new lugs and studs? HELP?

itsnotmydaddys

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
i recently got brake work done at mida (f &r pads, front rotors) i took it back there due to squeaking and shaking when braking. they say i stop to much???? and cause heat spots causing squeaking and the shaking was there already (bullshiot). they now say they cant get the wheels off again because the lugs have expanded from water, and if they try any more they will snap the studs. they now want 55 more dollars for 7 new studs and nuts. what should i do. how much are new studs and nuts. should i call corporate midas. i feel like theyre trying to punk me cause im a young kid with a nice car.

Call at least 5 other shops (even local ones) and ask what they would charge and give them that same scenario.

When you tel them the squeaking was there before your brake job with Midas, and they told you it was because of it after, they'll know you're keeping tabs on what people say.

Shouldn't take but 30 minutes to get at least 5 other estimates. I don't have any info on the average cost though sorry.

I TOLD YOU I HAD THE LUGZZZZZZZZzz.. i'll talk to you online later AIM

motts, ill take your nuts(didnt sound good but ill leave it there for laughts) but they cant get the factory ones off without breaking the studs off. now they want to charge me labor and a bunch of other bull

itsnotmydaddys said:
motts, ill take your nuts(didnt sound good but ill leave it there for laughts) but they cant get the factory ones off without breaking the studs off. now they want to charge me labor and a bunch of other bull
SO..........they're saying they can't get the nuts off without breaking the studs. I don't believe that is true seeing as how the lug nuts on car are also swollen. Since I have owned the car, I have had the wheels off twice (once for new tires and the other for suspension work. Though the lug nuts can be stubborn, they are not impossible to get off. It sounds to me as though this shop doesn't want to pay to fix something they could mess up. I'd have a talk with their manager and call them out on the BS. Let's put it this way........if they break the studs then they have to pay for it (at least that is the way it is at my dealership or any other reputable shop). Hope this helps.

thats y the wont mess with them they rounded them taking and putting them on like 5 times, the nuts are roundish, but again not my fault. im thinking im gonna call corporate, why should i have to pay anther 150 for them to take off my wheels and fix the brakes that they messed up, it doesnt make sense, if they would have done it right i wouldnt be back there. i told her that she said if u wouldnt drive so harsh u wouldnt be here. less than 800 miles on the brakes

very very very common problem. the nuts and studs are soft and are easily stripped. mostly by tire shops that use air impact wrenches.

since I have my tires off all the time - I've replace several studs. you can switch to chrysler sebreing nuts or go to the 03+ LS nuts (which were redesigned).

Quik LS said:
very very very common problem. the nuts and studs are soft and are easily stripped. mostly by tire shops that use air impact wrenches.

since I have my tires off all the time - I've replace several studs. you can switch to chrysler sebreing nuts or go to the 03+ LS nuts (which were redesigned).

So, the lugs from a 03 sebring would work on the ls?

Just my 2 cents

:bsflag: [They want to charge you to fix the studs, because they are swollen? Hmm, I know steel can rust, but if they had just done a brake job, how did it swell up to the point that they can’t remove it without damaging the studs so quickly? It sounds to me like they didn’t follow the specs for torque or sequence.

Guessing they probably just impact wrenched those succkers on there for permanent, I usually try to tell my local shop to hand torque them and they usually will do that, friend of mine that work at the tire place that did it last time said the book says to torque em to like 100lbs.

Members online

No members online now.
Back