need help picking a "fun" car

hotrod_8

LVC Member
Reaction score
hey im moving to the country and its 20 miles of twisty back roads to get to any town, im looking for a car to tinker with and make that trip fun.

i thought about another mark 8 but i want something different.

im looking to keep it under $3500 for the car. this is what i have so far but feel free to add to the list.

3rd gen IROC camaro/ GTA trans am
lexus sc400
foxbody mustang
older bmw
80`s supra turbo

Another Mark... Living in the country...one could end up being used for parts in an emergency...ask Laser bout getting stuck out in the sticks with no spare stuff

+1 on the DSM cars. Great fun on twistie roads and so very easy to mod.

Remove the honeycomb in the MAF, gain 5 hp (really). Remove a small plastic tube from the boost valve and gain 10-15hp. Down pipe and mid pipe, 20hp. Boost controller, 20hp. You can get them to almost 300hp without spending hardly any cash.

All your other choices are not fun in the twisties. The SC400 will cost a crap ton when you need to buy parts and the car is quite lazy. The old IROCs and GTAs don't handle well at all and if you ain't Italian you cant drive an IROC. :p
A $3500 Fox wont be a fun car. Fox cars have gotten nuts in value and a $3500 version will be an AOD and prolly a vert AND have 200K on the chassis.

If you want something different and fun I may suggest a Subaru SVX.

svx_1.gif

subaru_svx.jpg

Always wanted one of them. Buddy had one and it was a beast. Such an unassuming little car. The old skool DSMs. :lol:

SVX??? Talk about a hard to find parts for car.
I think I`ve seen two on the road since they came out. lol.

stay in town and walk you have way too many choices ! it would drive me to drink
more then i usually do.

Ranger with a Mark Vlll drive train
Been watching Power Block huh? :lol:

After they blew their first 4v (I know, not from an 8) they were ready to drop in the Aluminator motor they got. Mang that little Ranger/B2200 is gonna scream with that!

Now thats a Ranger that would be fun. Blown DOHC 32v, 6-speed and an IRS. Sweet!

Really, DSMs, SVXs and mk.3 Supras? Those are only "fun" the 20% of the time that they run. The Starquests are "fun" maybe 30% of the time.

You can grab a decent Mark VII for the price of a "cheap" fox-body and make it plenty of fun for a little money.

what about a Porsche 928

If you find one for less than $3500 then it probably needs at least that in work to be decent.The SVXs are nice looking cars but when i was looking in to getting one i found out that they only come with automatics and they eat those pretty regularly.What about an 89-95 SHO?

If you find one for less than $3500 then it probably needs at least that in work to be decent.The SVXs are nice looking cars but when i was looking in to getting one i found out that they only come with automatics and they eat those pretty regularly.What about an 89-95 SHO?

The SHO's are kinda cool, but sorry I can't call any FWD "fun". Also the 1st gen ones were kind of a bitch to work on, then the cam issues with the 2nd gen v8's. Still would rock on as a DD. Used to know a couple guys in Denver with supercharged ones, they would move perty decent.

Always like the SVX, but only is you do a 5 speed conversion. If you don't mind FWD, go find a Shelby Omni GLH :lol:

Edit:
What about a T-Bird? Either a Super Coupe (just plan on doing headgaskets), or better yet a 89-93 5.0 T-Bird. They can be found cheap (1000-2000), then add tires, drop springs/shocks, exhaust, GT40 top end. Most 5.0 fox parts fit, so finding deals on used parts should be easy.

The SHO's are kinda cool, but sorry I can't call any FWD "fun". Also the 1st gen ones were kind of a bitch to work on, then the cam issues with the 2nd gen v8's. Still would rock on as a DD. Used to know a couple guys in Denver with supercharged ones, they would move perty decent.

Always like the SVX, but only is you do a 5 speed conversion. If you don't mind FWD, go find a Shelby Omni GLH :lol:

Edit:
What about a T-Bird? Either a Super Coupe (just plan on doing headgaskets), or better yet a 89-93 5.0 T-Bird. They can be found cheap (1000-2000), then add tires, drop springs/shocks, exhaust, GT40 top end. Most 5.0 fox parts fit, so finding deals on used parts should be easy.

I can kind of agree with you on the FWD thing but i honestly thought my 95 SHO was fun.I would never suggest to anyone the 96 and up SHO because of the cam situation but i heard one the other day and damn the exhaust sounded good!!

Well how about sc thunderbird 5spd keep it in the family they are fun and you can get one with that kind of money lol.

Members online

No members online now.
Back