Mustang 4.6 Ignition Coils

Pek's put his finger squarely on the head of this discussion.

I went to Accel coils for two reasons. First, I'd had failures, so I needed replacements. Among other reasons for going that way, the Accel coils cost less than factory replacements. And I believe that the ebay-sourced items are either cleaned-up used stuff or made in some remote village in China. They MAY be OK but why chance it. Some have done just fine, but others have been dissatisfied.
Second, since I'm using 'spray'-with-methanol, a little extra energy in the ignition department is not amiss.

More ignition energy than you need will not do any harm, but it makes no improvement either.
KS

"More ignition energy than you need will not do any harm, but it makes no improvement either."

Now both the V8 and V6 use 91+ fuel, with that being said it burns slower then 87 or 89 octane. So the hotter spark in the coil to the plug will give a better burn for the 91+ octane. In some cases you will notice better mileage or a slight increase in torque. Mustang and Fast Ford did a change in coils on '10 Mustang with the 4.6, they used the Granatelli Sreet Performance Coils. The results were an increase of about 20hp and 23 torque, just by changing the coils no other items was upgraded. They ran the Mustang on the dyno right before and after change. Just what to share some insight. I have never liked Accel products, have always had problems with reliablity back in the 80's. So I look at other ignition products for upgrades MSD and Jacobs have been very good for my uses.

Just my 2 cents.

Actually, 'faster burn' could be related to a tendency to knock. Let me re-state my comment. IF YOU HAVE ALL THE SPARK YOU NEED, more won't do anything for you. Without knowing more about it, I find myself puzzled by a 20 HP increase on an otherwise stock engine. Exactly what were the conditions in the referenced test?
KS

the accel coils for the 4.6l 2v mustang. part# 140032-8 from accel. I believe that's the same number for both gens.

I will try and find the article and post more info.

OK, I made a few mistakes about what I read 6 months ago. The magazine is Modified Mustangs and Ford, June '09 issue, it was an '08 Mustang GT/CS with only 1,180 miles and they used the Pro Series Extreme coils, rated at 65,000 volts. It seems that the stock coils for the 4.6 are rated at about 20,000 volts. Granatelli Motor Sports (GMS) offers them in OEM Series, MPG Plus (15 percent better highway milage), Hot Street (40,000 volt) and the Pro Series Extreme. They used a Mustang Dyno, the only mod to the motor was a cold air intake, base line numbers where run with the cold air intake already installed. Peak hp 265, torque 298. After the install peak hp 292, torque 331. They decide to run the motor hot to give a more real world effect and then ran peak hp 292, torque 322. GMS stated that they should have only gotten about 8 to 10 hp increase. Final figures came in at hp 27, torque 24. I say that is not bad for N/A engine with only a cold air intake and coils.

OK, I made a few mistakes about what I read 6 months ago. The magazine is Modified Mustangs and Ford, June '09 issue, it was an '08 Mustang GT/CS with only 1,180 miles and they used the Pro Series Extreme coils, rated at 65,000 volts. It seems that the stock coils for the 4.6 are rated at about 20,000 volts. Granatelli Motor Sports (GMS) offers them in OEM Series, MPG Plus (15 percent better highway milage), Hot Street (40,000 volt) and the Pro Series Extreme. They used a Mustang Dyno, the only mod to the motor was a cold air intake, base line numbers where run with the cold air intake already installed. Peak hp 265, torque 298. After the install peak hp 292, torque 331. They decide to run the motor hot to give a more real world effect and then ran peak hp 292, torque 322. GMS stated that they should have only gotten about 8 to 10 hp increase. Final figures came in at hp 27, torque 24. I say that is not bad for N/A engine with only a cold air intake and coils.

I really cant believe that and to the other poster, yes the coils will work on your Gen2

This was all done at Granatelli Motor Sport's garage in Oxnard, Ca. The owner of ths shop was surprised as well, he figures about 8-10 hp gain tops.

This was all done at Granatelli Motor Sport's garage in Oxnard, Ca. The owner of ths shop was surprised as well, he figures about 8-10 hp gain tops.

Yea I read the article but still.. :rolleyes: They tested at their own shop, Im sure its inflated or something. I just simply cant comprehend a 25rwhp/tq gain from ignition coils.

So any 99-04 4.6 mustang coils upgrade should work, right? common sense? If those run crank spark all the time, I dont care how long they last! crank spark + tune WILL now make a difference in performance.

I didn't notice any difference in performance. I just installed a set of accels.

Pek didnt u tune it? If those coils r what they say u should be able to burn more mixture. Tho gain power.

I never tuned after the coils. I don't know about the limits of a stock fuel pump and injector size to add more fuel.

The Accel coils are only OEM replacements at best, They are not a true Hi-Performance coil, hence the price.

I did not expect them to be a performance type coil. I just needed a couple replacements.

I just had a coil go bad on my number 2 cly. Now I have to remove the intake. OH JOY! Will the 99-04 4.6 mustang coils work on a v6? Accels or not? I don't want to pay 50 bucks for a new coil.

I went to a performance shop locally and had them try and see if one would match a V6 coil and no luck. I had taken in one that I purchased as a sample. The mount was different and the connection for the plug stuck up at more of an angle. If you want to try and see what is available in your area?

whats the difference between the 2v part# 140032 and the 4v part# 140034?

also i was trying to find the overall under hood pic of the coils. the on that shows the entire motor compartment. i searched accel coils in the ls section and get like 11 pages of topics.

Members online

Back