motor running rough plus egr code

94silvermark

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone my car has been running poorly over the past few days. I'm getting 12-13mpg and the engine is misfiring at idle. I am getting code 332: egr flow insufficient. Is this more than likely a dpfe failure? I know the egr tube isn't clogged but i am unsure about the valve. All the vacuum lines are new so that cant be the problem.

Typically egr codes on ford products is the dpfe sensor bad. If you have access to a scan tool, look in datastream at the koeo [key on engine off] voltage for the dpfe sensor. It should be around .8 volts to maybe 1.1. Anything higher means the dpfe sensor is bad. If you don't have access to a scan tool, try unplugging the dpfe electrical connector and see if it idles better.

Do you mean a dealer specific scan tool? I have one that beeps off the codes but i wouldn't even know where to plug in a more sophisticated scanner on an obd1 car. I already tried unplugging the egr vacuum solenoid while the engine idled and it made no difference. Maybe disconnecting the dpfe will produce a different result.

I'm talking about any scanner that will show you live data stream information. Sounds like you don't have access to one, so the first thing I would do is check and see if you have vacuum at the egr valve itself while idling. You should not have any vacuum there while idling. If you put vacuum to the egr valve while idling, the engine should run real rough or die. You could also have a piece of carbon holding the valve slightly open at idle causing the rough running. Or you could have 2 separate issues.

A new dpfe fixed it. I read another thread where a member stated that there was a tsb out saying to replace the dpfe if any egr flow related codes manifest themselves.

Members online

Back