need some advice

eL eS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I am considering chroming or painting my intake on my 00V6 Sport. I would like to know if the added layer would cause the intake to retain too much heat.

I have seen this done on perfromance cars but never considered asking about the impact of heat retention. can someone provide me with some insight.

The air will heat up at idle, but once the car is moving, the air moves through the intake tube at such a high velocity that the difference between the intake temps and ambient temps will be about 3 degrees or so.

Go ahead and do it if you want to. :)

-Matt

P.S. I've seen this from datalogging on my friend's Mustang which has a metal cold air intake.

Do you still have the stock intake, or a cone put on? Cause it would be neat to see both ways. The painting would look awesome.

eL eS, did you ever get around to painting or plating the intake? Post some pics if you did.

not yet/.... I have been working in my garage building benches and shelves and putting up peg board to organize my tools that my grandfather bequeathed me.

I think I ma going to paint it using the paint kits they sell for brake calipers.

Can anyone put forth any technical reasons why I should not do it?

Duplicolor makes a bunch of colors in engine paint now - AutoZone or Pepboys.

awesome thanks for the lead. I have the V6 and the object I wish to paint is the Intake manifold. It is Silver with a rough kind pitted surface. I want to smooth it and paint it with something than can take the heat of hell's kitchen.

You can also try the metalcast spray for an anodized look. Not sure how blue chrome or red chrome would look on an LS intake. But it may be worth the attempt.

I can't think of any reasons not to do it. For the miniscule amount of heat you might pick up, you'd probably reject just as much in the opposite set of conditions. Even if you did, you'd never be able to feel it, and I don't know if a dyno would even see it. Heck you'd see more of a difference driving into a valley on a cold night than you would with paint.

Git -er- dun!

thanks folks. Now for the color. I already have red calipers should I stick with red. I am not opposed to repaint the calipers for that matter.

My LS is black and I have the Tranz billet grill.

Almost any color will look good on a black car. Mine is white, so I have to be picky about which colors to use ofr any project i do. I think a red or silver/chrome would look best on black.

eL eS said:
i havent work with those chrome paints and am skeptical of how they will turn out.

Posted is a pic with the duplicolor chrome paint. I think it looks pretty good, better than other ones I've seen, but you draw your own conclusions.

chrome1.jpg

SurfjaxLS said:
Posted is a pic with the duplicolor chrome paint. I think it looks pretty good, better than other ones I've seen, but you draw your own conclusions.

Wow that is bright!

I know! I've used the rustoleum chrome spray and it was crap. The duplicolor chrome actually looks like chrome. Of course only true chrome will look even better, but at $4 a can, it's not bad at all.

I am going to check out the duplicolor chrome and red and see what I think. The IM is a flat siler color now so I may go with the Chrome if they have it in the engine paint.

I don't think the chrome comes in engine paint, but silver and aluminum do. You can try the metalcast system if you want a red chrome. It is able to take up to 500 degrees.

eL eS said:
I have considered red but I will have to see the red chrome. I am a see it kind of guy.

That must be hard, being a see it kind of guy trying to be one of the first to paint the intake.

metalcast_wheel_red.jpg

Ex1FanAft.jpg

yeah and honestly I lack the artistic ability to draw a stick man even if given a sharp pencil, straight edge and a compass. I am an electricity/electronics guy mostly and work in the IT business. But I do have several years in weapons systems E/E, mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic systems. I am mostly a logic guy; in love math and science so when it comes to making it look I basically suck.

I use the beat it to fit and paint it to match approach.

Thanks for the examples. I think I like it; it is close to the Bucc's Colors. Thanks

Members online

No members online now.
Back