New guy just saying hi/thanks and some pics

zoomin

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey LVC,

I have been lurking for the past few months (since I decided to start the LS search). Anyhoo, I just wanted to say Hi, introduce myself, and say thanks for the many useful/helpful post I have found on this site. I am a die hard blue oval guy, but I have only been playing with stangs. This is my first LMC product. I am also an engine development engineer @ FoMoCo in Dearborn and have spoken to a few involved in the LS program that have nothing but good things to say about it ... and no, I have not tracked down the cooling system engineer to give him a piece of my mind LOL!

I did my research here before I started searching and ended up scoring a 2000 v8 sport with 100K (170km Canadian car) on the clock for $1500. Thanks to you guys I knew the common probs and the fixes. this LS had a cracked degas bottle and was throwing the CHT out of range code (air in the system), the seller thought it was something much more involved and this gave me quite the upper hand.

replaced the degas, then the water outlet let go (guess I found the next bottleneck). I ended up swapping out the junk plastic unit for the Jag aluminum piece and while I was at it I replaced the upper and lower rad hoses. My hydraulic fan was also not coming on so this was a good time ditch that retarded system and instal an electric fan. I wasn't getting any misfires but I decided to put some new plugs into her anyways... eventually I will upgrade to some modular coils.

Now I have to replace the clock spring and SRS light, that damn 5 chimes 5 times over is driving me NUTS. Enough blah blah blah on to the pics... did I mention I LOVE THIS COLOUR!

The car does have some blemishes with the oxidizing aluminum bubbling and chipping away at the paint, hopefully I can take care of this in the summer, but overall she will make a great DD.

my two 32valve v8's on the drive
8617100789_5954e1791b_b.jpg

8618410520_7de647454e_b.jpg

8618409284_719af472cb_b.jpg

Man that fan pump was fun to remove!
8617291629_1e7d9dcee6_b.jpg

M4rk is also from Ontario, I'd be excited also if an engine development engineer for ford lived near me. Lots of knowledge that I'm sure we will all love to hear.

My question is, why Ls? Seems like your a 4.6 guy, what's better then a luxury Dohc 4.6?

Hey zoomin, welcome to LVC.
I share your pains with the cooling system, just finished swapping mine out to the aluminum Jag upgrade as well plus the rest of the system.

Looks like a nice GEN I LS, needs a little here and there.

More and more ON, CDN LS owners these days, we should have enough for a Meet soon.

Hey zoomin, welcome to LVC.
I share your pains with the cooling system, just finished swapping mine out to the aluminum Jag upgrade as well plus the rest of the system.

Looks like a nice GEN I LS, needs a little here and there.

More and more ON, CDN LS owners these days, we should have enough for a Meet soon.

Do it in Windsor.... :p

ON plates because I live in Windsor. I grew up in Toronto, went to uni in Thunder Bay, moved to Windsor to be close to Dearborn. I work in Dearborn and commute across the border daily (30 min drive door to door). Windsor meet would be sweet, but I will actually be in Ann Arbor @ MIS around mid may for the FSAE competitions.

BigRig, where in ON are you? And yes it does need quite a few things here and there... and there. But I enjoy wrenching, and hopefully I can chip away at each issue one by one until I have a well sorted DD. Tonight my interior door handle cable popped out of the catch again (thought I fixed this today)... YAY old cars haha.

I did Juggle the MKVIII idea around for a bit but the LS is a newer gen platform, and a very well thought out car. The idea of it originally being designed to be the new sn197 platform for the stang but in the end being too costly was a really attractive point too. I also like the lines of the LS a little more, but dont get me wrong the MKVIII is a sweet ride too. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if in 5ish years I start a thread about me building a blown mod motor and t56 swapped LS... if only cash was unlimited LOL.

This is the endgame LS for me! But I think I'm just gonna keep mine as a DD and keep dumping all the spare change into the Termi.
attachment.jpg

Now I have to replace the clock spring and SRS light, that damn 5 chimes 5 times over is driving me NUTS.

I believe the 5/5 chime has something to do with the battery being disconnected for an extended period of time or the odometer being altered. UNLESS you mean 3/2 accompanied by weird steering wheel control operation; that would probably be the clockspring.

Welcome to LVC!!! Good looking LS.

Care to get one of those involved with the LS Program to help us understand if there is a way to get aftermarket alternators work without spending $565 for DC Power(brand) alternator? There would be quite a few very appreciative members. Myself included.

welcome to lvc!!! Good looking ls.

Care to get one of those involved with the ls program to help us understand if there is a way to get aftermarket alternators work without spending $565 for dc power(brand) alternator? There would owould be quite a few very appreciative members. Myself included.

+1

Welcome to LVC!!! Good looking LS.

Care to get one of those involved with the LS Program to help us understand if there is a way to get aftermarket alternators work without spending $565 for DC Power(brand) alternator? There would be quite a few very appreciative members. Myself included.

Problem with the LS program is that most of the people on it were part of Jaguar and are long gone. This is especially the case with the AJ engine team, those were all Jag guys! I do know that the DEW version of the AJ engine was prototyped and developed in Dearborn so maybe I can get an answer... But what exactly is the issue? I see rockauto sells a bunch of different brands, the Motorcraft one @ $242.

Myrtle Beach would be sweet, but its approx 5hrs from me. How bout a meet at Ford World Headquarters, would make for a sweet photoshoot!

... How bout a meet at Ford World Headquarters, would make for a sweet photoshoot!

Just across the waters of Windsor ? I could possibly see myself making that long trek
... an 8hr drive for me, that puts my LS into the "high chance of breaking down" category.

Problem with the LS program is that most of the people on it were part of Jaguar and are long gone. This is especially the case with the AJ engine team, those were all Jag guys! I do know that the DEW version of the AJ engine was prototyped and developed in Dearborn so maybe I can get an answer... But what exactly is the issue? I see rockauto sells a bunch of different brands, the Motorcraft one @ $242.

Myrtle Beach would be sweet, but its approx 5hrs from me. How bout a meet at Ford World Headquarters, would make for a sweet photoshoot!

In short, thus far, only the OEM Motorcraft alternator is getting the correct signal from the pcm to charge at the correct voltage. DB Electrical offers a high output alternator but only one former active member seemed to get proper voltage results. Everyone else could not get it to charge anywhere near where it should be. There are a number of threads with some actual voltage results.

Members online

Back