Need a little help 98 mark VIII cooling fan

azjim

LVC Member
Reaction score
98 mark VIII 80,000 over heating my problem son has it 100 miles away fan is not coming on obvious fan motor died I know it has a relay don't know where it is or how to check it? Any other things it might be your thoughts would be appreciated thanks for your time and imput. Azjim

Doesn't always have to be the fan motor. Could be the VCRM. Does the A/C run? If the A/C runs, check if the fan turns on when the A/C is running. It could have one of the speeds ruined. Happened to my '93. Gotta test it to make sure

The first and easiest thing to check is to switch on the A/C. Then see if the fan is on. If not, wiggle the plug on the fan. It is a very common problem that the connection comes loose from all the current the fan draws. Hope this helps.

I've heard if you disconnect the coolant temperature sensor the fan will run all the time even if the vcrm is bad

I've heard if you disconnect the coolant temperature sensor the fan will run all the time even if the vcrm is bad

Yes, I did this to check my fan operation. If you pull the coolant sensor harness, the fan will run 100% all the time as long as the vehicle is turned on. That's an easy way to see if the fan will run at all or if there's something wrong with it.

by the way going down to check it out today hope it is simple. thanks for the info people

Cooling fan

hi everyone well if I unplug temp sensor the fan comes on so what does this mean? And will it hurt to drive 100+ miles with the fan on? Should i leave it off while driving? Temp outside will be in the low 90s

hi everyone well if I unplug temp sensor the fan comes on so what does this mean? And will it hurt to drive 100+ miles with the fan on? Should i leave it off while driving? Temp outside will be in the low 90s
Leave the fan ON......thank you very much.....Bruce

I think this should be pretty obvious. Try driving around in those temps outside without the fan working and watch what your temperature gauge does.

(You won't get far)

It's your choice between your car being slightly inefficient or a large aluminium block where your engine used to be.

So what part is bad Iam unclear is it the temp sensor thats bad?

I would start there. It's good to change the temp sensor anyways. I don't know if it's the vcrm or not but a new temp sensor will make sure the fan comes on at the right temperature

Members online

No members online now.
Back