Need Help Removing Hydraulic Pump

APOLLO24

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I got down to removing the alternator then going to pump. I have to give a lot of thanx to Joedirt and Dls8k for getting me up to this point. I I couldn,t get to the last bolt b/c of high pressure line. I can't get the line off the pump to get to that final bolt. I cut the 20mm wrench in half to give me some room to release the pressure line but could not get it to budge. No movement. Any advice on to what other tools I can use to get the line off? Should I now start going from the top of the car? I was even thinking of calling the dealer and buying the high pressure line and cutting the original off and then get to that final bolt. Does the dealer even sell this line seperately or does it come with fan assembly? Please help with any ainstructions on how to get that high pressure line off so I can finally remove pump and put new one in. so close yet so far. Thanks in advance. :Bang

APOLLO24 said:
I got down to removing the alternator then going to pump. I have to give a lot of thanx to Joedirt and Dls8k for getting me up to this point. I I couldn,t get to the last bolt b/c of high pressure line. I can't get the line off the pump to get to that final bolt. I cut the 20mm wrench in half to give me some room to release the pressure line but could not get it to budge. No movement. Any advice on to what other tools I can use to get the line off? Should I now start going from the top of the car? I was even thinking of calling the dealer and buying the high pressure line and cutting the original off and then get to that final bolt. Does the dealer even sell this line seperately or does it come with fan assembly? Please help with any ainstructions on how to get that high pressure line off so I can finally remove pump and put new one in. so close yet so far. Thanks in advance. :Bang
I ran into this same problem.........what I ended up doing was working a ratchet wrench behind the highpressure line, thus dropping the pump from its location on the block (it will take some time to get the bolt out, but if you keep working the pump out while your working on the last bolt you wont have a problem--this goes for installing it too). Instead of removing the line from the pump, remove it from the fan motor because it is a lot easier to remove the line from the pump when it is off the car. You should be able to work a ratchet wrench behind the highpressure line.......its a tight fit but that is how I have done it and how you have to do it.

When you get your pump off, remove the high pressure line from the pump and put it on your new pump--if i remember correctly, the new pump comes with that 20mm fitting but no line so just remove that and use the old one......follow me? Don't forget the teflon seals when putting it back on either.

You'll also need a puller to get your pulley off......go to autozone or a parts store with a tool checkout and get that. This job sucks.........there is no doubt about it. But you'll be happy when everything gets back together and runs like it supposed to. Best of luck and don't hesitate to ask more questions if you have a problem.

DLS8K said:
I ran into this same problem.........what I ended up doing was working a ratchet wrench behind the highpressure line, thus dropping the pump from its location on the block (it will take some time to get the bolt out, but if you keep working the pump out while your working on the last bolt you wont have a problem--this goes for installing it too). Instead of removing the line from the pump, remove it from the fan motor because it is a lot easier to remove the line from the pump when it is off the car. You should be able to work a ratchet wrench behind the highpressure line.......its a tight fit but that is how I have done it and how you have to do it.

When you get your pump off, remove the high pressure line from the pump and put it on your new pump--if i remember correctly, the new pump comes with that 20mm fitting but no line so just remove that and use the old one......follow me? Don't forget the teflon seals when putting it back on either.

You'll also need a puller to get your pulley off......go to autozone or a parts store with a tool checkout and get that. This job sucks.........there is no doubt about it. But you'll be happy when everything gets back together and runs like it supposed to. Best of luck and don't hesitate to ask more questions if you have a problem.

well dls8k pretty much took the werds out of my mouth. couldnt of said it better. just dont cut anything. hehe..

joedirt said:
well dls8k pretty much took the werds out of my mouth. couldnt of said it better. just dont cut anything. hehe..
deal. I have all the tools, my freind owns a shop. He's actually gonna do all the work. We just could not get it out today. I'll have him take out the line to the fan first then we'll go at it with a ratchet wrench from the back until we do it. Not gonna cut anything. When this is finally done I could finally enjoy my summer. I owe you guys big for that. If ever in NYC, hit me up and it'll be steaks and martini's on me. Seriously. I'll keep you guys posted tomm. :Beer

sounds good, my buddy knife(dexter) lives up there by u. i might actually be there in 12 days for vacay, i might just take u up on that!

DLS8k - good info - it's exactly what I did (twice now). I keep breaking the cheap little metal bracket that holds the high pressure line to the pump. Then the high pressure line finally let go at the fan pump connector due to the line weight swinging on it. I don't know if it breaks with minutes or months of the bracket breaking....... Apparently if due to engine torquing under high loads (what my LS under high loads? - I do protest)

The only other thing I would add:
- when trying to remount the pump with the line and screws in it - be careful not to cross-thread the pump bolts. The bolts are the 'easy starter' type and the mounting holes are in aluminum. The weight of the pump will tend to cause you to droop and start the bolts off cross-threaded. You'll see when you have the pump off that the bolts can actually go in with your fingers - so when you re-mount the pump resist the urge to grab a socket wrench and drive it. Don't get me wrong - you'll need to use a socket wrench but if it's really tight - backup and restart the bolt.

AC is pumping on high and don't have one complaint about NYC traffic. Thank you dls8 and Joedirt for all your help. The car is not overheating and the fan is full speed. I couldn't have figured out to get to that problem without you guys. In return, I'm a stockbroker for over ten years making good money for my clients. If you guys are into that, send me an email or private msg and I'll give you my phone number for some free advice for as long as you need it. Thanks again fellas :Beer :dancefool :Beer

APOLLO24 said:
AC is pumping on high and don't have one complaint about NYC traffic. Thank you dls8 and Joedirt for all your help. The car is not overheating and the fan is full speed. I couldn't have figured out to get to that problem without you guys. In return, I'm a stockbroker for over ten years making good money for my clients. If you guys are into that, send me an email or private msg and I'll give you my phone number for some free advice for as long as you need it. Thanks again fellas :Beer :dancefool :Beer
Good to hear everything is working for you........its a good feeling, isn't it? Glad we could all help you out, afterall, that is what we are here for.

Members online

Back