New owner with new questions

hsolo

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Greetings one and all

I purchased a 2001 Continental back on Memorial Day weekend. What a sweet ride! Something I should have done much sooner in my life. The car has very low miles on it, 27,000ish when I bought it. Up until last week, it has been working flawlessly.

I had taken a trip to Louisiana (I know, Louisiana in August????), and the car developed some issues on the trip down. The motor ran great the entire trip, tells me I got 25.1 mpg on the journey. The gremlins seem to all be electrical. First, the vehicle handling went away, closely followed by the air suspension. Next, the passenger headlight assembly went out (yes, I replaced lamp) completely, no light, turn indiator, nor parking light when the lights were turned on. When the light are turned on, the system tells me I have low coolant, low washer fluid, and that the brake lamps are out. When the lights are not on, the turn indicators work, though the pasenger side does speed up sometime, then return to normal.

Any thoughts or comments on these issues? I do have an apontment with the mechanic on August 29th to sus out what these gremlins are.
Thanx
:L

did you check your fuses? fill the coolent and the washer to make the light go away.

Yes, I checked the usual suspects, the fuses that I can find underdash and under hood and the fluid levels. The fluid level warnings only pop up when the headlight come on.

hsolo said:
Yes, I checked the usual suspects, the fuses that I can find underdash and under hood and the fluid levels. The fluid level warnings only pop up when the headlight come on.

it sounds like the communications network is getting false data or a possible short in system.did you hit any large puddles of water on your trip?check the main harness connector where it bolts into the firewall connector.its held on by a bolt.if it is loose try tightening it up.if not unbolt it and look for corrosion in the pins.clean them up put some dielectric grease on them and bolt it back in good.if this doesnt fix the problems while it may sound silly try checking your multi function switch(turn signal)these are a known weak spot on f/l/m cars esp lincolns.a bad one can create all sorts of freaky problems that never would point to it being the culprit.(in their wisdom the engineers ran God knows how many unrelated functions thru them).
try these two fixes first if no joy let us know and we will scratch our heads harder for you.
john

is your car running ok yet have you got your stuff worked out
hope everythign is going ok for you

bigdog1279 said:
is your car running ok yet have you got your stuff worked out
hope everythign is going ok for you

I go get it checked out this morning. I'll let you know what we find out. Wish me luck.

Okay.....

We are back and the Conti is running nicely now with no issues. It was all electrical relate (duh!), and all the same issue. And I quote from the technician on the repair order:

"Complaints 1 thru 8 all related. Checked all modules for DTC's, performed pinpoint test, checked power and ground circuits. High resistance on ground circuit 67. Trace and repair circuit 67"

So whatever that circuit was, it had gone walkabout. By the way, an one know what circuit 67 is on a 2001 Conti, and what all is on it?

:Beer

Members online

Back