Need help 93 Mark VIII alarm going off while driving

M98

LVC Gold from Afghnistan
Reaction score
I have been having a problem with my alarm going off at random times. It actually went off last week when my mom is driving down the interstate. She had to pull over shut the car off to get it to stop. The ford dealership in my city back home will not do anything unless it goes off while they are around. And are going to charge to keep an eye on the car until it actually happens. Does anybody know how to unhook the alarm or have any ideas on what to do. Ford claims there is too many sensors to just change on a whim. I'm still in afghanistan looking for some advice on how to get this thing fixed. Car has to sit with battery unhooked so it does not happen any more and i'm not comfortable with that. Thanks for taking the time to read this and i look forward to any advice

Hey, I had this same problem happen with my 93. I can't remember the fix, but if you do a search I think you will find it somewhere on here. But anyway, you can I think unplug the security module and that will fix it. It won't effect anything else like keyless entry or anything like that. The moduel is behind the glove box, but I am not sure which it is.

My red car did that once, when I pulled over to stop it, the ignition key cylinder was almost falling out. I put it back in and it was fine. I took the cylinder back out when I got home and cleaned the contacts for the anti theft on it.

The Ford mechanic claims that there are too many sensors to change on a whim? What an idiot! Maybe he should read the service manual instead of chasing whims.

There is an easy self test procedure in the manual that helps locate the problem.:D

Its a yellow/tan module with 2 white plugs going into it and there should be a sticker that says "Anti Theft Controller Module" or something to that effect. It's located right behind the glove box, easy to see and get to. After looking at the electrical trouble shooting manual, you should be able to unplug both connectors on a 93 with no ill effects to other systems.

And thanks for being in Afghanistan so we can be safe here at home!

Here is a pic of the module, its from my 93 and with it removed, does not affect anything except the alarm is disabled. The remote still works the same along with the panic button.
The highway thing could be the alarm switch sensor under the hood. I disconnected it on mine but did not fix it, I just removed the module.

photo.jpg

my mark viii had the same problem i was sitting in a parking lot idling and it started going off, i traced it to my ignition, but have to change the steering column out still.....i just unplugged the module, with no other negative affects...unlike arnotts suggestions for diasabling the check air suspension warning

Members online

No members online now.
Back