Need help with deciding on mufflers

hey hey hey....i have straight pipes after cats....no one wants to chop the cats off for me...

That doesn't sound bad at all, pete. What does the 2.25" pipe from resonators actually do to the sound? I am not looking to do any major exhaust mods, just new mufflers and bigger tips to fill in the bumpers.

2.25" didn't do anything to the sound. I just figured I would do larger pipe where I could. Stock size is 2" on the gen 1. Gen 2 are already 2.25". Once I get some aeroturbine resonators, I will do 2.25" all the way up to the manifolds and a cat delete.

staight pipe or go F*ck urself...

My problem with straight pipes is they make the car sound faster than it is. Let's face it, the LS ain't fast. At least, not relative to "fast" cars. I don't want to attract attention as being a fast car, only to have my ass handed to me when pulling up next to a GTO/G8 GT/etc.

I like the refined sound of the magnaflows, just to have it sound like a v8 when I want it to.

2.25" didn't do anything to the sound. I just figured I would do larger pipe where I could. Stock size is 2" on the gen 1. Gen 2 are already 2.25". Once I get some aeroturbine resonators, I will do 2.25" all the way up to the manifolds and a cat delete.

Oh yea sorry about that, forgot you had a crappy Gen1 ;)

:(
My problem with straight pipes is they make the car sound faster than it is. Let's face it, the LS ain't fast. At least, not relative to "fast" cars. I don't want to attract attention as being a fast car, only to have my ass handed to me when pulling up next to a GTO/G8 GT/etc.

I like the refined sound of the magnaflows, just to have it sound like a v8 when I want it to.

No idea, you can find out whenever I get a job and buy the Stainless works headers and not the cats to go with them Hahahahha

Oh yea sorry about that, forgot you had a crappy Gen1 ;)

Yep. it's teh secks though. :p

Hey man, if you like it, that's awesome. I just have my reasons for a quieter-than-straight-pipe exhaust on the LS. It doesn't sound "bad" by any means. It's just not for me. Now, on my chev-bomb... that's another story. I should take a video of that lol.

The shop called and says it sounds better without mufflers. I showed up and started it up and took it for a test drive and I like the sound. Sounds like a mustang GT; very agressive but not ridiculous. I'm gonna have them put the 4 inch tips and straight pipe; no mufflers. I was concerned about passing inspection but he says that I don't need mufflers for the inspection in PA as long as it's not too loud and if I have problems then to bring it back to him regarding the inspection. It does make the LS sound faster than it really is and nobody expects that sound out of an LS.

Will resonated tips help to mellow out the sound with running straight pipes? It puts out a very beautiful and aggressive sound but I would like to mellow it out a bit. It sounds very similar to a mustang GT or the other mustang with the 427 written on the hood scoop.

Will resonated tips help to mellow out the sound with running straight pipes? It puts out a very beautiful and aggressive sound but I would like to mellow it out a bit. It sounds very similar to a mustang GT or the other mustang with the 427 written on the hood scoop.

I have resonated tips and without the mufflers it sounds like a big a$$ harley or something, didnt like it so I went with the SLP's and x-pipe, mellowed it out a ton.

I did a whole custom job. Went 2.25 from converters all way back and deleted the resonators put in an h-pipe and pair of 2.5 in cherry bomb extreme mufflers and it sounds amazing!!! Very close to a mustang gt without cats but definitely not as loud. I'm now working on getting my cats cut open and gutted and then welded back together again for inspection reasons. Here in pa we do have emissions but it's all visual so if they are on the car thats all you need ,doesn't matter if they are functional or not! And your usual gas cap check. I hope i can get this done!!! I don't care if it sounds like its faster or not i like to be different and the sound this car makes is very unique and can be mean when it wants to be. I just love being able to hear the car i drive especially if it has a v-8. I went to pick up dinner the other day pulled in parking lot and gave her some gas and turned it off while walking through parking lot this girl approaches me and say "that's a v-8 in that right? Wow it sounds nice i thought it was a mustang but your car sounds better". I can set off alarms if i want but it doesn't sound like a truck or car with no muffler...but without the cats i dunno but i will find out soon i hope!!

Bassani.

Accept nothing less.

True that! :) I love that sound with the LS.. Yes, I had to copy you..

Here's a few vids of mine. I just replaced the stock mufflers with magnaflows, and did 2.25" pipe from resonators back.

So I was reading the LS Girls and you said that you wouldn't have girls on your car because they would scratch the paint.. What are those donuts in dirt doing for you? :D

And why would you only do 2.25? If your going to replace all that stainless, you minds well have made it worth your time and gone up to 2.5..?

staight pipe or go F*ck urself...

I had them like that.. I have to agree with Pektel, too loud for what the car has..

Now for the cats, if you buy the strait through ones like I did, the sound isn't quieted that much.. I ran the car with no cats, with the old cats cut off right behind them, and just the new cats.. With the no cats and the new, it maybe sounded like the engine RPMs were 100 less.. That's it.. Just my .02

So I was reading the LS Girls and you said that you wouldn't have girls on your car because they would scratch the paint.. What are those donuts in dirt doing for you? :D

And why would you only do 2.25? If your going to replace all that stainless, you minds well have made it worth your time and gone up to 2.5..?

yeah, I probably shouldn't have done those donuts on dirt covered asphalt, although I did not see any damage from it when inspecting and washing the car right afterwards. The donuts last night on bare asphalt were so much more fun. Those were sweeeeeeeet :D

Concerning the pipe diameter. 2.5 loses too much back pressure and shifts the torque curve futher up the rpm scale, so the car is more of a dog off the line. 2.25" is ideal for my application. Although top end would be better with a 2.5" system.

Also, I only have 2.25" from the resonators back. The resonators, and the pipe from the cats back to them, are still stock.

Yea, I couldn't come up with the money to do a full custom exhaust so I just had everything welded in.. It's custom up to the second sensors..

I bet those were more fun.. Especially to the girls who say, "wow that 'car' has a lot of power.." :lol:

So if i want to mellow it out a little, besides putting mufflers on, would baffles or resonated tips work? If so, where is a good place to get them?

Members online

No members online now.
Back