Need help Refilling transmission fluid at home

Lincoln LS

1. Right on the Mark

Right on the Mark Dedicated LVC Member

Car should be running, warmed up. Just over fill the trans by a qrt. then start car and pull center pull. It would be nice to see 1/2 qrt come out then stop then you know its full.Also it states everything I had to retype here in my fill trans post.

2. oddball

oddball Dedicated LVC Member

If you filled it when the engine isn't running, then it is VERY low!

Check the proper procedure in the service manual, or the online one. Procedure is the same regardless of year and engine, just the fill plug location is different.

3. samuelsteven

samuelsteven Active LVC Member

Yes! It was very low..I put a quart yesterday in it and it was still running funny. Today I jacked it back up and went and bought 2 more quarts just in case. This time, I filled it with the car on. It took 2 more quarts. It would trick me sometimes, because while I was pumping it in, it would start streaming out of the middle plug and I would think it was full. Id close the drain, and let the engine run, and then remove the drain, and it would still take another quart! Anyways, it seems to be running much better, but Ill know when I actually drive it tomorrow

4. oddball

oddball Dedicated LVC Member

Be careful with it. Driving it with the tranny that low for *any* amount of time can cause significant damage.