Need some advice on purchasing a 98 lsc

Joebug

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
hello Forum

I just checked out this 98 LSC collectors edition Mark 8. It is fairly clean with only 77000 miles a little bit of work needs to be done that I could see, such as, door lights are missing lenses, the window button is broken, and the front headlamps lenses are all fogged up. the front and rear bumper looks to have been resprayed (decent), and while I was sitting in the car I could hear the air ride compressor kick on, sounded like it was coming from the passenger side somewhere, its red with tan interior, sunroof, loaded, the guy is firm with $4500... is this car worth it? how do you repair the fogged up lenses? are they available aftermarket? there is no rust on the car except for the undercarraige showing rust here and there... but not rot! surface rust. tranny fluid was pink, oil was tan, traction control was turned off for some reason.
what do you guys think?
here are a couple pics...

linc1.jpg

linc2.jpg

that's chrome sounds like a good buy...except the chrome.LOL when you said the traction control was turned off is there a check ABS warning or something like that, because the traction control, if you shut it off, turns back on automatically when you restart the car.

yeah its a big strip of chrome along the bottom of the car. the traction control indicated it was off and there was an airbag light on the dash that was illuminated come to think of it... I started the car a couple times while i was there and it never reset itself. Obviously there is a problem but is it something I can use to talk him down, I wonder if it would be an easy fix.

is that something a backyard mechanic can repair? A buddy of mine has one of those code readers, do you think I would be able to use one of those to find out what the problem is? thanks

that's chrome sounds like a good buy...except the chrome.LOL when you said the traction control was turned off is there a check ABS warning or something like that, because the traction control, if you shut it off, turns back on automatically when you restart the car.

That is funny, because my CE is the very same color minus the stick on chrome strip on the door.:p All of the issues that are happening are easy to fix. My CE had the ABS light on and the T/C light was on. The solution to this are ABS sensors that are on the inner axle shafts on the rear of the car. They are connected one on each side in the trunk, and fed throught the floor. The sensor is held in place by a 10mm bolt. Easy fix. That will take care of two lights at once. I've never had an airbag problem before, perhaps someone else will chime in there. I vote get the car, and complain about the issues to get the price down.

That is funny, because my CE is the very same color minus the stick on chrome strip on the door.:p All of the issues that are happening are easy to fix. My CE had the ABS light on and the T/C light was on. The solution to this are ABS sensors that are on the inner axle shafts on the rear of the car. They are connected one on each side in the trunk, and fed throught the floor. The sensor is held in place by a 10mm bolt. Easy fix. That will take care of two lights at once. I've never had an airbag problem before, perhaps someone else will chime in there. I vote get the car, and complain about the issues to get the price down.

werent 98 abs sensors hard to find?

Also check if the blend door works..If it doesnt i wouldnt give him even 4k for it..

If you get the car, I got your abs sensors, on one condition, the chrome on side has to come off!

The blend door? is that what directs the heat from floor to upper vents or something? seems to have a few issues already...

what about this 98 lsc? this car has had the blend door replaced, 77000 miles, black on black asking $4500

lsc.jpg

the blend door actuator is what switches heat to cold and vice versa..It costs upwards of 1000 bucks if its broke. There are ways to test it since its prob warm were your at..Someone will chime in and help you..

Man, them Gen 2's are high up there. If you got that much money to spend, I could point you to some nice Gen 2's down south for half the price.

The blend door? is that what directs the heat from floor to upper vents or something? seems to have a few issues already...

what about this 98 lsc? this car has had the blend door replaced, 77000 miles, black on black asking $4500

I'm partial to black on black cars myself, but Collector's Editions are up there pretty high on my list also. It all depends on what you want...
You're the one that's able to get up close and personal with these cars and see which one you like the most.

FYI, to test the blend door, turn on the climate control on vent or something, and set it to one of the extremes (either 60 degrees or 90 degrees), and wait for the air to turn to whatever temperature. The car will have to be warmed up, btw. Once you get either hot or cold air, set it to the opposite end of the spectrum and see if you get the opposite. If it goes from cold to hot, or from hold to cold, then you know it's working correctly. If it stays cold, or stays hot, then the blend door actuator arm is probably broken. It's a $30-$40 part, but if you take it somewhere to have it done, the labor will cost anywhere between $500 and $1000 (or more). There's a tech article on here that explains how to do this in detail. I followed it to fix mine back in 2004, way before I had any of the mechanical knowledge I have now, and did it in 4 hours start to finish. It's not hard, just lots of little things.

well the cars are pricey up here because KBB says they are worth that much and everybody thinks their car is in excellent condition so they advertise for the highest price... GMAN: sure you could point me in the right direction for a nice car for half the price, just have to have it shipped, thats all lol

i will go look at the black/black one over the weekend... seems to be pretty nice too but I liked the Redcollectors edition in earlier post but the chrome has me worried about rust underneath too, and the lights are fogged up pretty bad, there seems to be more and more coming out every week

well the cars are pricey up here because KBB says they are worth that much and everybody thinks their car is in excellent condition so they advertise for the highest price... GMAN: sure you could point me in the right direction for a nice car for half the price, just have to have it shipped, thats all lol

All you need is a week vacation, a one way ticked and ROAD TRIP!:p I would bring a friend.

I wouldn't consider foggy lights a prob, that's a very easy fix...

As far as the climate goes, is it an climate problem, or location? Meaning, is it coming out dash and floor...that's a vac leak, also very easy fix

note the wheels are on backwards on the black/black...so the owner of it doesn't care too much..knowing these cars, or cars in geneneral will help you with pricing, check suspension stuffs..listen to the motors, test drive em, be aggresive with em, as if they were your own
"Drive it like you stole it"

If you get the car, I got your abs sensors, on one condition, the chrome on side has to come off!

how much are the abs sensors anyway? should i have heard the air ride compressor? it was kind of noisy... also if I were to get this car the chrome would definately come off.. lol

Contact Max at Five Star Ford. The ad is on the right side of the screen. First call your local Ford Parts dept, then call Max and be amazed at the price difference. You can't go wrong with the CE, as I have the very same color. Is the color the Prarie Tan or the charcoal? Also, check the telescoping steering wheel, it will not doubt be faulty. Either wont go up and down or in and out. If it is still doing both, then great. Everyone here with Gen 2's have the same problem. If it has a sunroof, open and close it a couple of times, and tilt it up and down. I would also, if he lets you check for leaks.

hey there,

it has the tan interior, sunroof didnt leak and the steering wheel went in and out and up and down as it should have... not sure about the blend door but I'm pretty handy with my tool kit. its blowing cold now and I wont be driving too much in the winter so it may not be a big deal, its the other electrical issues that have me concerned. the traction control and the abs lights....but like you guys said it should be an easy fix.
well I'll see if he wants to move on the price, Im already putting money into it and didnt even get it! lol
here is a pic of the interior

lincceint.jpg

The ABS/Traction control might not be as easy of a fix as mentioned above..........it wasn't for me.

I spent about $1,000 and 6-months to get mine right. Mostly trial and error, diagnostics and trying used parts.

The ABS control module was the problem with mine. It took a while to figure out that the ABS control module was the actual problem, the diagnostics computer said so, but most here didn't believe that (the error code I was getting on the diagnostics computer can mean a couple of problems). ABS control modules are not available new for 98's anymore. You have to buy used. My first used one did not work. I also don't think abs sensors are available new for the 98 either, if that is your problem..........again, you have to buy used.

Headlights might not be an easy fix either. Is the chrome inside the light OK? If it is not, that is not an easy fix.........unless Jamie started refurbishing Gen II headlights.

I'm not trying to dissaude your purchase, but the problems with the car might not be as easy as everybody mentions, they weren't on my car.

Ken

Ken, Thanks for the insight, come to think of it the chrome inside the light looked a little bit pitted looking or flakey. it was hard to see in there, too foggy lol
Yeah as nice as the collectors edition is, it might need more work than other ones that are popping up on craigslist and elsewhere. This black/black one might have the wheels on backwards but it might be in better condition. then again I could drive away and the traction light and abs lights might come on too...
have to see which one is better that needs less work, I'm looking to put gas in and go... lol

joe

If I had a choice as you do between the two you have spoken of I would go with the CE.
The head lights can be replaced if the chrome is bad plus it is not stopping you from driving it. Blend door if bad can be fixed as you said you are handy with a tool kit it might just take you longer than 4 or 6 houras if you just take your time. ABS and Traction control lights, 95% of the time it is the sensors and yes you have to look to get them used because they are no longer available. Oh by the way to answer one of your questions about fixing the foggy head lights, go to the store and buy the 3M headlight restore kit, spend two hours in the driveway with your cordless drill after reading and following the instructions on the package and they are fixed. Just tape off around the headlights as they say, I used 3M painters tape.

All in all just imagine trying to get into a Black leather interior in the heat and humidity we are experiancing this year.

If you are looking to buy a car to put gas in and go then go to the dealership and buy new with a warranty. If you want to drive something that you will not see 10 of a day driving to the local store, can do a bit of work for yourself and enjoy getting behind the wheel everytime then buy a Mark, put your foot into it and smile all the way.

Just my opinion.

Ok So now Im thinking if i should even get involved with these cars...with no replacement parts available it just sucks...i mean I can get every part for a 67 pontiac or chevy but not a lincoln? what happened? lol
I want to get this car but it needs some sensors which arent available...what is everybody doing out here? driving with warning lights on? how do we get around the ABS warning light and the traction control situation? any info appreciated.
thanks

Members online

No members online now.
Back