Newbie to LS here.. couple questions

mineralgsvt

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting an LS and had a couple questions..

What year was the NAV option available... I've seen '02s listed and '03s?

What kind of performance options are available for the V8? I currently drive an '01 Cobra and would like to get to at least that level of performance..

Thanks!

Todd

mineralgsvt said:

What kind of performance options are available for the V8? I currently drive an '01 Cobra and would like to get to at least that level of performance..

Thanks!

Todd

You wont get cobra performance from an LS.

mineralgsvt said:

Thanks!

Todd

If you have a Cobra and want a cobra go buy a sports car not a Lincoln.

mineralgsvt said:

Thanks!

Todd

Todd,

The Navigation system wasn't available until 2003. There are some bolt on performance items like cold air intake and cat-back exhaust. You should see about a 15-25 HP gain from those items. Also, there is a PCM flasher now available for the LS from SCT. You can purchase it from Ford Parts Network. Numbers from the flasher is seeing around a 5-12 HP increase but it varies on the program. I agree with the statement above. You won't get Cobra performance from the LS. You'll get a nice solid car that is well balanced and fun to drive.

Side note: there is a supercharger being built now for the LS. It's suppose to be available at the end of February.

Thanks, guys. I can't believe no one makes a supercharger yet.

Well, I need the extra room and have driven my brother's '01 LS V8 Sport. I Love the way the car feels/rides, etc. ... just looking for a little more performance. I'm sure a nice catback and cold air will help... then wait for the supercharger.

I have seen a "Nav assistance with communication package" on an '02 LSE For Sale listing. Supposed to look at the car sometime this week. Any ideas on what that is?

Thanks again!

About that supercharger, is it gonna run about 5 psi or a tad more? Cause $5500 is a lot of money.

GO EAGLES!

looks like SVC is charging $5,500

I believe ATS' kit (the one I'm trying) will be more like $4k.

the starting range is 4 - 5 psi. we gotta make sure the stock fuel system can keep it before going higher.

Quik LS said:
looks like SVC is charging $5,500

I believe ATS' kit (the one I'm trying) will be more like $4k.

the starting range is 4 - 5 psi. we gotta make sure the stock fuel system can keep it before going higher.

Have there been any projected hp/tq gains?

Who is ATS?

mineralgsvt said:
Have there been any projected hp/tq gains?

Who is ATS?

Thomas (Geoff) Knight from ATS Turbos (Boosthead.com). He built a prototype on a Thunderbird for Beverly Hills Ford - it was at SEMA and could be featured on 'pimp my ride'.

Guessing at 80 hp

SurfjaxLS said:

they've claimed (and advertised) that they have had a supercharge LS since early '01. Many of us have inquired about it over the years - no response. I have sent them an e-mail every month for the past 6 months - no response. I see now their web site says 'taking orders' ....

SurfjaxLS said:
Quik, you ran NO2 for a while right?

yep. I ran the NX #20922 for about six months. I took it off since NOS is not an allowable power adder in my ESP Solo2 class. It was wild, but not very usable - only useful in a drag - not good for whipping around town.

I had alot of traction issues, spinning my tires through 80' - but scared that if I ever did hook it up I would have broke something in the trannie or rearend.

Looking more forward to the supercharger were the power will be there scooting to work and back...

I got a response from SVC today that said the kit would be done 1st quarter '05....

80 hp would be nice.. no doubt since it's a roots that there will be a nice torque add as well!

Any news on a turbo charger, i know superchargers are better but i would like a turbo because they are more economical on gas mileage and also i love the sound of a blow-off valve. I remember reading about that guy who put the turbo in his rear bumper... But i would imagine that the project would be easier now that the flashers are out.

$5500... wow... somebody's making a healthy profit. We SC'd my cousin's 92 back in 92 with a kennebell unit and it ran around $3500. We clocked about 70k miles on it too, with the only casualties being the tranny, twice. Good bullet proof unit. Picked up some gas milage too. I take it this newcoming kit is a roots and not a screw crompressor? If it's a screw, I can handle the price tag, if it's a standard roots, that's highway robbery...

I'm not sure what SVC is using for their $5,500 kit.

The kit I'm testing uses a M90 GM3800 Series 2 Eaton.

eL eS said:
for the lay folk what is the difference between a roots and screw compressor.

A roots type supercharger does not compress the air in the supercharger itself, rather it uses the intake manafold as the compression chamber. A screw type draws air and compresses it in the supercharger itself.

More info...

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=76

Quik LS said:
I'm not sure what SVC is using for their $5,500 kit.

The kit I'm testing uses a M90 GM3800 Series 2 Eaton.

I read somewhere on the net that SVC's LS Supercharger is an Eaton, but $5,500 is crazy.

I just installed my KKZ intake and new tunes and love it.
The power gains suprized the hell out of me. :eek2:
If they could get that SC closer to $3,500 I'd get in line.

What causes the engine to "ping"?
The most agressive tune (I'm not using it)made a kind of nocking noise, not like a rod but I didn't like it.

The SC kit I am testing should land $3,500 - $4,000 once complete.

the 'Pinging' under WOT at higher RPMs (sounds like tapping a metal pie plate) is the engine detonating - the spark if firing too soon - caused by either the fuel mixture running lean or too aggressive spark advance. This is not good for your engine and the tune is a little too agressive.

Members online

No members online now.
Back