Service Engineering Operations
Ford Customer Service Division

Ford Motor Company
P.O. Box 1904
Dearborn, Michigan 48121

July 3, 2007

TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT: Customer Satisfaction Program 07M07
Certain 2003 Model Year Lincoln LS and Ford Thunderbird Vehicles Equipped With 3.9L Engine - Extended Warranty Coverage on Ignition Coil Assemblies and Engine Valve Cover Gaskets

PROGRAM TERMS

This program extends the warranty coverage of the ignition coils and engine valve cover gaskets to 10 years of service from the warranty start date of the vehicle or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. For vehicles that have accumulated more than 100,000 miles, coverage will last until December 31, 2007. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.

VEHICLES COVERED BY THIS PROGRAM

Certain 2003 model year Lincoln LS and Ford Thunderbird vehicles equipped with 3.9L engine built at the Wixom Assembly Plant from Job 1 through Job Last. Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS.

REASON FOR PROVIDING EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE

Some of the affected vehicles may experience an engine misfire condition predominantly due to internal breakdown in the coil and lack of adhesion between the epoxy and the coil housing material. These issues may cause the coil to operate at an insufficient voltage level, resulting in ignition coil misfires. In addition, on some of these vehicles, the valve cover gaskets may allow engine oil to enter the spark plug well and cause degradation of the ignition coil boot, resulting in ignition coil misfire. Drivability symptoms associated with an ignition coil misfire include rough running engine, surge or hesitation on acceleration, and/or illumination of the check engine light.

SERVICE ACTION

If any of the above mentioned drivability issues are reported on an affected vehicle, dealers are to identify any engine cylinder that is misfiring and perform an ignition coil stress test on the affected cylinders. If the coil fails the stress test, dealers are to replace the ignition coil and associated spark plug. If any coil boot is contaminated with engine oil, dealers are to contact the Special Service Support Center for prior approval to replace the contaminated ignition coil boot, the associated spark plug and install a new valve cover gasket set. This service will be performed on affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

NOTES:

This extended warranty coverage program only applies to ignition coil assemblies and valve cover gaskets. During diagnosis, if other concerns or DTC's are found, they will not be covered under this program and are the responsibility of the vehicle owner, if the vehicle has exceeded the time or mileage limits of all other warranty coverages (NVLM/Emissions/Extended/etc.). Owners who received letters announcing 07M07, and who bring their vehicles into the dealership because of an engine misfire condition, should be advised that this program only covers the cost of repairs related to defective ignition coils or valve cover gaskets that are allowing oil to enter the coil on plug wells.
Other repairs are not covered by this program.
COILS CONTAMINATED WITH WATER: If any coils are contaminated with water, dealers should perform Field Service Action 07N09 after performing this program (07M07).
ATTACHMENTS

Attachment I: Administrative Information
Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
Attachment III: Technical Information

Customer Notification Letter

Also....

Frank M. Ligon
Director
Service Engineering Operations
Ford Customer Service Division

Ford Motor Company
P.O. Box 1904
Dearborn, Michigan 48121

July 3, 2007

TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT: Customer Satisfaction Program 07N09
Certain 2003 Model Year Lincoln LS and Ford Thunderbird Vehicles Equipped With 3.9L Engine - Extended Warranty Coverage on Ignition Coil Covers and Wiper Motor Bracket Seal

PROGRAM TERMS

This program extends the warranty coverage of the ignition coil covers and the wiper motor bracket seal to 10 years of service from the warranty start date of the vehicle or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. For vehicles that have accumulated more than 100,000 miles, coverage will last until December 31, 2007. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.

VEHICLES COVERED BY THIS PROGRAM

Certain 2003 model year Lincoln LS and Ford Thunderbird vehicles equipped with 3.9L engine built at the Wixom Assembly Plant from Job 1 through Job Last. Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS.

REASON FOR PROVIDING EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE

On some of the affected vehicles, the water management system may allow rain water to be directed toward the ignition coils which, may result in internal contamination of the coils, and possibly lead to premature failure of the ignition coil assemblies.

SERVICE ACTION

If evidence of water contamination is found on the ignition coils or in the spark plug wells, dealers are authorized to perform the service procedure described in Attachment III. This service will be performed on affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

NOTE: If engine oil is found in the coil on plug wells, dealers should call the Special Service Support Center at 1-800-325-5621.

ATTACHMENTS

Attachment I: Administrative Information
Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
Attachment III: Technical Information

Customer Notification Letter

QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE

Special Service Support Center (Dealer Only) …………….…………………….1-800-325-5621

Where'd you get this from? Did you receive a letter in the mail about this?

This is good news regardless :)

Does anybody know why it's just for the 03 and not all years they all seem to have the same problem.

Does anybody know why it's just for the 03 and not all years they all seem to have the same problem.
It's probably because their warranties are just expiring, and the problems appear to be the results of changes in the '03 redesign.

BTW, the problem is not common in '04-'06 LSes.

Also, it's a warranty extension, not a recall. Had it been a recall, they'd be bringing cars in to replace the defective parts--they're only saying that they'll replace the parts if/when they fail.

Speaking as someone who just replaced their passenger side gasket and all eight coils this past weekend, this is total BS that this extension does not cover 00-02 years as well.:mad:

:iconcur: Why do the older cars get left out? Aren't they more prone to failure?

Speaking as someone who just replaced their passenger side gasket and all eight coils this past weekend, this is total BS that this extension does not cover 00-02 years as well.:mad:

what about those with an 03 that already paid for this repair?

I have rarely had problems getting money back on a repair I paid for that was later covered by a recall or extended warranty such as this one, so just call them up as eL eS suggested.

because the older models are prolly all off finance terms and are privately owned by the driver and not half and half with the owner/bank.. we can whine all we want and they prolly wont change it.. but if something happens and the bank starts takin the hit on cars they put the financing for... i'm sure ford will eventually feel the loss there.. thats the way i see it anyways.. if that makes sense..

This really does suck I got a CEL this weekend, misfire cyl 4 on my 02.

This is stupid, what another great move by FMC. So, recall the ones that have the least complaints and not the ones that have the most..(2000-2002) what genius minds they have.

Thanks for fuqing us Ford!

thats great news. i have a 03 v8... i was just about to buy valve cover gaskets. because i felt my car hesitating at certain speeds.. what are the symptoms so when i bring to the dealer i can tell them my problem.. and what website can we find this info at?? thanx for the good news

thats great news. i have a 03 v8... i was just about to buy valve cover gaskets. because i felt my car hesitating at certain speeds.. what are the symptoms so when i bring to the dealer i can tell them my problem.. and what website can we find this info at?? thanx for the good news

hesitation/misfire. I actually went in becasue I thought I was getting some RF induced on the stereo.

Was there a change made between '03 and '04? I think I remember seeing a TSB on water leaking into the coil covers on the '04s as well. Wonder why they wouldn't include these in the extension.

Well I got my lovely LS back today. No one every like to take their care in for repairs but I have to say that going to the fine folks at Gator Ford in Tampa, Fl has always been a pleasureable experience. The are honest, friendly, knowledgable, and freakin good at getting the job done right the first time.

The mater mechanic's name is Mark and he was the guuy that did all the hard work of maintaining my 00 LS but the guy you will want to ask for if you every need to go for service or repairs is Eric.

I doubt they will ever be here to read this but I genuinely appreciate their efforts. Excellent communicators and very motivated people so if you live in the tampa area and need work done to your Lincoln/merc/ford please give em a call.

Was there a change made between '03 and '04? I think I remember seeing a TSB on water leaking into the coil covers on the '04s as well. Wonder why they wouldn't include these in the extension.

I'll see if I can find the tsb and compare the two. If there is a tsb you should be eligible for the work so long as you are within your warranty.

Members online

Back