Need some help with a sub/amp...

TheBigL'sLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey, what's up guys? I just got a sub and amp and want to install it myself but am basically clueless about audio-anything. Here's what I bought:

Power Acoustik Plasma TS1440-2
Amplifier Type: 2-channel
RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 300W x 2
THD at 4-Ohm RMS Power: 0.02 %
Bridged RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 720W x 1
Speaker Level Inputs: yes
Preamp Outputs: yes
Built-In Crossovers: HP/LP
Bass Boost: 0 - 18 dB
Frequency Response: 10-30,000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio: 98 dB

[COLOR="Red"]Kicker 1100-Watt 12" Subwoofer w/Enclosure (VS12L5) 1100 Watts peak power
550 watts RMS
Dual Voice Coil
4 ohm ( I think)[/COLOR]

What I want to do is run it to the stock head. What am I going to need for the installation? Also, I realize that the amp's RMS is 720w, and the sub's is 550w (I got a steal of a deal on the amp so just went for it). How can I make this work? What I'm looking for is basically an outline of what needs to be done. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

dual voice coil, as in 4 ohms per coil? Is the wattage per coil or total (sorry, didn't look it up).

By the sound of it you can connect one coil to each channel and have 600W for a 550W speaker.

oh, forgot your other questions,

You'll need the following

Power lead for the amp, larger the wire the better, I'd go with 2 guage or larger

Remote lead to turn on the amp (22-18 gauge)

Ground wire, 8 or 4 gauge

Power fuse (not sure if this is with the amp or not but probably looking at a 60 amp fuse)

RCA cables to go from the head unit to the amp

Speaker wire to go from the amp to the speaker

You should just get an amplifier installation kit. It'll have all that stuff in it.

sorry, didn't see that you are running this to the stock head unit (I need to read things more thoroughly!).

You are going to need something to change your speaker level inputs into the RCA inputs (a line output converter) check out crutchfield for an example. You may also want a capacitor but I won't force that because this subject has been beaten to death :rolleyes:

well, your amplifier will just about double its output at 2 ohms if its stable. Your information didn't indiacate anything about 2 ohms.

yeah... i was told that my sub was 4 ohms but i guess not. given that it is 2 ohms, will my amp be a problem?

don't know, didn't see a rating for 2 ohms on the amp, even so, the amp is probably going to be pushing out way too much power because when you go into 2 ohms usually the power doubles.

What did you use to convert signal for RCA's out of the factory head unit?

I bought a cheap ass scosche and it's not working. I'll be running all new after I get my NAV head unit.

Do I need to tap into wires BEFORE the factory amp or????

Members online

No members online now.
Back