New LS OWNER saying HI and a have few questions!

y2flyy

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey how are you guys. Well I'm a proud new owner of an LS v6 2004. The LS was my dream car since release. I saved up for a year and got one a few weeks ago (a good upgrade from my 2000 dodge neon).
I am 24 yrs old and have been teased a lot for driving an "old mans car". I just think this car is superior in design against the lexus, bmx and mercedes in its class.
Anyway the car is great handles beautifully. I have a few questions if anyone can help me
1. where or how can I purchase a OEM chrome grill (like the ones equipped in the 2005 models)????
2. also I want to upgrade the stereo (I want it a lot louder) does anyone have any suggestions????
3. does it hurt to leave the bottom headlights on (im not sure if its the fog lights or what). I know it sounds crazy but they look so DAMNED cool to me!!!!

4. Also I already have LOJACK installed is the current security system (were the engine wont start without the keys) good enough in preventing theft????

Thanks alot
y2flyy

y2flyy said:
Hey how are you guys. Well I'm a proud new owner of an LS v6 2004. The LS was my dream car since release. I saved up for a year and got one a few weeks ago (a good upgrade from my 2000 dodge neon).
I am 24 yrs old and have been teased a lot for driving an "old mans car". I just think this car is superior in design against the lexus, bmx and mercedes in its class.
Anyway the car is great handles beautifully. I have a few questions if anyone can help me
1. where or how can I purchase a OEM chrome grill (like the ones equipped in the 2005 models)????
2. also I want to upgrade the stereo (I want it a lot louder) does anyone have any suggestions????
3. does it hurt to leave the bottom headlights on (im not sure if its the fog lights or what). I know it sounds crazy but they look so DAMNED cool to me!!!!
Thanks alot
y2flyy

Hello,I would recomend ebay for your grill.you can find alot on there for the LS.I know my factory radio,which is the premium alpine 6-cd changer,is also laking the sound that I want,but I like the 6 disc in dash cd.I am going with a pioneer head unit for mine in the coming month's.im also changing out my factory speakers.I wouldn't see why it would hurt to leave the lights on,but I know here in louisiana it's illegal to have your fog lights on if it's not foggy.
4. Also I already have LOJACK installed is the current security system (were the engine wont start without the keys) good enough in preventing theft????

Last edited by a moderator:
y2flyy said:
All the grills fit each other model years - so many LS owners are getting the 04 grills and putting them on 01... Try fordpartsnetwork.com - Torrie gives get customer service and good pricing.

y2flyy said:
there are a few threads on this - if you replace the stock unit with an aftermarket unit you'll need:
  • Harness to connect aftermarket head unit to existing LS wiring = Parts Express part number 265-610, Metra part number 70-1771.
  • Head unit mounting kit - PAGAN MODEL NUMBER 1943/IK-5000
y2flyy said:

nope - that's what I do

Welcome aboard!

y2flyy said:
I am 24 yrs old and have been teased a lot for driving an "old mans car".

I'm 28 and work with a bunch grobians who can't get big enough lift kits for their pickup trucks... :W to the club. :Beer

I do not know much about the LS, but I did test drive it when it first came out. The ONLY thing that dissappointed me was the fact that you could not get the manual with the V8. Other than that, I love the car.

:W to the LvC, as you can see there are quite a few ppl here that love their LS' and can help.
:Beer

y2flyy said:
(a good upgrade from my 2000 dodge neon).

That's for sure and the LS is not a kids car. But a car to be proud of owning and a car that has some boost to go! You don't have to worry about putting a coffee can on it to make it seem like a car with some Hp!

y2flyy said:
Get use to it! Just know that you are a bit wiser for your knowledge of what you own!

:W to :V

Welcome to the LS forum!

I have upgraded my stereo and I have the 00 head unit which I believe isnt a Alpine unit. Anyway I put in Alpine 4x6's and add a 10" Alpine Type S subwofer in a small enclosed box that fits perfectly in the trunk and its powered by a Alpine 200 watt single channel amp. It THUMPS but not like you are a gangster thump more like I got this smooth ride with this smooth system.

For now the future holds my iPod getting wired into the factory setup and some little Alpine dome tweeters for more treble.

Good luck chose wisely..........chose ALPINE system!

I have a small typing error I meant to say 5x7/6x8 sorry. The front and rear doors take 5x7/6x8 size not 4x6. Good luck!

I upgrade my stereo with:

- upgraded all four door speakers with Alpine SPS-570A 5"x7"/6"x8" 2-way
- upgraded the console speaker with Rockford Fosgate FRC3203 - 3.5" Punch 2-way
- replaced the rear subs with Sony Xplod 1000w Amplifier and 2 x 12" Subwoofers (XM-2165GTX amplifier / 2x XS-L1200B 12" subwoofer)
- added Rockford Fosgate 1 Farad Digital Capacitor

The head unit was strong and clear enough - in my opinion.

1'm 19 and love the car...
how loud do you want to go. We all have different tastes and preferences. This is mine...

subs.jpg

3000watts devided into 3 12" Clif Design CDOs and inforont is my school gear.

3000 watts!? I'm running 1000 to 2 12's and can't stand the trunk rattle. Did you dynamat the entire trunk, or just deal with the rattle?

y2flyy said:

Don't worry about the teasing, just show people the true power of american luxury by smoking them off the line.

:W

:gr_hail: Alpine Head Units

Look elseware for the rest of your equipment. You'll be happier sound wise and in the wallet.

slagburn said:
I'm 28 and work with a bunch grobians who can't get big enough lift kits for their pickup trucks... :W to the club. :Beer

There's nothing wrong with pickup trucks with big lift kits as long as you don't red neck it up. :L

Not trying to make enemies but you should definetly go with a Clarion head unit. Much better power and sound quality. Also in the future you might want to go with SIRIUS. Who can say no to every NFL game. Clarion has a music catcher feature which is great. It lets you record your cd to the head unit. The quality of the the sound remains good and no need to haul cds everywhere. Just my opinion...

When I installed my head unit, I've simply added a 200 watt amp which made a huge difference. :dj:

Hey man, just knowing u worked hard and endured such a long wait for your LS and soon to be custom stereo gets me PUMPED.
NOW there are many grills for your LS, depending on your prefrences
1. LSE grill
2. McLeran grill
3. OEM grill
4. Tenaz grill ( horizontal and vertical )

My FAVORITE part: STEREO SYSTEM ( 1350 bucks) worth it man
REAUDIO!!
SUBS: 2 12 inch RE audio XXX subwoofer - ported in 4 cu ft enclosure
AMPS: 2 Hifonics BRUTUS bd1500. 1500 rms x 2 at 1 ohm
COMPS: RE AUDIO comps ( components include tweeters, midbass, and speakers)
HEADUNIT: Not too picky here Alpine or Pioneer is fine: make sure there are 5 EQ presets to regulate bass frequency levels.

As for installation u should go to a pro to do this. If your in New England, i'll do it for you.

RIMS: Specific rims can only fit on the LS.
I suggest KATANA SPAZIO 19" or if u really pimpin 20". They fit perectly.

Some one was amazed at the 3000 watts???
This system right here is 7000 watts at 3000 RMS ( Continuous power) an crstal clear!!
But clif designs man. nice system. i see you went sealed to optimize maximum SQ.

kudisbetta said:
Hey man, just knowing u worked hard and endured such a long wait for your LS and soon to be custom stereo gets me PUMPED.
NOW there are many grills for your LS, depending on your prefrences
1. LSE grill
2. McLeran grill
3. OEM grill
4. Tenaz grill ( horizontal and vertical )

My FAVORITE part: STEREO SYSTEM ( 1350 bucks) worth it man
REAUDIO!!
SUBS: 2 12 inch RE audio XXX subwoofer - ported in 4 cu ft enclosure
AMPS: 2 Hifonics BRUTUS bd1500. 1500 rms x 2 at 1 ohm
COMPS: RE AUDIO comps ( components include tweeters, midbass, and speakers)
HEADUNIT: Not too picky here Alpine or Pioneer is fine: make sure there are 5 EQ presets to regulate bass frequency levels.

As for installation u should go to a pro to do this. If your in New England, i'll do it for you.

RIMS: Specific rims can only fit on the LS.
I suggest KATANA SPAZIO 19" or if u really pimpin 20". They fit perectly.

Some one was amazed at the 3000 watts???
This system right here is 7000 watts at 3000 RMS ( Continuous power) an crstal clear!!
But clif designs man. nice system. i see you went sealed to optimize maximum SQ.

I think my subs are aimed bad, because 1000 RMS watts rattles my trunk more than I can stand to hear. 3000 seems like a lot for the LS, but not for other cars. Example, my friend has 2 12 JL W7's, 2 1000/1's, and a 450/4. Sounds nice and clean.

The LS has zero sound deadening, and I am way too lazy to install some myself. Any ideas as to how to minimize rattles without dynamat or a new box. I like the sound of my box now, and fiberglass takes a lot of time, so I want to keep it for at least 6 months.

Also looking into an indash tv/ headunit. Any suggestions? Any thoughts for a sub box over the rear middle seat. Make it look like the waterfall console of the corvette, except with 2 12's or 2 10's, not sure which.

You subs arent aimed wrong. No matter what direction they are facing they will rattle the trunck. I think u might be able to decrease rattle by about 50 percent if you do a few things to your lisence plate.
1. You could have a few layers of sound deadner underneath it. Make sure no part of the lisence plate is touching the car. Just a barrier between the lisence plate and the frame of LS

Basically the box you have is called a sealed enclosure usually used to get better sound quality and save trunck space. But i pretty sure u woulndt mund your system to be louder! The type of enclosure you have does not allow your woofers to his lower frequencies.
Now believe or not you can have your system TWICE as LOUD ( + 3 decibals) by just changing the enclosure or box.
This type of box is called a PORTED enclosure. Each subwoofer has a specific size box where is can perform best in SPL ( sound pressure level ) or Loudness or u can have a combination of both SQ and SPL. If u dont understand ask me and will explain much more specificly.

As for head units. I reccomend alpine. Never had a problem with them. Great quality. A Great reciever for a decent price is the alpine 7995.

I've been thinking about making a ported box, but don't have the money right now to upgrade the door speakers. I don't want the subs to be the only theing I hear. I currently have a sony head unit, decent, but looking for some more features like mp3.

I still need the trunk space though, so it'll be a tight squeeze for the box as well as my school supplies and anything else that is in there. I'm not new to car audio, so I know advantages and disadvantages of different setups. I just don't know if I want to shelf my fiberglass box I spent 3 weeks making, even thoug making a ported box should sound better and way LOUDER.

Members online

No members online now.
Back