need code advice

jerrym3

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
My LS "check engine" light came on. Brought it to a local mechanic. The codes were:

P2072 "Throttle actuator"?
PO171 "control system ice blockage"? "bank 1 and 2 lean"?
PO174

He cleaned up some of the system parts hoping it would eliminate the "lean running" condition. It didn't.

Test drive, light was out while the car was cold, but went on when the engine warmed up.

Any advice appreciated.

Well, unfortunately a lot of things can cause the lean codes. I would guess that air leaks or a dirty MAF would be among the more likely.

On the throttle code, the first thing to do is to try and determine if it was really stuck, or if it was EMI from a marginal COP. Force the throttle valve open by hand. Does it move smoothly, or are there any catch points?
Was the throttle body one of the parts that was cleaned?

Update

Went back to the mechanic. He checked for vacuum leaks and cleaned the MAF connections. Same story.

First drive, light is out. Second drive, light is out but then comes on once the car warms. Then, light stays on for all drives.

Otherwise, car is running perfect. No misses, starts up 1-2-3.

Bite the bullet and change the MAF?

Thanks

Update

Went back to the mechanic. He checked for vacuum leaks and cleaned the MAF connections. Same story.

First drive, light is out. Second drive, light is out but then comes on once the car warms. Then, light stays on for all drives.

Thanks

• 41jD5mB7NUL._AC_US160_.jpg

Delphi SS10387 Throttle Position Sensor
    by Delphi
    $10.11(1 used offer)
    Amazon open box deals has this maybe give this a try see what happens to the check engine light

Update

Thanks

Personally, I wouldn't chance cheap coils.

It's not going to be that on his gen II. It would be a different set of codes and problems.

I picked up a MotorCraft sensor at a discounted price. Installing it this afternoon. (My independent mechanic recommended going with MCraft).

Fingers crossed.

MAF installed, light out, did multiple drives.

Finger crossing does work!
Good to hear you solved the problem...with the new MAF sensor maybe you'll see some better MPG going down the road also...

Members online

Back