Need help with deciding on mufflers

lostsoul77

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the LS to get new mufflers put on today in an hour. I wanted the Flowmaster 40's for that deeper, agressive sound; I listened to several soundclips on youtube and didn't like how the Magnaflows sounded. I'm leaving everything in tact and only replacing the mufflers and having them add 4" chrome tips to fill in the space in the bumper cover. The shop also gave me the option of a Vortex VX series muffler which he says is identical to the Flowmasters.

FLOWMASTER PRICING:
mufflers 110.00 each = 220.00
labor @85.00 = 85.00
misc. parts @ 11.00 = 11.00
4"x8" tips @50.00 ea.= 100.00
------------------------------
total = 416.00

VORTEX PRICING:
mufflers 90.00 each = 180.00
labor @85.00 = 85.00
misc. parts @ 11.00 = 11.00
4"x8" tips @50.00 ea.= 100.00
------------------------------
total = 376.00

Should I buy the Vortex and save 40-50 bucks or just get the Flowmasters? Any other suggestions?

Thanks....

No idea on the vortex, but just remember flowmasters are for sound, if you are expecting any performance gains, you went with the wrong muffler. If it's flows vs vortex I would go with flows just cause i've never heard of vortex, but you could always test the vortex out so you know first hand if they sound good. I went from borla to flowmaster and soon to magnaflows, I am looking for the right muffler.

No idea on the vortex, but just remember flowmasters are for sound, if you are expecting any performance gains, you went with the wrong muffler. If it's flows vs vortex I would go with flows just cause i've never heard of vortex, but you could always test the vortex out so you know first hand if they sound good. I went from borla to flowmaster and soon to magnaflows, I am looking for the right muffler.

I'm only looking for sound which is why I wanted to go to the flows. He says that since Flowmaster lost their patent, that many companies are copying their design now and that the Vortex VX series are almost an exact replica.

So, what is the solution to achieve a nicely refined tone, without any of that raspy sound? I also don't want it to sound like a dodge RAM.

Most of the clips on youtube sound either too raspy, or unrefined for my taste.

Youtube video's also dont do justice. It's hard to tell unless you hear it in person. Thats why I'm putting on all these mufflers on my ls. I may spend a lot on them but I'll find the perfect muffler for my ls that way.

I decided to go with the Vortex VX series mufflers. He said I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between those and the flowmasters unless he actually told me.

I decided to go with the Vortex VX series mufflers. He said I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between those and the flowmasters unless he actually told me.

and the verdic?

and the verdic?

I won't know until about 4pm when I go to pick it up. I'll try and find a way to post a video as one of my kids' friends stole my damn camcorder! Not sure how well my iphone will pick up the sound, but i'll give it a shot in a bit. I'm hoping the 4" tips will fill in nicely.....

This will be my first mod on the LS so I'm pretty excited..LOL

I have cherry bombs on my camo 85 Chev pickup. You want to talk about loud...

I guess this is a done deal already. But what about Corsa?

That doesn't sound bad at all, pete. What does the 2.25" pipe from resonators actually do to the sound? I am not looking to do any major exhaust mods, just new mufflers and bigger tips to fill in the bumpers.

That doesn't sound bad at all, pete. What does the 2.25" pipe from resonators actually do to the sound? I am not looking to do any major exhaust mods, just new mufflers and bigger tips to fill in the bumpers.

Stock size.

Members online

No members online now.
Back