Need Help on Caliper Upgrade.

98CobraStarLSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I just want to upgrade my Calipers to the Cobra setup.. I dont want to hubswap i just want the cobra calipers and pads for my mark viii. FRONT ONLY.

What do i need.?? Is there any special bracket or can i use my stock mark rotors?

Any help appreciated.

Cobra's are dual piston and marks are single fronts right? I would imagine cobra brakes stop better.

also i was looking at this setup for picture reference if it helps somebody explain.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/suspension-258/565946-fs-front-cobra-brakes.html

Thanks guys

unless you make custom caliper brackets i think your s.o.l.. I did the complete hub swap. It was very easy and i had a set of 17'' wheels ready for it. Mustang bolt patern.

all you need to do is buy all the cobra stuff, rotors, calipers, and have 17 inch wheels or bigger, then get the rotors drilled to the mark viii bolt pattern.

staff is right,if you're doing front only.
for the rear you would use redrilled cobra rotors and keep the rear mark viii calipers,but you need a special bracket for them

17" wheels are the minimum needed to clear the cobra stuff.

i'm going to use cobra rotors at all 4 corners,front calipers from a bullitt mustang (same as cobra),and use my rear mark calipers with the special bracket. i already have 18" saleen speedline replicas in the mark bolt pattern.

alright guys.. damn though i was hoping to keep my sleeper 16's for a while.... Thats a definate NO right?

Anybody who did this notice any better brake feel or performance.???

seems like a lot of money to hubswap and not many benifits besides a better choice in wheels.

Ive only had my mark at the track since the complete brake upgrade and it had been three years since i drove the car last. But from what i can remember it mad a significant differance. The car stopped on a dime at a 114 mph trap speeds.

I love my brake upgrade the car feels so much better now. I like the hubswap for the wheels its really only about 200 dollars and I got my cobra Rs for free.

you need da 20 inch reems. But seriously. You could do the cobra calipers and rotors and Just drill your rotors to stock mark bolt pattern. Or just buy the baer kit from scp

alright guys.. damn though i was hoping to keep my sleeper 16's for a while.... Thats a definate NO right?

Anybody who did this notice any better brake feel or performance.???

seems like a lot of money to hubswap and not many benifits besides a better choice in wheels.

16s won't clear,i would step up to 18s.
haven't done my swap yet to get a comparison,but this wouldn't be considered an upgrade if it didn't improve braking.

Big improvement on mine with the 20's :)
I used Porterfield R4S pads on the stock calipers originally, and on the Cobra stuff and they still made a large difference.
With the R4S pads on the stock set up it was adequate stopping with the 20's (like the all oem setup I had when I got the car.) The pads made a decent upgrade on oem setup with the stock wheels, and then going to the Cobra stuff and these pads was like doing the upgrade again!
I felt it was a very worthwhile upgrade, more so with the 20's. It's still a 4000lb car that your trying to stop, so every bit helps :D

i hub swapped mine with 18 inch rims if you want the cobra 13" rotors then you need at least 17's. I ran my stock lincoln brakes when i first swapped mine cause i didn't have the money for new brakes with everything else that i did. I just drilled out the mark rotors for the mustang pattern, but im not sure if there is enough room on the cobra rotor to drill a complete new pattern because the mark is smaller than the cobra you would just have to measure it out. on the back im running the 11.65 cobra rotors with the stock lincoln caliper and brakes. I had to make a bracket to mount the caliper and take a grinder to a few parts of the caliper to get it to clear, but i can help you with that if your interested.

lsc8, (not meaning to hijack the thread btw) do you have any specs on the brackets you made for the rear? the only premade ones i've found were over $100 for the pair. my fab guy could make these for little to nothing if he had some measurement or specs. or could you make another set relatively cheap?

pm please to keep this out of the thread

If you have 17's with the tire weights on the inside of the rim would that cause any issues

I use low profile 3m sticky weights on the inside so the wheels look nice and the hammer on lead weights don't ruin the clearcoat on the outer lip.

fast Ed over on TCCoA makes brackets and rings for the cobra stuff on the rear.
I never hub swapped mine, but had the Mustang rotors drilled to the Lincoln pattern, lots of room to do that.

had my machinist to redrill the cobra rotors for the mark pattern. the rear brackets finally made it here from canada. now i need to powdercoat the rotor hats (trying to decide chrome or red), test fit everything,do the necessary grinding, paint or powdercoat everything to match and assemble!

can hardly wait because my stock front rotors are seriously warped.

someone recommend good street pads for front and rear please!!!

I've been fond of the Porterfeild R4S pads so far on my car. I've used them on the stock setup and the Cobra stuff. I changed out brand new stock stuff for them and was impressed. Very little dusting and when they are warm the stop real good!

No there's cobra PBR calipers and GT PBR calipers. The GT ones are silver and do not have the cutouts for both pistons on the other side of the caliper. The GT ones also use phenolic pistons.

Thats good to know,I was lookin to buy some gt stoppers but now its the cobra calipers or nothin. Then Im going with the 14" upgrade kit from baer, that should get pearl to stop on a dime.

Porterfeild R4S pads , how do they work cold? my girlfriend mostly drives the mark and is fond of stopping at the last second (hence the warped rotors i have now)

They are decent when stone cold, still better than stock. Once they get some heat in them they really shine though...

Hmmm... Well I got a full kit for 13" all around and custom painted calipers... Supposedly pretty good. Someone on here got them done and I just had to have them! LOL! I really need to get all these parts installed on my car before the wisconsin meet!!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back