Misfire

num1bigguy

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 1996 Lincoln Mark VIII. Over this past weekend I had some trouble start. I went to gas station. Car was hot as it was 90 outside. switched car off and went inside for a few minutes. When i returned and what the car did has me troubled. I started the car as usual. fired right up as usual except the revs went to 2500 and stayed there. I waited a few seconds for it to come down. It didn't. Looked to make sure my floormat hadn't moved by the pedal. Nope not it. So I poked the pedal and it revved to 4000 and held there. I immediately turned car off. To see if it would repeat I restarted car. It did not repeat. Now it starts up and idles good, misses when under load. I have no cel on. No codes stored either. Going through the service history I received with car found out spark plugs and wires were changed at 95000 miles. Car has 120,000 miles currently. Any insight? Is this one of those one-off parts I've been worried about? Thank you in advance. I did a search through google and I find nothing that matches what happened to me. Just wondering if the excessive rpms at start up was letting me know something had failed.

I'm not a gen one guy, but i'd be looking into the tps, iac and vacuum leaks. I'm not sure if these are symptoms or a bad imrc (one year part) on a 96.

I'd check the iac first. Had a couple do different things, mostly mess up the idle. Pedal cable or throttle body getting stuck. My 95 seems to go through plug wires. Could of had a brain fart.

I would also vote for a bad TPS, and I'd probably have a look at some vacuum lines as well. Provided the CEL is functioning as it should, it's very doubtful its IMRC, as '96 cars throw a CEL for a bad IMRC.

I used some questionable gas from a gas can and think it was bad. Misfire went away and hasn't been back in at least a week. Yay!

Members online

Back