Need an opinion

FrankLS

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Im planning on changing my current sub setup in order to gain some trunk space. Im currently running two 12" Alpine Type R's of off an Interfire 1100. The box is huge and in case of an emergency, will be unable to access my spare tire or battery unless i remove it.

I was thinking about one of these subs, with this amp.

http://www.caraudiogiants.com/Items...hampion Series Pro Car Subwoofers With 3500 W

http://www.caraudiogiants.com/Items...ics HFi1500D HF Series D-Class Mono Amplifier

Will this be an ok set up? Im no genius but according to the amp, if i run 2 ohm of the amp it should send 1000w to the sub. Would this be rms or peak wattage? Thanks in advance.

I would keep the Type-R's. My friend had one and from what I remember, they bump. Get a custom box made, you can find one here.

Funny you mention that because I'm expecting their box any day now. I had orignally ordered the two 12 box but then I called back and I changed it to a single 12 but ported. They do not vent a two 12 box. I've had sealed enclosures and id rather have a single 12 ported. These guys are real good to work with and ported the box for only 15 more dlls. Ill post pics when it arrives

That box is great to keep easy access to the spare tire. I just bought one a month ago.

i would rather have 1 Type R than one of those pioneer "champions"

if you really want to gain space but not loose all of your quality, scoop up a single Type X.

if you really want to gain space but not loose all of your quality, scoop up a single Type X.

I have never had problems with pioneer...

Haha That last comment on the Avic literally made me laugh. The experience I have with the D3 is more annoyed than pleasure. It really is amazing how the Avic destroy sound quality.

Personally if I were to buy one 12" subwoofer for my LS it'd be the new W3s. You could run a smaller bandpass/ported box to save space and IMO the JL clarity is unmatched.

Yeah i was deff thinking about the type X. These type R's i own have been very good subs. Ive had them about 4 years now and they still hit hard as when brand new. So i do like Alpine.

The only problem is price. That type X would cost me twice of what the Pioneer would. Would that same hf amplifier do well for the type X?

If i do go for the type x, the 2 ohm right?

Haha That last comment on the Avic literally made me laugh. The experience I have with the D3 is more annoyed than pleasure.
and the D3 was know as the most reliable.

It really is amazing how the Avic destroy sound quality.
some more than others. but then again, an AVIC is the #1 choice for most because it cost half as much as an Alpine with imprint, so ya got to know what your giving up.

Personally if I were to buy one 12" subwoofer for my LS it'd be the new W3s. You could run a smaller bandpass/ported box to save space and IMO the JL clarity is unmatched.
if im only gonna run 1 sub, its got to at least be in the 1kw club. also im not a big fan of stamped sub frames, they are usually not as ridged as cast frames and dont dissipate heat as well.

Yeah i was deff thinking about the type X. These type R's i own have been very good subs. Ive had them about 4 years now and they still hit hard as when brand new. So i do like Alpine.

The only problem is price. That type X would cost me twice of what the Pioneer would. Would that same hf amplifier do well for the type X?

If i do go for the type x, the 2 ohm right?
well on paper, that amp looks like it could be fine with a Type X. i would get the dual 4's so the amp ran at 2 ohm, then it should be right at 1000 watts.

Look what the cat dragged in!!

About 1.8 sq ft ported. The quality is pretty good, expected less. Not sure about the tunning though. Now i just need to figure out what sub and amp i want to run in it.

CIM1G0112 (Large).jpg

CIM1G0113 (Large).jpg

I've been looking looking at that box for almost a year now. Can that hatch to the spare still fold up easily still with that box installed?

let me put my pants on and ill go put it in and check it out. Just got it this morning through fedex

Yes, you can access the spare tire with that box, I think that is the main reason for buying that box.

Yup you sure can. Dont pay attention to the messy wiring. I took out my last set up and just taped and left the wires sitting for my new install.

At first i thought this box was not going to fit. You have to work it in bit by bit nearing the end. Once in its great though. Cant wait to make up my mind on the amp and sub.

Not much room in the back for an amp so have to decide what to do for that.

1CIMG00011 (Large).jpg

1CIMG00012 (Large).jpg

1CIMG00014 (Large).jpg

1CIMG00015 (Large).jpg

1CIMG00017 (Large).jpg

1CIMG00031 (Large).jpg

1CIMG00106 (Large).jpg

let me put my pants on and ill go put it in and check it out.
dude, i know your excited about the box, but jeeze, i hope you bought it dinner first! rofl

also you can modify the tune a little by adjusting the port length, well you can make it shorter at least if you want/need to tune higher. but you would have to buy a new port that is longer if you want it tuned any lower.

also, i would paint the head of the screws for the port black.

dude, i know your excited about the box, but jeeze, i hope you bought it dinner first! rofl

also you can modify the tune a little by adjusting the port length, well you can make it shorter at least if you want/need to tune higher. but you would have to buy a new port that is longer if you want it tuned any lower.

also, i would paint the head of the screws for the port black.

ha.. yeah im pretty excited. hated my prior box even though it hit hard, no room at all.

The port that was provided is fairly long. Im sure if i needed I can hack some off.

The scews will deff have to get painted. very distracting. Now to figure out where to put the amp. Im not one to try and show off the goodies. i want it to look as stock as possible.

I've been looking looking at that box for almost a year now. Can that hatch to the spare still fold up easily still with that box installed?

Edited:
dude they had the box for 110 instead of their normal 135 a few days ago. So the box, shipping, and porting cost 160.

The porting cost 15 dlls over the 145 for the box and shipping. Thats if you wanted it ported.

12" DC level 4 Dual 2 ohm. http://www.dcsoundlab.com/woofers.html

AQ1200 amp. http://www.audioque.com/AQ1200D-Amplifier_p_30.html

Dunno how much you want to spend, but that'd be a pretty sweet 1 sub setup.

Yes, I am now a DC whore. They are awesome.

EDIT: Totally forgot about this though. They are on backorder for like a month.

I was tying to limit myslef to under 600dlls for the sub and amp. Im kind of leaning towards an Alpine Type X. Ive had good luck with the type R's I have.

Both those will get you under 600. 249 for the amp, and the sub definitely isn't 350. They had a price increase, but I paid 275 for mine before the increase. Dunno what they are now.

Both those will get you under 600. 249 for the amp, and the sub definitely isn't 350. They had a price increase, but I paid 275 for mine before the increase. Dunno what they are now.

I never owned or heard a DC before but ive heard theyre good subs. Im gna do some shopping around but I probably gonna end up buying the type X which is a bit less expensive than the DC you mention.

Members online

No members online now.
Back