Need advice on OEM tire replacement

D Hook

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Need to buy new tires as the Michellin's are weather checked badly on the side walls. Tread is still okay but not great.

Am looking at three different brands but want to stick with OEM size:

Pirelli--Cinturato P7 All Season Plus $106 ea.
Bridgestone--Potenza RE97AS $117 ea.
Goodyear--Eagle RS-A $154 ea.

I would certainly love to hear from others who may have recently purchased another brand. Not stuck on these. These are what came up as recommended by TR to replace the OEM's.

These are current Tire Rack prices which do not include shipping, mounting, etc. I can get them installed at a TR recommended installer for anywhere between $18/tire to about $45/tire.

Link to compare all three: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp

Living in the snow-belt, I have an Explorer as a DD but the Mark may see the ocassional trip in the wet and snow so need something that has good traction, too. I have Generals on the Explorer and I really am happy with them but not sure they'd be as good on the Mark, if General even sells something that would work on the Mark.

Anyone has any suggestions, please post them up. I doubt I'll buy from TR because I prefer to buy local so if there are problems I can deal with the seller directly.

I liked the Goodyear Eagle GT's I had on my 97. Very good traction wet or dry. $114 each at discount tire direct with free shipping.

I haven't heard anything good about the RS-A's. A lot of the Guys on the G8 forums had them, and most all of them said they were garbage...

Don't know about the others.

Why not put more meat on the back? 255's will fit the factory rim. And it looks so damn sexy. :cool:

Tried the Potenza's, they didn't last long. Now I'm running Fusion HRI's, best tire I ever bought!

i had RS-As. and then i didn't.
they are on my mom's car now but who cares, its just a commuter so nbd.

the goodyear assurance tires are alright. they are on my cousin's mustang. and i mean, they are round and such.

i run Kumho Ecsta 4X tires now. i'm pretty hard on them and they are holding up well.

I just got a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 for my 95. Liked them so much I put a set on my CE. I wanted a nice ride and not feel every bump in the road and these seem to do this. There costly but they gave me a $70. rebate. I ran TOYO'S PROXIES on the 95 for 10 years ( 1/2 season per year) and still in good shape but normal wear. I almost went with Faulkins but I always try to buy USA products. Pick what works for how you drive.

Michelin, Toyo, nor Falken are not particularly american products.
Michelin does produce tires in the US, but they also have factories in France, Spain, Germany, the UK, Canada, Brazil, Thailand, Japan, and Italy. at least.

mxv4's are marginal.. they are soft though, so if smooth is what you want, they can do that.

D Hook, what kind of driving do you want to do?
plays a role in what tires you get.
if you want a little more tread, a 245/50-16 is a good choice. i never had good luck find a 255/50-16 sized tire.

Last edited:
I liked the Goodyear Eagle GT's I had on my 97. Very good traction wet or dry. $114 each at discount tire direct with free shipping.

I haven't heard anything good about the RS-A's. A lot of the Guys on the G8 forums had them, and most all of them said they were garbage...

Don't know about the others.

I also like the Goodyear Eagle GT's. I just put a set in stock size on my car last week. This is the 4th or 5th time I've put Eagle GT's on Mark VIII's and they are a very good tire all around. Great in wet and dry and they also work OK in snow too. They usually last 40k miles with my aggressive driving. I got mine from Tire Rack (cheaper than discount tire when you include the rebate they had).

My last set of tires were the upsized 245-50-16 Cooper Zeon's. Although they looked great from the rear, I think they looked a little small in diameter from the side (they were smaller than stock), and they were just OK as tires. They wore faster and uneven compare to stock size Eagle GT's. They also got less traction at the track compared to a skinnier Eagle GT. I think they wore uneven because of the wider tire put on a smaller rim. I never had uneven wear on Eagle GT's. I always get the car aligned with new tires and/or new suspension parts.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Ken

ps - the new tread pattern on the Eagle GT's is pretty cool too :)

I also like the Goodyear Eagle GT's. I just put a set in stock size on my car last week. This is the 4th or 5th time I've put Eagle GT's on Mark VIII's and they are a very good tire all around. Great in wet and dry and they also work OK in snow too. They usually last 40k miles with my aggressive driving. I got mine from Tire Rack (cheaper than discount tire when you include the rebate they had).

I agree. The tread pattern is what initially drew me to them. Then I looked up the specs and reviews for them. Very favorable.

When I bought mine, dicsounttiredirect.com had the cheaper overall price than Tirerack, and they had a website-specific rebate for whatever holiday was going on at the time.

My last set of tires were the upsized 245-50-16 Cooper Zeon's. Although they looked great from the rear, I think they looked a little small in diameter from the side (they were smaller than stock), and they were just OK as tires. They wore faster and uneven compare to stock size Eagle GT's. They also got less traction at the track compared to a skinnier Eagle GT. I think they wore uneven because of the wider tire put on a smaller rim. I never had uneven wear on Eagle GT's. I always get the car aligned with new tires and/or new suspension parts.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Ken

Car never goes to the track. Just interstate and around town, mostly interstate. Want something smooth and quiet but good tread wear and good in snow. I don't usually drive it in the snow unless my Explorer goes down for some reason.

I'm liking the idea of the Eagle GT's. Had some of those on my Porsche and the side walls got weather checked long before tread started to wear. But they were on there for almost 15 years.

Had some Cooper Zeons on my Mustang and liked them, too. But they wore pretty quickly, though I drove the mustang very gently, mostly in town.

D Hook, what kind of driving do you want to do?
plays a role in what tires you get.
if you want a little more tread, a 245/50-16 is a good choice. i never had good luck find a 255/50-16 sized tire.

Just mostly interstate. Like a quiet, soft ride.

Members online

No members online now.
Back