Mysterious disappearence of.... oil?

CrackerJack

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Yeah, so the last oil change I did back in mid summer I only took out about 4.5 quarts of oil.... wtf? And this last weekend I took her out for a spin because I dont want the thing to sit and just mysteriously die which is not out of the realm of possibilities. I bring her back in the garage and see smoke coming out of the hood like WTF? About a month ago I took her out the first time from storage and got it up to 129... hehe. And I checked the dipstick this weekend and there seems to be no oil. Not much oil where she sat either so Im basically WTF WTF WTF for 30 minutes inspecting under the car! NOTHING. Where the hell is all my damned oil?

Grabbing a MOTORCRAFT filter and oil this week, last change was with MC Oil and a NAPA Gold filter. Which my uncle told me was a WIX and Wix = good. Meh, it has 1.5 quarts of NAPA 10-30 and a quart of Napa 10-40 because thats what was in the garage on christmas... enough til this weekend.

Any ideas? Uncle thinks maybe a cracked drainpan or the filter / plug is loose.

If that's the case, either one would be easy to spot by having a peek under the car.

if it's sitting for a while - you should change the fluids and then take it easy on it for the first bit (work the oil back into areas it has drained from, let seals become plyable again, ...etc) - not good to come from sitting, old fluids and then high rpms and load.

where was the smoke coming from?

How much oil did you put in at the time of the oil and filter change?

So you had smoke coming from your engine compartment after you did the oil change? You may have just spilled a little or something.

As far as where your oil may be going you might simply be burning oil.

Smoke came from the lower back of the motor. The car is due for an oil change now, I parked it without changing it figuring I was going to go full synthetic in the spring. I put in 6 quarts of MC 5w20 Blend.

I probably has no oil in it again by now, me and my uncle are going to jack it up and see whats going on, I didnt see and oil or anything on the bottom of the drainpan, which was all I could see without jacking it up. Sigh... I hope I get this job and my Impala....

Smoke came from the lower back of the motor. The car is due for an oil change now, I parked it without changing it figuring I was going to go full synthetic in the spring. I put in 6 quarts of MC 5w20 Blend.

With filter it takes 6.5 to 7 quarts. That explains 1 qt low.

Job? I thought you wanted a career in the Army :D

My mom bribed me with paying for all my college / tools to be a mechanic so I didnt go get my head blown off.... Yeah can't really pass that up. Waiting on a full time job till I can start my program in the fall. Ford Asset Program!!!!

Ford Mechanic with a Chevy Impala... Technically a ranger too but its worse on mileage than the LS is... My friends Caprice with the 5.7 Police Package gets 28 Highway!

Those SS Impalas are fun cars to drive. Good power, topped off with great handling, but i gotta say though not as comfortable and/or luxurious as the LSs are.

The only downside about the car is, if the roads you are on are not perfect, the car starts pulling left and right cause of them wide ass tires in all four corners.

Are you going to be keeping the LS?

FYI, When I was driving behind you when we met up this summer I thought you were burning some oil. Could be seen when you start out.

Members online

Back