Mk 8 running a little hot...

the_continental_kid

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey folks - just replaced my '92 Conti with a '93 Mark - I really like the car so far. I bought it Saturday and today I was stopped somewhere talking to someone - and noticed the temp guage creeping up. Saturday I drove from where I bought it to home (one hour trip) then to client (another hour) then around town - with no big changes in the temp guage. Now today I noticed it creeping up while it was just idiling. It went up between the O and R in "normal" then when I started driving it started going back down again. but now it floats around R and M - which is higher than I noticed it all day on Saturday. The heat works fine, the coolant level is fine, and there are no coolant leaks I can see. What's up?

Sounds more like your a little low on coolant - or you might have some air trapped in there.

There should be a label on the right side fender wall to tell you how to fill the coolant. Read that and use the center fill tube --

the_continental_kid said:
Hey folks - just replaced my '92 Conti with a '93 Mark - I really like the car so far. I bought it Saturday and today I was stopped somewhere talking to someone - and noticed the temp guage creeping up. Saturday I drove from where I bought it to home (one hour trip) then to client (another hour) then around town - with no big changes in the temp guage. Now today I noticed it creeping up while it was just idiling. It went up between the O and R in "normal" then when I started driving it started going back down again. but now it floats around R and M - which is higher than I noticed it all day on Saturday. The heat works fine, the coolant level is fine, and there are no coolant leaks I can see. What's up?
I am experiencing the same thing. However, I am not getting heat, and I constantly get the Coolant Level Low message. I want to change the coolant, but there is no drain plug. What is the best way to change it?

GMAN said:
I am experiencing the same thing. However, I am not getting heat, and I constantly get the Coolant Level Low message. I want to change the coolant, but there is no drain plug. What is the best way to change it?

If your coolant level is visibly fine then the sensor in the res is bad.

Looks good so far...

Well I added a little water to the res. to put the level above the COLD FILL line and it was lower all the way home from work. I took the long way home, and then went a round a few blocks, through some stop-signs. And it didn't heat up past M-A this time. Is this "normal" for you folks? What should I be expecting to see on the guage - what do you people experience?

Tomorrow I'll be going to school and work - we'll see what happens then.

Still a tad hot

Runs a tad hot still. What about the sensor in the resivior? How much do you think it would be to have it replaced? Is it complicated work?

Or - does this sound like something a new t-stat and a radiator flush would fix?

What are you guys running at? I'm in the R-M range.

There IS a drain petcock.Its under the passenger side of the radiator.
I would start with a good flush and new t stat.You have no idea how long the coolant has been in there might as well know for certain its fresh.

Yep, I'd open up the petcock on the bottom side of the radiator and let it drain. Remove the cap on the fill tube located in front of the radiator and put the hose there. Turn the water on low and let the motor run until no coolant (just water) drains from the radiator. Make sure the heat is on full blast. Turn motor off. Then close the petcock, take the cap off the reservoir, add coolant to the tube until the level in the reservoir reaches the cold mark, put the res cap back on and continue filling the tube until full.

Mine does that now and then, but most of the time it turns out the coolant is low, about half way down the expansion tank, cold. Could be your coolant is old or the anti-freeze--water mix may need to be adjusted.

You most likely have a leak. The Mark VIII is a closed system that in theory should never lose coolant unless there is a leak.

Go to a shop and have them flush the cooling system - Have them put DYE in the coolant so you can find the leak. Next time you get the low coolant message - take it back and have them find and repair the leak. It could be a pinhole somewhere.

Members online

No members online now.
Back