Must I use the original MOTORCRAFT battery??

vikingdiesel

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I went to Wal-Mart, Autozone... etc and it seems like the only place I can get a BATTERY for my 02 LS V8 is at the dealer. Is that true? What will happen if I just use a battery for like a Lincoln Navigator or a town car? Also, what is the hose that goes into the side of the battery?

Found a little info but still not quite enough, the hose is to vent the battery. So in that case, I MUST get the battery from the dealer or the vent thing isnt all that important? I just bought a battery from Wal-Mart for the Navigator as a temporary thing, should I just be fine with that or do I definetely need the LS one from the dealer that vents?

only use a battery that can be vented to the outside. If you want to use another battery - you can purchase a battery box - that the battery fits in - and then seal up and vent out to a tube.

Will any battery work? - sure, they all vent gases while recharging. Since the trunk is not sealed from the passenger compartment it is potentially dangerous. Optima batteries do vent.

The only battery that does not - as stated in the thread link above - Odyssey batteries.

as I stated before - they are safe to install into the passenger compartment.

I have not used them in my LS but have used them in my other track cars, where I moved the battery from under the hood to inside the cabin.

I have had to replace them often - I don't know if that it typical or if it was because of the environment there were in. They are expensive.

Members online

Back