked properly (they tell everyone that the pinging is caused by the last guy that drove it filling the tank with regular instead of premium :mad: )

Better sound, you could try changing out the mufflers.

Members online

Back