Need Help with Angel Eyes: Ken

IamEli

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Heres the deal, I just got a set of used Angel eyes of another member here and They look great. Now when I bought them he told me that one of the rings sometimes is not as bright or even on and all you have to do is wiggle the wires and it works. Well for some reason it will not stay bright:( . When I first start my car, they all look the same, but once I get where Im goin, i get out and look and the one ring is much dimmer, but still on. I cannot figure out if it a loose wire, bad ballest or something. Has anyone had this problem before or have any insight??
Thanks,
Elisha

More than likely the inverter is going bad. The rings won't go bad unless they break. I suggest you buy a couple from the place that Mike posted above. Also, it is recommended that when you replace them to replace both inverters at the same time.

I checked the inverter by switching the two plugs and the same ring stayed dim and flickered, so the only thing I can think is that the wiring or the halo is going bad. So i guess i will have to take it apart. My question is...When I put the headlight in the oven, I have to take off the inverter right? Mine is mounted on the back of the headlight so I must remove that first otherwise I could damage it right? Or can I just leave it on?
Thanks for the Help,
Elisha

B4 You Go Baking

I have dealt with a few of these Angel Eyes. I would check the wiring before you go dismantling the lights. The wiring to the actual inverter might not be solid. There's not really anything you can accomplish by opening the headlights unless you are actually going to replace the ring itself. What you should do first is swap the harnesses between the two headlights. If the ring is still dim with the harness that lights both of the other halos brightly then you have a problem with the ring. If not, you simply have an inverter that is not securely wired - that's a very simple fix.

I did swap the connectors from the inverter to the rings and the same ring stayed dim. So i do not think it could be the inverter. The only think I can think is that the wiring in the headlight is loose by the ring or something like that? Can these lights ground out?? If there is a wire loose somwhere and it is touching bare metal can it ground? I would imagine so but i have to ask anyways. The really weird thing is that the light does not go out, it is just really, really dim. so thats why i think the ring is bad, but I find that hard to beleive because they are supposed to be good for like ever.

IamEli said:
I did swap the connectors from the inverter to the rings and the same ring stayed dim. So i do not think it could be the inverter. The only think I can think is that the wiring in the headlight is loose by the ring or something like that? Can these lights ground out?? If there is a wire loose somwhere and it is touching bare metal can it ground? I would imagine so but i have to ask anyways. The really weird thing is that the light does not go out, it is just really, really dim. so thats why i think the ring is bad, but I find that hard to beleive because they are supposed to be good for like ever.
I'm not sure you understood what I was saying. A good way to test to see if it's the wiring or inverter is to swap the inverters period - not the connectors on the individual inverters. If it's the inverter, when you swap it between the two headlights, the same ring on the opposite headlight will be dim. If it's the ring or the ring's wiring, it will still be dim when the inverters are swapped. Do you see what I'm saying?

Yeah, i see exactly what your saying, Im gonna do that today. Last nite I got them workin all nite, then when I get home, my whole passenger headlight is out. So i think I willl just order the new inverters and replace both sides and then go from there. The only wierd thing is in order to get the passenger side working at the beggining of last nite, I had to put tension on the wire that was going into the headlight for the ring that is dim, then it worked fine. then the whole damn thing went out at the end of the nite. So i dont know.

guess this is a common problem, maybe? well one of mine went out. good timing because im working on my lights. need to order inverters. what temp do i cook the lights at. hey ken do you have a link to the instructions. i think you posted them a year or so ago, but i cant find them.

inverters

mholhut said:
Could just be the inverter... there are no ballasts on the CCFL's. Changing the inverter is pretty easy and inexpensive... about $4.50 through http://www.vibelights.com/alduin.html. Try hard wiring them as opposed to using the wire clips.

has anyone used these that are in this link, just making sure they will work with my ccfls?

They used to be elwirecheap.com but it seems like he changed his domain name. They were the only place I could find that had reasonable replacements other than umnitza. I've replaced both of my inverters with these and have had no problems yet.

mholhut said:
They used to be elwirecheap.com but it seems like he changed his domain name. They were the only place I could find that had reasonable replacements other than umnitza. I've replaced both of my inverters with these and have had no problems yet.
were the plugs the same or did you have to hard wire them?

are the wires from the inverter to the rings stock length? I tried extending mine once and the rings only came half on an flickered. I had to cut it back down to almost stock length before it would get bright again.
Eamonn

decibels5 said:
were the plugs the same or did you have to hard wire them?

They came with some sort of quick connect. You had to use the connectors that came with the inverter to connect it to the CCFL rings... I tossed them and just clipped all the wires, stripped them back a bit and made the connections with butt connectors. It doesn't matter which wire goes to which on the CCFL rings.

Members online

No members online now.
Back