mk8 headlight lens'

rrich

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'll pass it on so here go's, ya know how the headlight lens doe's it's rendition
of (my anywayafter 1t to many beer's) gettind dull,dim?well I think I may have found somthing that hhelp's ...acetone(nail polish remover) I had some laying around what I did was this ..put the acetone on a sponge,squeezed out the excessso it was just damp.got perpared to "rub it in" and found out all I had 2 do was gently wipe it on .It seemed to get rid of the dullness I've never seen a new lens assembly so concervatively it seemed to approximatly(?) improved the l
by at least 75%...just thought I'd pass it on. I searched on e-bayand found !
guy who sells len's assemblies 4 250.00 EACH,plus peaple who sold variouas kit's ranging from 10 buck's 2 50 bucks I just thought I could do a little
better:D ps:b careful around headlights as acetone is a good PAINT REMOVER.

Body shop

I was up at my favorite body shop the other day scheduling my wife's mercury and they were advertising a headlight restoration service. They tell me they charge $90 but most shops are doing it for 85-150. They wet sand, spray on some stuff, let it sit wet sand and spray again, then I think they wet sand a final time. They're telling me it lasts about 2 years. I'm gonna take the lincoln to them when the Merc comes out. I'm curious to see how it goes. I'll report back.

headlights

mespock said:
Give an up date on how long this lasts. Congrats I know you have been searching for a bit.

Happy New Year

I guess it will last as long as your "singing phenoma" last's (roflmao).
improved ads they are ,I think it needs new low beam bulbs.i'll keep u informed,,,:D

I have a feeling your doing more damage than good with the acetone. It has a funny habit of crazing polycarbonate. This looks like a bunch of little wrinkles all over the plastic's surface.

The only way I have found to improve the LOOK of the lenses is to wet sand starting with 1500 and working up to 3000 grit. The lights themselves are dim for a completely different reason. (burnt reflective coating inside the housing caused by overheating).

If you hav'nt noticed any harm done by the acetone....congrats cause you got lucky. I tried it on an old set of mine and ended up ruining them.

Mike

Is it nail polish remover that you use or nail polish remover you found layin around?

all right this might have come up before but is it posable to rechrome the reflector behind the lenze and is there a place or a method of doing it thats cheaper then buying new? couse if I can redo mine and put a clear lenz on then the reflector wont burn off like the crappy stock ones.

Yes it is POSSIBLE.......

google "chroming plastic"

It's a process where they put the parts in a vacumn chamber, and inject powdered metal, and somehow it coats the part to a mirror finish. I've looked in to it before......

LOTS of money if your only gonna do one set.

Mike

well if it works i will do more I have a few sets and a few cars, and a few friends that will do it to if it works, i might have to look into this a little more. I know how to remove the lenz so this might work, cool thanxs:cool:

i cleaned mine up with this 3M cleaning/polishing compound... i went over both lights twice and the yellowness was gone. been good for a while now for me. :cool:

What works for me has always been jewelers rouge and a high speed polisher, it will give the outside a mirror finish. The dull inside is another story.

Mine are yellow and not smooth at all.
I am going to try some polishing compound and a buffer.

Members online

Back