Need help with diagnoising 2000 Lincoln LS 3.9 v8

Someone pass me something to bang my head on please!

and it happens again, another thread where a month of trouble shooting was wasted because of an omission of a critical fact.

so am i reading this right, you tore it down before, noticed that there was a broken part inside the engine, but put it back together without fixing the(that) problem?

well if your timing chain broke, lets hope that all the valves on that side didn't get smashed in...

Okay from start to end... I had a very rough idle on the car with a little bit of smoke coming from the back of engine by the windshield which I could clearly see was coming from oil being burnt on the COVER, so I accurately replaced the cover gaskets, plugs, and coils (which did solve that issue) upon taking the covers off during that job I did notice that the "chain guide" was broken off, and stuck to the chain itself, I was so focused and clued in on the cover gaskets that I ignorantly ignore it because at the time I chalked it up as "well I did not just break it, it must have been that way for quite some time and never gave me an issue, because I could clearly see the cover gaskets were bad and def leaking oil so that must be my only problem." Foolishly I assumed and than ignored. Again I am young and this was my first break down. I have always worked side by side with my brother (a mechanic) doing classics, routine maintence such as oil changes, brakes, diagnoisis of issues along with some other exp with 2 stroke dirtbikes amongst other mechanical things.
However I would just replace the timing chain ( I just helped my brother with a 06' STS timing chain just finished it and is G2G.) but the timing chain also DOES NOT solve the newer issue of the smoke from exhaust which we believe is most def a head or head gasket issue. SO with that were looking at taking heads in to make sure they are in correct tolerences, as well as a timing chain issue that may have also f'd up a piston or valve. Have I learned alot during this whole or deal? Yes. I have learn a LOT about engines and more specific about this engine as well as errors and over looks and mistakes I have made as well as things I have done well such as using a compression tester, a leak down tester, how to keep track of sensor wires, throttle cables, hoses, and all the other things you have to disconnect and put back. I have learned alot more than I have lost. The vehicle itself was not an everyday car but instead a vehicle that was sitting for the last 2 years with no use. Do I wish I had not made that critical mistake? sure. Live and learn.

I have a 2006 DTS now that is in the garage (don`t worry I am not running a business, its my car) but I plan on taking the covers off the LS and taking a look at the chain and where it failed at. I heard it snapped and break and right away knew it was the chain, and knew my mistake at that very moment of the loud snap of a metal whip sound and my fatal error of the my hubristic assumption of the guide rail. I will take a picture if any of you would like to see it and see where it failed at and or what part I am talking about so you can better know and be aware if perhaps you or another fellow LS owner on here comes across the same issue.

also one last thing guys, I just would like to note that I DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY or cars to play "pretend mechanic" far from it. This vehicle has been sitting for over 2 years, with major body damage, and a frame that was COMPLETELY RUSTED through, it was a 4 inch gap in the frame that was missing from rust ( I actually took the car to a mechanic for upper control arm which the mech REFUSED to work on the car due to responsibility of his work being held to the integrity of the frame in case of failure/accident) . as well as rust through out the whole car, it was not worth the money to invest in nor to fix. The vehicle was either a DIY fix it or scrap it. I chose the former.
Again, Thanks to joe, i do apologize for my failure to relay important info and you trying to help me diagnoise without the correct and important info, I realize it was very un-intuitive almost as if someone says to solve this puzzle but with holds the most important piece to that puzzle. SOrry. Thanks again for your time.

Members online

No members online now.
Back