New to Forum with New Mark VIII

BlackOnBlackCobra96

LVC Member
Reaction score
I wanted to introduce myself and my ride. I'm getting a '95 Mark VIII with less than 40K miles that belonged to my grandmother and sat in her garage untouched for years. I'm rather excited, as I've owned and modified a supercharged '96 Cobra for 15 years, which has a similar engine. Known issues is that the battery drains (alternator?), the rear drags (air leak in the suspension?), and the trim around the rear window looks like bacon (I might need to call a window glass company). Once I get these issues resolved, I'd like to make some modifications to bring it up to date. I am considering a hub swap to make the wheels interchangeable with the Cobra (any good threads on this), but it seems like tirerack.com offers some nice wheel combinations. If anyone knows of good threads that detail how to correct these issues or advice on how to make this car better, I'd appreciate it.

Good luck with the car!
Can't help with the battery drain.

Air suspension problems are common, some are reasonable to fix, others no so much. You can take the easy way out and convert it to steel coils.

The bacon/lasagna noodle effect of the surround is also common, the surround is part of the window, so to fix it that way requires a new window with less bacon. I have found posts of people that have it really bad (mine is only a 4 inch section so far, so I don't feel like going to extremes yet) that cut it off and use the door edge type trim (or leave it off altogether).

Hubswap front is easy, rear requires either expensive Cobra IRS hubs or drilling yours or some replacement Mark VIII/Cougar/Thunderbird hubs. I really want to expand on the wheels available to me, be able to install the Cobra brakes front and rear, and have a slightly larger pool of 17+ temp spares, but I already spent my wheel money on some chrome bullits in the 5x4.25 BP so I probably can't justify spending more money to be able to spend more money.

Good luck with the car!
Can't help with the battery drain.

Air suspension problems are common, some are reasonable to fix, others no so much. You can take the easy way out and convert it to steel coils.

The bacon/lasagna noodle effect of the surround is also common, the surround is part of the window, so to fix it that way requires a new window with less bacon. I have found posts of people that have it really bad (mine is only a 4 inch section so far, so I don't feel like going to extremes yet) that cut it off and use the door edge type trim (or leave it off altogether).

Hubswap front is easy, rear requires either expensive Cobra IRS hubs or drilling yours or some replacement Mark VIII/Cougar/Thunderbird hubs. I really want to expand on the wheels available to me, be able to install the Cobra brakes front and rear, and have a slightly larger pool of 17+ temp spares, but I already spent my wheel money on some chrome bullits in the 5x4.25 BP so I probably can't justify spending more money to be able to spend more money.

Welcome BOBC
Bangster, what is this "door edge type trim" molding for the back window you speak of? Any pics or links?

Alright, some pictures.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414087579.050283.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414087614.752945.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414087634.004461.jpg

I'll be busy hitting up you guys for help on bringing it back to its former glory.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414087579.050283.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414087614.752945.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414087634.004461.jpg

Known issues is that the battery drains (alternator?)

Had a 1996 that had the battery drain problem. It is a typical problem being the amplifier stays on and drains the battery. The amp is mounted under the rear package tray. Don't remember the tests to check it but, it will give you something to google search to get started.

95 lin.jpgWelcome BOBC, You say the back drops. The compressor draws a lot of juice, and it might be trying to fill the rear bags. Check for 14+ volts at the battery running. Check the battery post clamps, my 95 had a cracked one + side, mostly it ate alts. A member here sells stick on moulding that covers the bacon. He's working on some that will work if you cut it off= T- moulding. You can cut it off, and it wont leak, it's part of the rear glass. About $600-$800 to replace it. (pic of my 95 cut). WOW 13K miles. Where was it shipped from? You might have issues with the headlights. Try them at night. Can you tell their on? Click on search thread above and you'll find lots of info about these cars. There's lots of good guys here that will help. LOL with your new car. TONYyyy

95 lin.jpg

I am considering a hub swap to make the wheels interchangeable with the Cobra (any good threads on this), but it seems like tirerack.com offers some nice wheel combinations. If anyone knows of good threads that detail how to correct these issues or advice on how to make this car better, I'd appreciate it.

Welcome! Always good to hear another one is being put back on the road! Beautiful car, I have a soft spot for 95's :) .

As far as doing hub swap THIS should give you the best info for hub swapping. You can find/make a jig to do the rear hubs or there are people here who will do it for a small fee. HERE is some good info on wheel choices. Keep her clean and running well is a great way to make these cars better. 10 years worth of great info here on modifications if you look around. Again Welcome!

Members online

No members online now.
Back