Newb Checking In

Pete02LSE

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Last Thursday night, we joined the LS masses and purchased a 2002 LSE. I have wanted an LS since they came out in 00 but we never had a need for a 4 door car. Welp...a baby is on the way now and there was NO WAY I was going to purchase a mini-van or some generic-lost-in-the-crowd 4 door. So, it was a toss up between the LS and a Cadillac CTS. Since the CTS-V was the only one with a V8, is grossly overpriced and is only available in a stick...it got axed pretty quickly.

We couldn't be happier with the LS. It's probably the nicest driving American car I have ever driven. However, I am a mod freak. I am also a member of www.ls1.com and www.ls2.com because I own a 99 Camaro SS. It's really a weekend/toy but it's still modded. I'd like to try and find some of the same mods for the LS...so...here goes...here's what I'd like to do first:

1) Intake - something like LLSOC has but...there's no way I'm paying $450 for a stainless steel tube that has their logo on it. Worst case...I'll get someone at a reputable muffler shop to hook me up with some stainless steel tubing and weld on the proper air connections using the existing intake tube as a template.

2) Exhaust - While I would love to install a set of headers, I haven't been able to find any for the 3.9L. Do they exist? Either way, I will likely go with the MagnaFlow cat back. Does anyone have an opinion on which one sounds the best?

That'll pretty much do it for me. Eventually, I would like to upgrade the brakes.

TIA and it's great to be here...I hope the support is like that on LS1 or LS2. I wrote up an install document when I put longtubes on my Camaro so if I when I mod the Lincoln, I'll write up what I can.

Oh...one other thing...I have Autotap for my Camaro...is there something that exists for the Lincoln? I believe I just need a different AT module.

:L

-Pete
02LSE (unmodded for now)

Pete02LSE said:
1) Intake - something like LLSOC has but...there's no way I'm paying $450 for a stainless steel tube that has their logo on it. Worst case...I'll get someone at a reputable muffler shop to hook me up with some stainless steel tubing and weld on the proper air connections using the existing intake tube as a template.

2) Exhaust - While I would love to install a set of headers, I haven't been able to find any for the 3.9L. Do they exist? Either way, I will likely go with the MagnaFlow cat back. Does anyone have an opinion on which one sounds the best?

Oh...one other thing...I have Autotap for my Camaro...is there something that exists for the Lincoln? I believe I just need a different AT module.
1) Other than going with a K&N filter the LLSOC is the only ones with a CAI option. It is worth it IMHO.
2) I put on Flowmaster Super 40s, Magnaflow quad tips, Magnaflow x-pipe, 2-1/2" tubing - all put on by the local muffler shop - very nice - kinda loud....

Quik LS said:
1) Other than going with a K&N filter the LLSOC is the only ones with a CAI option. It is worth it IMHO.
2) I put on Flowmaster Super 40s, Magnaflow quad tips, Magnaflow x-pipe, 2-1/2" tubing - all put on by the local muffler shop - very nice - kinda loud....

Out of curiosity...how loud is it in the passenger compartment and is there any drone? I have a set of Hooker longtubes with cats and a Dynomax bullet race muffler in the intermediate pipe on my Camaro (it's a 6 speed). At WOT, it's...in a word...looouuddd. I don't think I want the LS to be quite that loud but...more aggressive is always a good thing.

I think I'll see what I can do about the intake. I believe I can make one cheaper than $450...I could be proven wrong but...I'm going to at least see what I can do. Sure...it's going to take a few mistakes but...hey...if I can...why not?

Thanks for the reply.

-Pete
02LSE (unmodded for now)

Pete02LSE said:
Out of curiosity...how loud is it in the passenger compartment and is there any drone? I have a set of Hooker longtubes with cats and a Dynomax bullet race muffler in the intermediate pipe on my Camaro (it's a 6 speed). At WOT, it's...in a word...looouuddd. I don't think I want the LS to be quite that loud but...more aggressive is always a good thing.

I think I'll see what I can do about the intake. I believe I can make one cheaper than $450...I could be proven wrong but...I'm going to at least see what I can do. Sure...it's going to take a few mistakes but...hey...if I can...why not?

Thanks for the reply.

-Pete
02LSE (unmodded for now)
I like the flowmasters but I believe they are too loud for most:
- at idle it has a nice V8 rumble
- under acceleration it not bad
- driving at 40mph with just enough throddle to hold it there - it can be very loud in the passenger compartment.

Pete02LSE said:

That'll pretty much do it for me. Eventually, I would like to upgrade the brakes.

Congrats on your new LSE! You're gonna love it. I have an LSE too! As for the CAI, it's much cheaper than the $450 if you're a member with LLSOC. That's just FYI. Also, that picture you see on their website is my car. I put that LLSOC logo on my car. The CAI does not come with that on it. It was put on there to thwart any would be picture jackers.

I have the Magnaflow system on my car and absolutely love the sound. You won't go wrong with that particular system.

Take a look at my LSE and browse my website at www.lskoncepts.com.

Ken

GrayGhost1 said:
Congrats on your new LSE! You're gonna love it. I have an LSE too! As for the CAI, it's much cheaper than the $450 if you're a member with LLSOC. That's just FYI. Also, that picture you see on their website is my car. I put that LLSOC logo on my car. The CAI does not come with that on it. It was put on there to thwart any would be picture jackers.

I have the Magnaflow system on my car and absolutely love the sound. You won't go wrong with that particular system.

Take a look at my LSE and browse my website at www.lskoncepts.com.

Ken

Cool on the CAI. Long before I purchased our LSE, I reviewed the LLSOC website. It seems to be chocked full of knowledge however, I have an issue of paying for the unknown. I would think they'd setup some sort of temporary member status (say a 24 hour membership) that is extremely limited in what you can do. That way, folks can look and if they like what they see...might pay the membership fee. The one real benefit to having a pay site like that is they keep out the derelicts. That's something that has driven me away from LS1 and LS2 before. I hope this site remains free of ppl like that.

Are there group purchases here or over there? If I knew I could get a much better deal (better than the 10% off that the public garage claims you get if you are member) I would be more inclined to join.

BTW...I dig your LSE.

As usual...just my $.02.

Pete02LSE said:
Cool on the CAI. Long before I purchased our LSE, I reviewed the LLSOC website. It seems to be chocked full of knowledge however, I have an issue of paying for the unknown. I would think they'd setup some sort of temporary member status (say a 24 hour membership) that is extremely limited in what you can do. That way, folks can look and if they like what they see...might pay the membership fee. The one real benefit to having a pay site like that is they keep out the derelicts. That's something that has driven me away from LS1 and LS2 before. I hope this site remains free of ppl like that.

Are there group purchases here or over there? If I knew I could get a much better deal (better than the 10% off that the public garage claims you get if you are member) I would be more inclined to join.

LLSOC does have a 30 day free trial period, somewhat limited access to certain areas, but definately worth checking out. I used to feel the same way you do, but LLSOC isn't your run-of-the-mill car fan website. I've been a member 2 yrs now, about to renew for a 3rd. The discount I got on my CAI alone paid for my membership. Also learned how to replace valve cover gaskets myself and saved over $700 over having the dealership do it. HUGE wealth of info, DIY tips, etc there.

Pete02LSE, the LS PCM code, from what I understand, doesn't use look-up-tables (LUT) for the air/fuel/timing maps like nearly every other PCM. The maps are embedded into the compiled code and end up at an uncontrolled memory address, making modifications much more difficult (impossible for a handheld programmer like a HPP3 which I have on my '98 WS6). To modify it (and it HAS been done), requires a download, de-compile, search-n-modify of the maps, re-compile, upload. This process requires human intervention to complete sucessfully. Since the LS and T-Bird are the only cars (to date) using this PCM, don't hold your breath for any aftermarket support. Your best bet would be to go to a specialized speed shop that is capable of custom tuning (manually) your PCM.

JohnnyBs98WS6Rag on LS1.com

JohnnyBz00LS said:
LLSOC does have a 30 day free trial period, somewhat limited access to certain areas, but definately worth checking out. I used to feel the same way you do, but LLSOC isn't your run-of-the-mill car fan website. I've been a member 2 yrs now, about to renew for a 3rd. The discount I got on my CAI alone paid for my membership. Also learned how to replace valve cover gaskets myself and saved over $700 over having the dealership do it. HUGE wealth of info, DIY tips, etc there.

Pete02LSE, the LS PCM code, from what I understand, doesn't use look-up-tables (LUT) for the air/fuel/timing maps like nearly every other PCM. The maps are embedded into the compiled code and end up at an uncontrolled memory address, making modifications much more difficult (impossible for a handheld programmer like a HPP3 which I have on my '98 WS6). To modify it (and it HAS been done), requires a download, de-compile, search-n-modify of the maps, re-compile, upload. This process requires human intervention to complete sucessfully. Since the LS and T-Bird are the only cars (to date) using this PCM, don't hold your breath for any aftermarket support. Your best bet would be to go to a specialized speed shop that is capable of custom tuning (manually) your PCM.

JohnnyBs98WS6Rag on LS1.com

I'm PeteSS#338 on LS1 and LS2.com. Are you over there much anymore? I got really burned out when LS1.com went south with all of the bashing etc. I can remember when Bradley first started the site and it was great...just like I remember the SLP messageboard...oh well.

I will likely join LLSOC just because of the pros I've heard on this message board. I tried to find the 30 day temporary membership...where is it?

JohnnyBz00LS said:
LLSOC does have a 30 day free trial period, somewhat limited access to certain areas, but definately worth checking out. I used to feel the same way you do, but LLSOC isn't your run-of-the-mill car fan website. I've been a member 2 yrs now, about to renew for a 3rd. The discount I got on my CAI alone paid for my membership. Also learned how to replace valve cover gaskets myself and saved over $700 over having the dealership do it. HUGE wealth of info, DIY tips, etc there

How do you get the 30 day free trial??

Jays04LSE said:
How do you get the 30 day free trial??

I'm sorry, my mistake. The 30 day trial period is no longer available, however there is a free "Test Driver FAQ" page that contains alot of info on the LS. There is a link to it on the opening page at www.llsoc.com. Again, the small membership fee is well worth it for all the additional info available there. I highly recommend it.

Pete02LSE said:
I'm PeteSS#338 on LS1 and LS2.com. Are you over there much anymore? I got really burned out when LS1.com went south with all of the bashing etc. I can remember when Bradley first started the site and it was great...just like I remember the SLP messageboard...oh well.

I will likely join LLSOC just because of the pros I've heard on this message board. I tried to find the 30 day temporary membership...where is it?

Sorry, my bad on the 30 day trial membership (see post above).

I originally joined LS1.com in 9/98 just after the purchase of my WS6, it was my first experience w/ an online "car club". I've joined a few others since then, but continue to check in at LS1.com at least once or twice a week.

JohnnyBz00LS said:
I'm sorry, my mistake. The 30 day trial period is no longer available, however there is a free "Test Driver FAQ" page that contains alot of info on the LS. There is a link to it on the opening page at www.llsoc.com. Again, the small membership fee is well worth it for all the additional info available there. I highly recommend it.

Thanks I am going to send in my $$ today :L

Members online

Back