Mustang 4.6 Ignition Coils

ReneRobert

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I've read on here before that the Accel ignition coils for the 99-04 Mustang 4.6 are an upgrade for our cars. I've been searching for that thread but I can't find any info.
So my question is, does anyone know if this is true? Are these coils an upgrade for our cars? I bought some cheap ebay coils and they're S*, went bad on me in three months. So I'd like an upgrade instead of spending $400+ on a factory set.
Thanks for the help!

Check the normal LS section. I just posted up the Accels I bought. part # 140032-8. I ordered mine from Summit for $207 shipped.

I quoted info on this topic from another thread. The link to the thread is under the quote. Hope this helps...

there is far more to consider that "saving a dollar".

If the stock coils lasted for (insert your mileage here)
And the Accels only last for 50K.. how much money have you saved?

on my 98 car, at 196,000 miles the stock coils are still perfect.
that is roughly 4 times the service life of an aftermarket coil.

SO unless they are 4 times cheaper, your not saving any money.

If price is your only concern, then I really should bow out of this conversation.

the best tuners in the industry plainly state.. there is NO benifit to these aftermarket coils.

you have to understand how these coils work though.

The stock coil has two modes of operation
Cranking Spark which is much higher than Running Spark.
Cranking spark NEEDS to be higher due to the stone cold combustion chamber.
Running spark doenst need this boost due to cylinder temp which helps keep the fuel atomized.

The aftermarket nitwits just put the coils in "bridge mode" which means they are firing at "cranking spark" ALL THE TIME.

this does 3 things

adds more spark than is needed to properly ignite the fuel mixture.
more spark does not mean more power

it also increases the "dwell" time of the coil, because the coils have to recharge to the higher voltage before firing.. increased dwell time is not benifitial because it in effect is "retarding" your timing, due to the additional dwell time.

it also wears out the aftermarket coil FASTER, which is why they dont last as long.

When people that know more about cars than I say.. "dont use them, they suck".. "I" am not to smart to listen to them.

Are you?

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=58691&highlight=mach+1+torque

^thanks for saving me from recomposing a novel

lmao

Check the normal LS section. I just posted up the Accels I bought. part # 140032-8. I ordered mine from Summit for $207 shipped.

man i could have gotten you thr XLRVIII monster coils in whatever color you wanted for the samw money
wheres my spray can (rattle rattle)

P.S. you need more fuel, not spark bro ,lol

No you should keep saying it and buy stock in those companies, that way you are making out like a bandit ;)

man i could have gotten you thr XLRVIII monster coils in whatever color you wanted for the samw money
wheres my spray can (rattle rattle)

P.S. you need more fuel, not spark bro ,lol
lol i didn't buy them for more spark. I just started getting a mis fire at idle and light throttle. Coil on the way out. Couldn't afford the full set of oem coils. That was my first choice. But i haven't heard many good things about the ebay ones so i went on sully's recommendation. New fuel pump will be ordered very soon. I just have to figure out the site quik ls linked me too.

Well you don't ever have to worry about kicking me in the nuts XLR because the second my wife made me walk in that craft store Michaels...I heard the automatic doors open behind me, and when I turned and looked I saw my balls rolling out the door.

Michaels craft store....emasculating men everywhere!

FWIW, I have close to 40K on my engine since installing a set of Accel Mustang coils. They work just fine, but in an attempt to improve some more, I expect to switch to a set of Accel coils intended for a chibrolay V-8 application. I'll not install them until later in the summer when I finish building my 4 litre AJ 27 engine.
KS

Well, I don't want to spend my money for my nursing books on factory coils. I'll give the Accel one's a try. 40k to 50k miles sounds great to me! Thanks everyone for your input!

P.S.
Does it matter if I run fine wire or regular wire plugs or not?

And to double check, it's the coils for the 97-07 4.6 that work, NOT the 99-04 correct?

After a trip to 3 hardware stores, I found the longer bolts I thought would work. Nope. At least not with the washers I bought. So after fiddling with it, and a quick few text messages to Sully, here's what I did:

IMG_9496.jpg

IMG_9497.jpg

I just reused the stock bolts. The coils have a little play in them to get the holes to line up enough to get the bolt through. This holds a lot tighter than my original plan.

But, the possibility of doing different covers is now out of the question. The location of the plug on top of the coil is about 135 degrees counterclockwise from the stock location, making the wires stick out further than the stock cover would - cover.

IMG_9498.jpg

Hey Pete did you re-use your old boots? I remember someone saying thats how it had to be but someone else said the angled ones worked and actually sealed better??????

Exactly. I tried swapping the boots for the stockers. And although it did make the fitting a little easier, it just left too much of a gap around the spark plug well for me to comfortably use them. The Accel boots seal the well much better.

i have the accel coils in mmy car, have for over a year, I had one go bad, but i think that was more my fault... coolant story.. anyway... I havent had any real problems with them, i cant say there was a staggering performance increase, cuz frankly I didnt notice any.. but I can say it is eternally more convenient to be able to just go to autozone and buy a new coil for $25 rather than order one from ebay or a dealer and wait a week since the accel mustang coils are a very common part! when my coil went bad I just drove to autozone, and had the new one in the engine before leaving the parking lot

i was getting a weird code I don't remember it exactly it was like P034.. something primary secondary failure of something... anyway, it wasnt the USUAL coil code, so I tried a bunch of stuff, then I moved the coil around. the code location m,oved too when I repulled them, so I deduced it was the coil. replaced it and been scootin about ever since.

Members online

No members online now.
Back