My Transmission needs work

ahargrove

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 LS V8 that just turned over 98,000 miles. The transmission started the shifting issues a few of months ago but was inconsistent so the transmission shop I had check said it was fine. The shift issue got more consistent, started shuttering before down shifting and even had a rough idle to it when in drive but stopped. My local transmission shop said the servo bores are bad and it needs to be sleeved to the tune of $1300 but recommends a full rebuild for $2000. I believe these prices are probably in line and I wouldn't mind putting the money into the vehicle if I hadn't just bought it earlier this year and still owe more than I care to say for it. So....I'm considering trying to trade it in on something else. It seems to shift a lot better when it's still cold so I'm hoping to slide it by.
My question is are there any additives that can purchased from my local autoparts store help mask the issue?
I love the car and it this had been a year or two down the road, I think I would have the work done without a blink of an eye. It's just hard to justify getting any further in the hole on this car. Especially when I see the difference between retail vs trade in values. Ugh.

... so I'm hoping to slide it by.
My question is are there any additives that can purchased from my local autoparts store help mask the issue? ....

I wonder if this is what the previous owner did to you?
Anyway, I have no interest in trying to help you cheat someone. I wouldn't want this done to me, you, and anyone that I know.

I agree and that's why I would trade it in at a dealership and not sale it out right. I bought it off a lot so you're probably right, either previous owner did what I'm looking to do or the dealership did. Either way, I recognize it's not the right thing to do but dealerships sure have made a ton of money off me so I don't mind it so much.

well considering OP said he had rough idle to go with it, he probably has bad coils. OP theres probably not a dam thing wrong with that tranny despite what the shop <who has probably never worked on one> is telling you. if it was a dealer opinion i would be much more ready to have faith in the opinion. what are the condition of your ignition coils aka cops? if they are the originals you are overdue for new ones and i believe there was even a tsb for free replacement on the ones from 05v8s

joedrt should know better. rough idle = tranny issue? come on.

I agree and that's why I would trade it in at a dealership and not sale it out right. I bought it off a lot so you're probably right, either previous owner did what I'm looking to do or the dealership did. Either way, I recognize it's not the right thing to do but dealerships sure have made a ton of money off me so I don't mind it so much.

So you don't mind cheating a dealership? The reason dealerships cost more is the training the techs receive and the warranty they provide on their repairs. Around here, the hourly rate at independents isn't that much less than the dealer, without the warranty.

What ever happened to ethics??? No wonder this country is in such sorry shape!

He wouldn't be cheating a dealership. He'd be cheating whoever bought the car from the dealership that he sold it to.

jrand, the rough idle only occurs when the car is in drive. When I put it in neutral, the rough idle disappears. Plus I've had the issue with the occasion hard jerk when putting it in reverse along with the shifting issues. All the traditional signs of a transmission issue are there. However you're right, I don't know the condition of the coils.

Ugh... Just disconnect your battery and complete a drive cycle (WINNING). /end sarcasm.

your coils are most likely shot. you need to find the tsb on the 2005 v8 that guarantees customer satisfaction and get lincoln to replace all 8 of your coils on the house. they are moderately expensive, and i believe the satisfaction period ends at 100k miles, so i would get on that stat...

you most likely have a coil issue which needs to be addressed before a tranny issue.

and no the problem with the country is idiotas like yall who know this guy -probably- has bad coils but instead are jumping on the joedrt bandwagon and saying he is such a bad guy for trying to make a buck

Thank you jrand, I will check the coils out.

you should probably clean the maf and throttle body.. and make sure youre running the correct fuel while youre at it. injector cleaner wont hurt either.

Not sure if it will make a big difference at this point but check the transmission fluid condition. Some owners overlook or stretch that out.

I can wholeheartedly believe this is a transmission issue and wouldn't waste the money on coils....yet. Been there done that with mine. I found a guy straight out of transmission school who rebuilt it for $700.00, but it still is a little rough in the reverse shift and the 1st to 2nd shift. Guess you get what ya pay for. Coils are a pain on these cars but are definitely doable, and it seems like some of the issue is there as well. IF you do decide to go that far do the valve cover gaskets, as well as the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets. Like stated above, clean out the MAF and TB, just be careful if you decide to replace the MAF. Around me I could only find rebuilt MAF's and got a bad one the a broken housing on another. I got 15k in receipts for this car but its now a brand new 2001 Lincoln "S", cause my L emblem just fell off...lol. Once you get her going you'll be happy with Lincoln again.

Not sure if it will make a big difference at this point but check the transmission fluid condition. Some owners overlook or stretch that out.

Well, the fluid could be bad, but you can't blame a previous owner for "overlooking" or "stretching" out the change interval. The factory calls for it to be changed at 150K miles, so he is still over 50K miles from needing* to change it.

*: I change it about twice as often.

Well, the fluid could be bad, but you can't blame a previous owner for "overlooking" or "stretching" out the change interval. The factory calls for it to be changed at 150K miles, so he is still over 50K miles from needing* to change it.

*: I change it about twice as often.

LOL I know as I do that as well (at 100K km and again at 200K km) as I prefer it have "fresh" fluid. On my Volvo (S60R) the auto transmission fluid is "lifetime" which seems ridiculous, and many owners have issues when they follow this guideline. They even removed the transmission dipstick on 2006-07 R models so there is no way to check the oil condition and the process to change it is more involved than previous models with the dipstick.

LOL I know as I do that as well (at 100K km and again at 200K km) as I prefer it have "fresh" fluid. On my Volvo (S60R) the auto transmission fluid is "lifetime" which seems ridiculous, and many owners have issues when they follow this guideline. They even removed the transmission dipstick on 2006-07 R models so there is no way to check the oil condition and the process to change it is more involved than previous models with the dipstick.

That's not why there's no dipstick.......

Well, I actually had the transmission rebuilt. They replaced the bad coil as well. Drives great! I drove it for the first time in a few days and noticed it has a little bit of a rough idle. Very slight but I notice it so I'm going to look into checking with the dealer to see what they say. If not covered, I'll change them myself. The transmission shop did say everything was dry so doesn't look like the seal is leaking at this point.

OP's symptoms were not consistent with a servo issue. If the OD servo goes bad you lose 2nd and 5th gears and get a trans error. Servo bore issues/broken servo issues are completely different than solenoid issues - those cause the slam shifts and inconsistent shifts.

I may have just got really lucky, but my trans was intermittently shifting harsh from 2nd to 3rd gear. I had the dealer flush and fill, and put in new filter. The problem has been absent ever since.

I can't justify your car having a poor idle due to transmission issues, the two are completely different. The transmission has no influence on the spark timing, fuel supply, or air flow to your engine.

I will however say that you could have a misfire due to bad or marginal coils. And you believe that it only "idles rough" once it's in drive due to the fact that the engine puts your drivetrain under load while in Drive, allowing you to actualy feel the misfire and amplifying it's presence.

If you really love the car, invest $1000 and buy yourself new Motorcraft coils and plugs, and get yourself a transmission solenoid pack assembly. If your problem persists, then go from there or bail on the car. This is the best advice I can give you from the common faults/experiences of the LS.

Just keep in mind that when you love your car, it loves you back. Give half ass care, get half ass enjoyment. I hug my LS all the time, she's a bad bitch. And she drives like a champ and always makes me smile. Smack that ass.

...I can't justify your car having a poor idle due to transmission issues, the two are completely different. The transmission has no influence on the spark timing, fuel supply, or air flow to your engine....

Torque converter (arguably a part of the transmission) problems can cause idle problems. It's a mechanical load on the engine.

Members online

No members online now.
Back