New personal best at the t rack tonight and weird alternator question

67Continental

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ran a 14.7 @ 101.8 tonight - also ran many 14.8's at 100. This is with stock mark, LMS exhaust and shift kit. I am very happy with this time and if I had any traction at all it could be improved.

My question is this - I have had many alternator troubles in the past 6 months, I am on my 5th alternator. I removed my amp from the equation this week in hopes that that was the issue. Tonight, on the 1/4, when the tach went past the redline, my battery light would come on, then disappear after the shift (manual shifting). Anyone know why that would be happening?

m_maker said:
100 mph trap in a mark with just exhaust ?

101.8 mph trap ;) Exhaust and shift kit. It was also a beautiful night, air temperature-wise.

Belt slippage, that makes total sense. I was freaking out because of all my other alternator problems. The belt is kind of old and somewhat frayed, perhaps it's replacement time. Thanks!

Do your tensioner too. You have NO idea how many people I've seen yank their hair out about belt slippage problems just to find out that their tensioner had taken a dump on them. Cheap insurance I say.

I've got about 10-15 slips from last night, most are 14.8 @ 100....I don't have a scanner tho...

RT: 0.096
A1: 2.365
A2: 0.000
A3: 9.681

ET: 14.721
MPH: 101.811

My other best time of the night was 14.806 @ 100.225. I trapped 101 twice (one was a 14.9) and 100 7 times. There was no error at the track as several of my friends were present and running what they normally run.

What was your 1/8th mile MPH? I don't think your 1/4 MPH is possible with the mods you have.

The timeslip does not give me 1/8 mph.

I know it seems odd, but every other car that night was trapping the "normal" times for their vehicles, and my friend's mustang ran the same times and mph it always runs....I'm not lying to you guys....In fact, a lot of cars had trouble with their 60 foots, including me.

Like I said, I have over ten runs with a 100 mph plus trap...My other buddy in his RSX-S ran against me for most of his runs, and his car consistently trapped 95, with a good run of 97 when he caught traction. I think I benefited from the weather and the cooling system flush I did the weekend before.

I believe the 14.7 part but not gonna buy the MPH you are claiming... For example, my 95 LSC which trapped 100-101mph consistantly would run 14.1 all night with a 2.3 60 foot time (spinning hard off the line). Why does your car have the same power (MPH) but is a full half second slower in ET with the same exact 60 foot time...

95LSC32V said:
I believe the 14.7 part but not gonna buy the MPH you are claiming... For example, my 95 LSC which trapped 100-101mph consistantly would run 14.1 all night with a 2.3 60 foot time (spinning hard off the line). Why does your car have the same power (MPH) but is a full half second slower in ET with the same exact 60 foot time...

I agree, I should be running lower 14's but I am not. Something to consider is that I am most likely spinning past the 60 foot point, as I have :q:q:q:qty tires and no trak lok. I had zero traction, even with my rear tires down to 15 psi I would spin on the 1-2 shift. I did remove the spare tire for weight reduction, but I think it's my lack of trak-lok that causes my traction loss.

In any case, I find it hard to believe that the trap speeds were only aberrant for my car, and no one else's...I did use multiple lanes as well. I felt a weird power loss at 70 mph when my battery warning light would come on, maybe that also contributes.

Have you raced your friend with the RSX-S from a roll? If he traps 95mph and you trap 101mph you should be able to pull 5-6 car lengths (buslength) on him from a roll.

14.7 @ 101.8

Proof again my car is slow. :confused:

Spinning is most likely the reason for the trap speed? That's the way I see it.

Spinning would not give you that much more MPH. His car only has exhaust and shift kit, should be trapping 95-97mph. Spinning really bad might make it 98mph, not 101.8, almost 102mph... Also, I wouldn't consider 2.3 that bad of a 60 foot time. If I blew the tires off with the 4.30 gears I would get 2.5-2.6 60 foot times and I would still run ~14.5's, it doesn't make any sense to me and I have drag raced these cars over 150 times at the track.

95LSC32V said:
Have you raced your friend with the RSX-S from a roll? If he traps 95mph and you trap 101mph you should be able to pull 5-6 car lengths (buslength) on him from a roll.

not since my mods, but before my mods, my car pulls on him above 100 mph. At that time I was running 14.8 @ 97.7 - completely stock.

you say my car should be trapping 95-97 with the mods I have? That's what I was trapping before my mods, when my car was completely stock.....

Here are 4 of my best timeslips from last night.

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

Wow, are you sure you didn't swap an LS1 underneath the hood? JK... but seriously your car must be a freak and putting down over 270rwhp...

I tend to agree, and I know how hard I worked to get 100+ mph trap speed. Even today, 100 mph traps for me is no easy feat.

But at any time I had traction issues, I took care of them FIRST and foremost. Even now, I can sense my track-lok going south and hence I have a set of 4.30s being built with a Detroit TrueTrac.

95LSC32V said:
Wow, are you sure you didn't swap an LS1 underneath the hood? JK... but seriously your car must be a freak and putting down over 270rwhp...

ha i wish! :) Honestly, I think the weather was just amazing that night, It was right between two thunderstorms and the air was super dense and cold, and I think the car just took advantage of that in the higher rpm's.

I have a trac loc sitting here that I want to install, but I am not going to put gears in until I can afford a chip and a driveshaft, unfortunately.

I am serious, your car must be putting down those numbers to trap that high. MPH = how much power you have and you still have the stock gears to boot... I picked up 2-3mph going from 3.27's to 4.30's... wow.

67Continental said:
ha i wish! :) Honestly, I think the weather was just amazing that night, It was right between two thunderstorms and the air was super dense and cold, and I think the car just took advantage of that in the higher rpm's.

As discussed before, you can go to www.wunderground.com for historical weather stats(temp, pressure and humidity) and then calculate density altitude and corrected HP.

The other times on the time slips seem to have high traps too. I know traction, weight, gearing all play a part but...15.139@96.489, 13.869@107.782 and 16.316@nearly90 all seem consistently high.

like I said, both of the people with me, who race every week, trapped what they normally trap.

guys, i'm not trying to start anything here...I just thought I would share my time, I was really happy with it. I've been dragging the car for a year now and it keeps getting better.

Its cool. I'd be happy as all heck. Actually it really means you can probably shave some yet with that kind of trap. Exhaust and the shift kit will both help the mph.

Do you hit 3rd before the line?

Depending on how well I managed the 1-2 shift I hit third either right at the line or just before.

I know I really need to work on traction to help my ET. Better tires and locking rear would go a long way. I experiment a lot with different height setups for launch too.

Maybe it is showing your real MPH and not the average time over the last 66 feet like other tracks?

Members online

No members online now.
Back