New Tires

aaronearles

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I dropped almost $800 on tires today. Stupid car...

Anyway, I just bought the Goodyear Eagle Response Edges, they seem good so far, they're a lot better than the cheapos I had on it before. I can't wait to try them in the rain or snow. Anyone else have them, or any thoughts on them?

I like Goodyear

I put Goodyears on mine. No problems. Good tires.:D

Lol, I'm just pissed that I had to spend that much on tires! Most of the tires for this car are very expensive, I know I could have bought cheaper though. The cheap ones I had on before I got for $300 for all 4, but now two were ruined and they are no longer available.

FWIW, one easy way to spend less on tires for the 17" LS wheels is to buy 245/45-17 instead of 235/50-17. They're very close in size, but the 245/45-17 is a more common tire size, so the prices are lower. You could have gotten a set of Avon Tech M550s from the tire rack for $432 (plus shipping, road hazard, and mounting and balancing), according to the last prices I saw.

Having just dropped close to $900 (including shipping, road hazard, and mounting and balancing) for the Potenzas I had installed a few weeks ago, I can certainly sympathize with you...I wish I'd known about the price difference between 235s and 245s; it would have saved me over $100, IIRC.

I think I spent about 800 for some Eagles a while back. When I got the car, it had Michelins, and they were slippery as hell in the wet. Haven't noticed any slipping yet with the good years. But they aren't as cool as the low pros I had on my Five Hundred, those things rocked. Of course, thats about all that rocked in that car.

I think I spent about 800 for some Eagles a while back. When I got the car, it had Michelins, and they were slippery as hell in the wet. Haven't noticed any slipping yet with the good years. But they aren't as cool as the low pros I had on my Five Hundred, those things rocked. Of course, thats about all that rocked in that car.
I'm on my third set for my '02. This time I bought a set of 18 X 8 1/2 wheels and put 245 - 45 Michelin Pilot P-2s on. Best single thing I ever did for handling and I've had some fairly serious Mustangs with complete suspension re-work. I got about 50K from each of the first sets, but these are so soft that I'll be lucky to get much more than 30K. I now have 109K+ on the car with the worst problem a clock spring.
KS

FWIW, one easy way to spend less on tires for the 17" LS wheels is to buy 245/45-17 instead of 235/50-17. They're very close in size, but the 245/45-17 is a more common tire size, so the prices are lower. You could have gotten a set of Avon Tech M550s from the tire rack for $432 (plus shipping, road hazard, and mounting and balancing), according to the last prices I saw.

Having just dropped close to $900 (including shipping, road hazard, and mounting and balancing) for the Potenzas I had installed a few weeks ago, I can certainly sympathize with you...I wish I'd known about the price difference between 235s and 245s; it would have saved me over $100, IIRC.

I've had 245/45/17 Continental Extreme Contact on my LS for a very long time now. I seriously recommend these if you have no snow. They are absolutely fine on dry pavement and really good in the rain too. They also last a long time and drive really well. However, on the snow, forget about it. They slide just stopped at the stop light. Does anybody know of any good all season tires in this size that aren't expensive? I really don't want to give up the size and performance but we're headed into the winter soon and I need new tires. I haven't been able to decide on anything. I really need some help here. Also, we don't get enough snow here to warrant me purchasing snow tires. It snows enough to worry about the tires though.

+1

I would like info on some good A/S tires too! Something with a decent bite for snow

Looking at the reviews on the Tire Rack's Web site, none of the UHP tires do better than "OK" in the snow and ice while still being good in everything else. The Bridgestone Potenzas I bought are rated better than average in snow and on the ice, and they're not terribly expensive in 245/45-17. Mine haven't seen any ice or snow yet, so I can't personally vouch for them, but their wet traction is much better than the stock Michelins...

Wondering how people like the Avon Tech M550 or Khumo Ecstas, they are all season, especially in the snow. I also need a good all-season to replace the MXM4s.

I'm looking forward to replacing my V's tires since the OEMs are Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar Runflats which will probably run around $17-1800 total. So any other cheaper suggestions?

My uncle has OEM Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position on his Carrera and they hold extremely well in the rain. I thought I was done for in that car in bad weather.

So, I'm looking at Kumho ECSTA AST KU25's. 500 for the set. I don't know how they'll hold up in the winter though. Any thoughts?

Wondering how people like the Avon Tech M550 or Khumo Ecstas, they are all season, especially in the snow. I also need a good all-season to replace the MXM4s.
On my '04, when I replaced the OEM MXM4s with Avon Tech M550s, the Michelins had around 20K miles on them. When I traded the '04 in on my '06, I'd put almost 20K miles on the Avons, and they still beat the crap out of the Michelins, IMHO.

I put Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions on my '06 just recently; I only have a few thousand miles on them, but I like them even more than I liked the Avons. I know a few LS owners running Avons; AFAIK, they all like them (I haven't heard anybody complaining loudly about them).

Ive driven on Pole Positions, just not on an LS and they hug the road. But I'm wondering how they all do in snow. I don't have a 4x4 and the LS is my only winter car. I was leaning toward ContiExtremeContacts but might have to get AvonTechs now.

Ive driven on Pole Positions, just not on an LS and they hug the road. But I'm wondering how they all do in snow. I don't have a 4x4 and the LS is my only winter car. I was leaning toward ContiExtremeContacts but might have to get AvonTechs now.

Why AvonTechs over ConitEC? I was on TireRack today and was looking at the same two. I think the AvonTech had a lower snow rating didn't it?

That's not even a full rotation is it? What was the problem?

I have to rotate hers going off of time only, she just doesn't put any miles on it. But, no, it's not a full rotation going off of miles only.

Have no idea what the problem was, but I kept the air up and she obviously doesn't drive like Jimmie Johnson, so, yes, very disappointing, to say the least.

They were BALD when I bought new ones, that center channel was totally gone.

Why AvonTechs over ConitEC? I was on TireRack today and was looking at the same two. I think the AvonTech had a lower snow rating didn't it?

I tried ContiExtremeContacts on the CTS-V once and they were terrible. I drove it in the snow a few times and it wasn't pretty. The Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar Runflats did better in snow so I put those back on. Maybe they'd work better on the LS idk. That's why I'm asking opinions. I only want a cheap, but decent tire for the LS. Nothing extravagant.

We normally don't get a whole lot of snow around here, and it usually doesn't stay long. We normally get a few days of snow each winter, and it's usually gone within a few days; more frequently, we get ice--we had two big ice storms last winter; one left a layer of ice that looked like snow all over everything--it was a good five to six inches thick on the hood of my pickup! :eek: But I digress.

The Avons stuck much better in the rain than the MXM4s, and I don't remember their snow/ice traction being particularly bad (the LS's 48/52 F/R weight ratio really helps), but most of the times I drove the LS in the ice/snow was when it started after I was already out. If I had to go out in the bad stuff, I usually took the paid-for 4x4 F150.

I only want a cheap, but decent tire for the LS. Nothing extravagant.
That sounds like the perfect description of the Avons. IMHO, the Bridgestones are better tires, but they're ~150% the price of the Avons. In the bang for the buck category, the Tech M550s are hard to beat. They're not perfect (for example, they get louder as they get older, at least in my experience), but they're a really good tire at a great price (as far as UHP tires go).

Thanks. I really don't need the MXM4's again especially since they are what, $200 something a tire? Outrageous for how bad they are. Ill probably get the Avon Techs. I am probably going to pick up a TJ Wrangler soon but just in case I ever get stuck in snow or bad weather in the LS. I know much more about mud terrain tires than street tires.

So, I'm looking at Kumho ECSTA AST KU25's. 500 for the set. I don't know how they'll hold up in the winter though. Any thoughts?

i have a pair of kimho ecsta on my modded trans am and in the rain i can literally spin the tires all the way to red line in third gear. On dry pavement they seem to be fine though.

Members online

Back