new evap tray

Nitvid

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well this is the best evap tray I could come across, was $65 shipped to my house. it looks rough but the metal is all there and intact. now I have to figure out how to take off the canisters (if anyone can enlighten me, I'd appreciate it!). then I can take it to work, sandblast, very gently, and put it through the powder coat booth and my old girl is up and running!

20160310_150606.jpg

There are plastic tabs that protrude from the canisters and hook into the metal tabs of the tray. I honestly don't really remember how to remove them, I do remember that it was simple though. ;)

Edit:

See the 2 round parts that are slightly inserted into the tray? That's one side, the other side slides under the tray (Pic 2). Iirc, take a screwdriver and stick it in between the tray and canister and wedge it enough to slide the round postion from the tray. Then just pull it up and out.

IMG_0001_WEB.jpg

Pan_After.JPG

I had to drop the one on my 97 to replace the vent valve (it was full of sand and spider parts) and if my tray looked like that I wouldn't put it back on. I noticed rot on one I was looking at from Michigan. I ran away from this one as clean cheap ones are pretty common here.

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg

I am spoiled and rarely have to deal with even surface rust. I have bought parts over the years from the east coast and north east and when I have gotten them in (hard to find things like manual drivers side MN12 seat base) I nearly tossed them, when "surface" rust means half the thickness of the part flakes away, it is not a usable part.

Vacum canister tray.jpgvac tray.jpgI think your tray is fixable. Does'nt look rusted through. Blast, and PC will make it nice. I got a couple from CA, and just painted them. I did think about fiber glassing one. The paint they used is hard as rock, like valve covers.

Vacum canister tray.jpg

vac tray.jpg

i started to sandblast mine today, it looks and feels pretty solid. more sandblasting to do then powder coat, black, to match my car. I work in a sheet metal shop and the engineers told me if I didn't like how it turned out, they would measure and draw up some blue prints. have the metal sheared, formed, and welded, make it out of stainless, galvanized, or black steel and painted. I am planning on sticking with this though...

20160311_163709.jpg

20160311_163717.jpg

That isn't bad. Unless you could find just the tray, that price for both canisters included isn't bad either.

I couldn't remember if my Mark VIII was where I pried out the canister or my Grand Marquis, obviously it was the Mark VIII.

The FSM shows 4 bolts on each canister, that didn't look right so I didn't post it.

Here's a thread I posted on LOD with some good pictures of how to remove the canisters...

http://www.lincolnsofdistinction.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?34124-Replaced-my-EVAP-tray-today&highlight=evap+tray

Great write up! Thank you!! I purchased tray and brace bar. Just waiting winter to be done to replace them. Was thinking of making a mold so I could make these in fibreglass. Just not sure how to. Mine has rusted almost right through. Far too much salt used here in the winter.

put the tray in the burn off oven at work (big oven used to cook off old paint) and then back to the sand blaster. has a few pin holes in it, but it is still a TON better then the none that I have. going to have it powder coated anyway, after the few holes, its in decent shape, feels rather strong
20160314_145537.jpg

20160314_145522.jpg

Members online

Back