Mounting aftermarket HID ballast inside Gen2 headlight housing?

HerbieTheMisfit

LVC Member
Reaction score
I bought an HID conversion kit from DDM tuning and went to install it this weekend. I figured out that I needed to remove the entire headlight assembly on my '06 because the bulbs are sealed inside, accessed by watertight covers.

I'm shying away from drilling holes in the housing to run the wires to/from the ballast. Looking at the housing, it appears there might be space inside the housing where possibly the stock HID ballast would go. Anyone ever mount their ballasts in this location? Do the ballasts get hot? It would be nice to put it there because all the wiring connections would then be sealed inside.

I bought the 'cheap' kit so my ballasts are the analog ones, and therefore bigger so I wasn't able to sneak them in. I'm thinking if I get the digital ballasts they may be small enough. I could just use the analog ones for the fogs then...

FYI - the kit I purchased:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=102&parent=85

My demon eye ballasts are inside my housings. There is alot of room in there :p

i just used double sticky tape to hold them to the bottom of the light, right where the factory ballast go, drilled the holes, plugged them with there plugs and some silicone, and called it a day.

not sure about the analog ballast, but with the slim digitals, i had to run relays to get them to turn on.

sounds like it may be neat, but by the time you add the bulb out warning eliminators and the relays, there was no way i would have not had to drill through the cover

not sure about the analog ballast, but with the slim digitals, i had to run relays to get them to turn on.

Did you use the DDM tuning digital ballast kit or a different one?

This particular analog ballast is over an inch thick so it is too big to fit underneath the housing in the 'stock' location. The kit comes with a nice rubber grommet with the wires already thru it so I can do it that way but I am just leery of drilling a hole in my housing.

Thanks for the info...

I ordered a DDM slim kit relay harness and bulb out eliminators. Didn't get them yet. I plan on drilling the hole in the cover not the actually housing.

so the hids don't fit right into the housing?

The HID bulbs in the kit will mount just fine in the existing bulb location. My post was questioning where to mount the ballast and possibly avoiding drilling holes in the Gen2 housing or weather-tight covers to run the wires.

Did you use the DDM tuning digital ballast kit or a different one?

yup, DDM tunning slim ballast 5k kit

The kit comes with a nice rubber grommet with the wires already thru it so I can do it that way but I am just leery of drilling a hole in my housing.
thats exactly how mine came, just drilled right into the removable cover, you could always get a new set of covers from a junk yard or just use epoxy to fill the holes if you ever want to go back

so the hids don't fit right into the housing?

yes the bulbs do, not sure about the ballast, never tried i had to have them out side for all the extra stuff (BOW eliminators, and relays)

... questioning where to mount the ballast and possibly avoiding drilling holes in the Gen2 housing or weather-tight covers to run the wires.

they might fit, but i dont think they would me able to go in through the access hole, meaning you would have to cut the headlight open to get the ballast in there and i think that would be what your trying to avoid.

The HID bulbs in the kit will mount just fine in the existing bulb location. My post was questioning where to mount the ballast and possibly avoiding drilling holes in the Gen2 housing or weather-tight covers to run the wires.

Oooo Ok, I misunderstood, thanks for that.

Members online

Back