New 04 questions

slagburn

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I finally came to terms with the stealership and took her home last night. :zgreenbou Now for a few questions.

Since its a black vehicle the dealer recommended PermaPlate for a charge, having never heard of the stuff I said I would get back to them so they tossed it in for free... what is this stuff and do I want them spraying (or whatever they do) it all over my new car?

Is anyone in the aftermarket making QUALITY brake parts for these things? I've seen the SS brake 'hoses' but how about rotors? There are a few things on ebay but I've read a few things on here about the quality of some of that stuff not being up to par.

Thanks in advance.

There is a Brembo brake kit, that just recently became available for the 04 model, that is supposed to be great. I think it is the Gran Turismo level of their brake system. Not sure of the price though as they list it as a special order. I know it is fairly expensive though as some of the other they list can run around $1000 or more for the set, easy.

Did you get a V6 or V8? I have a V6 2004 and now really wish I had gotten the V8. When I got mine I wasn't able to test drive the 04 v8, only the 03 V8. I didn't feel a pick up in the V8 so I decided to keep the extra money and get the V6. Well, now I have driven a 04 V8, and man was I missing out. Not to mention the majority of aftermarket stuff is for the V8 only. I may still trade mine in for a V8 in a year or 2. I just love the car that much.

slagburn said:
Is anyone in the aftermarket making QUALITY brake parts for these things? I've seen the SS brake 'hoses' but how about rotors? There are a few things on ebay but I've read a few things on here about the quality of some of that stuff not being up to par.

Thanks in advance.

I bought the iRotor drilled and slotted rotors off of ebay. I'm not too pleased. The coating wore off right away (and I don't mean the friction surface) and I've noticed heat cracks on the surface. No, they aren't emminating from the holes. I just purchased the Brembo rotors from ebay. I tried the Axxis pads (also purchased from ebay) on my wife unit's LS and am totally DISsatisified. They produce twice the dust of the factory pads and squeal like a banshee!! I have the Raybestos Quiet-Pads on my LS and they are pretty dustless, but do squeal at times. I am going to use the Mintex pads on my LS with the Brembo rotors. I also have the ss lines from Stop-Tech. They have firmed up my pedal feel quite a bit. There isn't anything you can economically do with the 2 piston, aluminum front calipers. They are already race ready.

Enjoy the more agile feeling the V6 has over the V8. You aren't giving up much.

I use StopTech SS lines, drilled/slotted rotors, Porterfield Pads.

If you have the money top of the line - StopTech:

Big Brake Kits

StopTech four wheel Big Brake Upgrade for the 2004 Lincoln LS. The kit includes ST-40 4-piston front calipers painted red, black, or silver, ST-40 4-piston rear calipers painted red, black, or silver, 7075-T6 billet aluminum caliper mounting brackets, 355x32mm slotted, floating, front AeroRotors, 328x28mm slotted, floating, rear AeroRotors, 7075-T6 billet aluminum AeroHats with directional standoffs, StopTech SS (DOT compliant) front and rear brake lines, and Axxis Ultimate front and rear brake pads. Requires 18 inch or larger wheels, however not all 18 inch wheels will fit. Options: Drilled rotors - $100 per pair; Yellow or blue paint - $200 per pair of calipers and 30 day lead time. $5195.00 - Item No. 83-530-4743

or

Big Brake Kits

StopTech front wheel Big Brake Upgrade for the 2004 Lincoln LS. The kit includes ST-40 4-piston front calipers painted red, black, or silver, 7075-T6 billet aluminum caliper mounting brackets, 355x32mm slotted, floating, front AeroRotors, 7075-T6 billet aluminum AeroHats with directional standoffs, StopTech SS (DOT compliant) front brake lines, and Axxis Ultimate front brake pads. Requires 18 inch or larger wheels, however not all 18 inch wheels will fit. Options: Drilled rotors - $100 per pair; Yellow or blue paint - $200 per pair of calipers and 30 day lead time. $2595.00 - Item No. 83-530-4700

Good grief, that's a lot of coin for brakes!!! I bet they're outstanding on the track though.

One note I'd like to make. DON'T use cross drilled rotors for a daily driver. They're VERY prone to stress cracks, and most (if not all) widely available on Ebay are just straight drilled, no treating or dimpling to reduce the possibility of cracking.

Fastbird said:
One note I'd like to make. DON'T use cross drilled rotors for a daily driver. They're VERY prone to stress cracks, and most (if not all) widely available on Ebay are just straight drilled, no treating or dimpling to reduce the possibility of cracking.
I have had mine for about a year, daily driver. I autocross twice monthly. The rotors have held up great. They are drilled between the vanes and all the drills are chamfered.

Quik LS said:
I have had mine for about a year, daily driver. I autocross twice monthly. The rotors have held up great. They are drilled between the vanes and all the drills are chamfered.

Ditto, except for the autocross. My heat cracks are just that. The stock rotors did it too.

Thanks for the replies. I've done the SS lines / slotted rotor deal on some other vehicles with great results, not sure if this vehicle needs it yet but I do tend to drive at the edge of the stock braking ability.

Is the installation of the SS lines something that a competent shadetree mechanic can do? I know that some vehilces require the ABS HCU to be cycled via special machine in order to get all of the air out of the system.

VTOgre said:
Did you get a V6 or V8? I have a V6 2004 and now really wish I had gotten the V8. When I got mine I wasn't able to test drive the 04 v8, only the 03 V8. I didn't feel a pick up in the V8 so I decided to keep the extra money and get the V6. Well, now I have driven a 04 V8, and man was I missing out. Not to mention the majority of aftermarket stuff is for the V8 only. I may still trade mine in for a V8 in a year or 2. I just love the car that much.

I need to clarify the 'new' statement as the vehicle is 'preowned' with 12k on it, as such I wound up going with the V8 since the preowned V6 models were either spartan in the external appearence or just not my color.

Currently my employer supplies me with a loser cruiser to beat and bang up and down the LA / OC higways so this is strictly a weekend runabout and fuel economy isn't an issue right now.

Coming from truck / SUV / offroading background a radio flyer wagon is agile... this car is awesome!!!
:zgreenbou

BTTT... buried the question in the middle of ramble.

slagburn said:
Is the installation of the SS lines something that a competent shadetree mechanic can do?

I know that some vehilces require the ABS HCU to be cycled via special machine in order to get all of the air out of the system.

:Beer

I am looking into brakes myself, and being I own and operate a machine shop, I am currently looking into using Brembo blank disc brakes and inserting a groove partern all the way around the rotor. Will do several sets at a time, if anyone is interested in a set let me know.

Members online

No members online now.
Back