My car turns off when the electric fan turn on?

305leoLS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok guys I have a 2001 LS V6 automatic I just replaced the alternator and decided to take out the hydraulic cooling system because it was leaking everywhere fan,pump,hoses. And since I had the pulley from a Jaguar S type V6 I used it where the pump was located. So the problem is my car shuts off if the fan goes on any ideas guys?

Ok guys I have a 2001 LS V6 automatic I just replaced the alternator and decided to take out the hydraulic cooling system because it was leaking everywhere fan,pump,hoses. And since I had the pulley from a Jaguar S type V6 I used it where the pump was located. So the problem is my car shuts off if the fan goes on any ideas guys?

Yea. You wired the fan wrong.

Yea. You wired the fan wrong.

I wired it to the ignition at first with the cooling fan kit with the relay and adjuster and today I try it with the battery and a fuse and still turn off the engine

Fans are pretty easy to wire, I have done them in a couple of my own vehicles and two for other people. Although they tend to be easy to install, I have seen some installs messed up pretty bad.

Sometimes it is due to the fact that some kits are more involved to install and some instructions are less than clear, so what controller kit did you get exactly (brand/model)?

Is it possible that the car is getting too hot before the fan comes on and is being shut down?
Does it feel overly hot?
Does it feel hot enough for the fan to even bother coming on?
Where is the temp gauge when the fan kicks on and does anything come up on the status display?
Does it start right back up?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414803656.507256.jpg This is the kit that I bought and once the fan turn on the engine goes off

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414803656.507256.jpg

And I bought a 16" fan from the same brand name has the kit

That Jag fan takes a lot of current, too much to wire it to the underhood fuse box.

My old 240sx I wired in electrical fans. I did not have them auto kick on, I used a switch. But wired them straight to the battery. Had the switch going to a relay that would either allow the circuit on or off. It was a dirty and unclean job but it worked, and worked well. It was also a 240sx, not what I would call luxury.

well i can't see how you wired it, so i really can't tell you what you did wrong... But.

it sounds to me like the fan is turning on and pulling too much power causing something to (for lack of a better word) starve for power and it shuts off

also, didn't see anything from a quick google search looking for a diagram for that fan controller.
that being said, how many wires do you have hooked up? which ones? where exactly are they hooked up at? whats the model number for the fan(current requirements)?

I'm thinking my mistake was hooking the power straight to the battery and the switch to the ignition key. I haven't seen no one done it like I did

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416065849.957066.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416065872.436670.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416065948.176241.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416065966.741661.jpg
I finally fixed the Lincoln got myself a better fan and a better relay kit to make the fan work.. This time I power the fan thru the starter power cable and the switch thru the hydraulic pump switch cable and is working fine...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416065849.957066.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416065872.436670.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416065948.176241.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416065966.741661.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back