My 89 mk7 project, round two...

HOT ROD LCN

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had to replace a windshield on one of these? Ive seen some wackier questions here, But I definitely need to do it. Mine was hit by a fallen branch that totally spiderwebbed the rt side. Thankfully, the hood and roof came away untouched.
Is there any ordering concerns, ive called a local shop and I believe they'll install it for around $200. Has anyone dealt with any problems?
Thanks to everyones help so far, this forum is an absolutely great thing !!!

HOT ROD LCN said:
Has anyone had to replace a windshield on one of these? Ive seen some wackier questions here, But I definitely need to do it. Mine was hit by a fallen branch that totally spiderwebbed the rt side. Thankfully, the hood and roof came away untouched.
Is there any ordering concerns, ive called a local shop and I believe they'll install it for around $200. Has anyone dealt with any problems?
If that price includes parts then take it.

I paid >$300.00 just for my rear window to be replaced.

Shops usually don't charge much for installation. If you are going to buy a new windshield, just let the shop do it. I talked to a glass shop a few weeks ago and the installation was $40. That's worth it to me to save on the trouble of removing the trim, removing the old windshield (that will probably break on you when you remove it) properly installing the new windshield without leaks, and replacing the trim. $40 is a lot cheaper than $180 to buy another windshield if I break the first one!

If you are getting a windshield from another car though, such as in a junkyard, you can do it yourself. There are tons of articles online that will walk you through it step by step. Google is your friend.

Thanks guys for the speedy reply. Nice gallery there OldSchool, As a resident of NJ I must say, those are some of the CLEANEST lincolns in the northeast!!! Ive noticed you have 3 MK7s, and ill always take your advice seriously. Thanks again to all!!!:Beer

Oh,Talkin about clean, you could eat swedish meatballs off of ONE WAYs engine compartment. Holy smokes!!! Getting him to let ya do it is another matter- thanks again fellas!

HOT ROD LCN said:
Oh,Talkin about clean, you could eat swedish meatballs off of ONE WAYs engine compartment. Holy smokes!!! Getting him to let ya do it is another matter- thanks again fellas!

You're welcome, and thanks! :cool:

HOT ROD LCN said:

Not sure but I'd assume the prices would be close or the same nation wide, but I had to have mine in my '01 Dodge Ram replaced after driving through Baltimore in early November. I was in the center lane on I-95 heading north when, out of the corner of my eye, I saw something cartwheeling towards me. By the time I turned and focused on it.................WHAM! Anyway, I was on a trip to my company's home office in New Castle, DE and one of the guys there directed me to a Safelite shop at 4722 Kirkwood Hwy in Wilmington. Tax and everything, out the door, it cost me $195.46. I personally don't feel like it was a bad deal for brand new nationwide warrantied glass INSTALLED.

DSCF0072.JPG

BTW, I took pics for my insurance company but they only cover chips and stuff like that, NOT complete replacements. Replacements fall under the deductible so it came out of my pocket.

Wow. I'm up late getting stuff ready for my CPA (which is why I had this receipt handy) and realized that Delaware doesn't have sales tax.

windshield................$135.46

labor.......................$60.00

So.......even with most states sale tax it still should be close

HOT ROD LCN said:

Swedish meatballs mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

HOT ROD LCN said:
Thanks guys for the speedy reply. Nice gallery there OldSchool, As a resident of NJ I must say, those are some of the CLEANEST lincolns in the northeast!!! Ive noticed you have 3 MK7s, and ill always take your advice seriously. Thanks again to all!!!:Beer
Thanks for the compliments but I cheated: Two cars spent most of their lives garaged before I bought them and another was restored by a Lincoln dealership.

One-Way has a cleaner engine bay than I do. I just have more cars and less common sense than he does. The three OldSchool cars that I have/had are Mark IV's. They're 20 feet long and weigh more than 4000 pounds.

Lastly, I feel like I'm the only person on the planet that's paid over $250.00 for any kind of windshield/window work on their Mark VII. Granted it had a carriage top and that added to the labor end. I still cannot believe the incredibly low prices you guys are getting.

Old School, you could probably make extra dough renting the MKIVs out for period specific movies. Theyre just awesome looking! Those were the days my man.

...just stay away from any production starring JOE PESCI. He might not be able to reach the brake pedal and see out the window at the same time!!! Only kidding Joe, :shifty:

I paid like 225 for a PPG Windshield, with tint, installed, and a LIFETIME WARRANTY against defects, etc, AND STRESS CRACKS!!!

Hell of a deal.

Members online

Back