My 93 Mark Viii vs 08 c300 sport

cdymyd

LVC Member
Reaction score
I was on the highway with my friend last night nd he was driving his c300. We did about 4 or 5 pulls once the highway cleared up and I took him everytime, except for one time around a turn. We did a pull from 30mph nd by the time i got to 110mph he was at least 15 car lengths back..I thought the c300 is supposed to be quick?

From what I've seen, there is no reason why you shouldn't have taken it. :D This is a quote off cnet reviews:

"Its 3-liter V-6, producing 228 horsepower, isn't a rocket, but it gets the C300 moving quickly and without complaint. When really pressed, it makes a nice growl. Mercedes-Benz claims the C300 Sport gets to 60 mph in 7.2 seconds, a reasonable number given the engine size."

http://reviews.cnet.com/sedan/2008-mercedes-benz-c300/4505-10865_7-32630925.html

No, C300s are not really that quick. It is MB's entry level vehicle - the cheapest Benz you can buy, designed for people who want to be able to say they drive a Benz but don't really care whether it is better than any other vehicle and are unwilling or unable to pay the premium for a real Benz.

Now, the C63 on the other hand..... :)

Actually, a C300 will give a Mark VIII all it can handle from a dig. It has an aggressive 7 speed auto and does the 1/4 mile in 15.0 at 91mph.

yeah, but turn on the reality check....you are talking about a 16 yr old premium offering against a brand new entry offering.....the fact that the lincoln can hang with it is a big statment....especially when you consider the comfort difference between the two.

maybe its my lack of understanding, my wife always want a "new" car (almost) regardless of what it is; for me I prefer to stick with my loaded, comfortable and fast older cars....for me the benz's have always been s-class, the bmw's 6's or 7's, and all of them could be modded to hang with the best of the "new" crowd.

Now the mark is like my cadillac's....comfy, but plain old dirty american fun.

and sometimes it just the little things.....did he check the box for the leather interior, buecause whoever bought the mark 16 years ago it was standard equip.

mark VIII FTW!!!! and BTW it doesn't register that its an entry level benz.....they just see an older lincoln whooping on an new Benz....

My friend actually has one with exhaust, we raced and it was even for a split second and then I pulled away hard. Of course my Mark VIII isn't stock.

the other thing is keep in mind the mark is much more of a "highway cruiser" then the benz...as far as 0-60 runs I could see the benz pulling the mark, but for the 50+ mph pulls I could see the mark opening the gap car lengths at a time.

And again, at least for me if I am going to be stuck in a car for an hour plus at a time, which is the more comfortable environment.....As far as people only seeing the "old lincoln" that just shows the power of marketing and the stupidity of people.

Sideline story...quite some time ago when I was a dumb kid I was screwing around with my gf in the car (87 bmw m6) about 11 at night, when a black mark 7 se smoked windows and all pulled up along side me at a signal using the bike lane...light turns green and we both take off hard, he handed it to me before we got through the intersection, and continued to pull away till about 85 when we backed off. we both pulled into a gas station and this older man (well into his 70's), says "with age comes wisdom, car cost 5 grand, and another 5 in mods"....i had at least that much left in payments.

lol i saw a cl65 amg at best buy the other day i really wanted to try racing it did not know it had that much power "good thing i did'nt lol) . the the person opened the door and the kid looked younger then me did not even look 16!

we both pulled into a gas station and this older man (well into his 70's), says "with age comes wisdom, car cost 5 grand, and another 5 in mods"....i had at least that much left in payments.

Reminds me of the time my buddy in his late 60's consistently beat me from light to light in his 1 liter Nissan Micra. (vs my 90' BMW 735 auto) He said something similar. Lol.

Reminds me of back in 1964/65 when I was in high school. '55-'57 chevs were affordable and becoming popular with the kids. I wanted to be different so I put together a'56 Ford with a 430 LINCOLN engine. The Chevy guys never knew what hit them. When asked what I had in it, my reply was: "It's just an old junk ford that nobody wanted."

when I got my license my grandfather was impressed with my school performance (4.0 GPA, track and basketball star etc)...he gave me his modded 79 seville (warmed over 454 w/gears)....it was a hot car, but one day I got it handed to me by a maverick....with a 460; I held him till about 30, then he realized what was going on....he went sideways and smoke started pouring off of both rears...it was freaking gnarlly.

I was way to overprivlidged when I was younger.......good times

Jeremy is wrong. The 65 AMG is actually a 6 Liter... well, 5.98x liters. Not 6.5 Liters.

And the Comand 2.0 works rather well... if you take the time to train it for your voice.

The ESP works really well too. Yes, it de-rates the motor and applies rear brakes, but it doesn't do it like on the Gen II Marks, where it practically bogs the motor down.

lol i saw a cl65 amg at best buy the other day i really wanted to try racing it did not know it had that much power "good thing i did'nt lol) .

That CL would have been pushing 50mph by the time it crossed the intersection. To say you would have been raped, is an understatement.

In the Mark it retards the timing to the point where the motor will barely even run... but I would hope a brand new Benz would have a better TC setup than a 98 Mark...

To say you would have been raped, is an understatement.

LMAO u are right still would have been fun to have tryed i would rather race a real car and lose then some :q:q:q in a civic. then again it is funny seeing them speed of all mad once your done pounding them lol!

Sadly, it wouldn't even have been a competition. The CL driver wouldn't even have had to go past the accelerator "stop" which is 3/4 of the way down the accelerator pedal's travel.

You go past the stop, you're telling the car to give you all it has... and that's bad, at low speeds.

you have to drive one to get it one of my clients bought an s65.....yeah, off the line they have a traction issue (and the tc system does an excellent job of putting down what can be put down, but you ARE trying to break the laws of physics)...the real fun is in the rolling start...at about 35 plant it past the accelorator stop and the thing will chirp itself back into first...before you can start swearing you will be crossing the 70 mark....

the other fun thing (because I have psychotic firends and clients) is hitting the governer....plant it at 100, and will still be holding you comfortably in your seat when the power all of the sudden stops and you are eating the dash from the momentum drop off (minor exageration, but the first time I felt it I looked at Micheal (the drive) and said "whats wrong, why'd you back off so suddenly").

That would be my dream sedan.....big, comfy for four, and although not a 1/4 mile queen, in the real world there is not much that cann pass it

Renntech, Kleeman, lots of places. Renntech removes the 155mph limiter but adds on at 180? 186?

They do it for "liability issues". I say they are just wet vaginas and are not true gear heads.

And as far as hitting the governor, you don't even notice it from the way it's so smooth engaging and disengaging...?

Why the :q:q:q:q would you just raise the limiter??

The only limiter my Mark has is either power, the rev limiter, or the driver....

Members online

No members online now.
Back