Mini spool?

A traction lock or posi is a limited slip, a spool is a locker essentially..probably not the best for a street car..unless you want to go through 4 sets of rear tires in a year.

that just locks the wheels together.
no differential action.

the trac lock is a "limited slip" device. it still allows the wheels rotate somewhat independent of each other. a spool does not.
can eat up the rear tires in a hurry on the street.

Those 4.10 gears look SUPER nice. They are polished. Adds to the price. FYI polish is not for looks. LOL

Yes, as everyone stated, a spool will eat up tires faster and also sucks ass when driving in the rain.

I LOVE the SPOOL myths that get around. I ran a Spool in the Plymouth for 21 years in a row ALL stereet driving HARD RACE AXELS (That evryone said the first NJ pothole will snap it clean) never happened, plus we have put in spools on Marks at least 5 times over the years and had 0 issues. Tire wear? Really? LOL from a MM of rubbing on each turn? It may increase your tire wear MAYBE 2%.

Last edited:
I LOVE the SPOOL myths that get around. I ran a Spool in the Plymouth for 21 years in a row ALL stereet driving HARD RACE AXELS (That evryone said the first NJ pothole will snap it clean) never happened, plus we have put in spools on Marks at least 5 times over the years and had 0 issues. Tire wear? Really? LOL from a MM of rubbing on each turn? It way increase your tire wear MAYBE 2%.

So Geno, is that worth getting over a trac-lok?

I LOVE the SPOOL myths that get around. I ran a Spool in the Plymouth for 21 years in a row ALL stereet driving HARD RACE AXELS (That evryone said the first NJ pothole will snap it clean) never happened, plus we have put in spools on Marks at least 5 times over the years and had 0 issues. Tire wear? Really? LOL from a MM of rubbing on each turn? It way increase your tire wear MAYBE 2%.
I can speak from first hand no myths. I would never run a spool or mini spool in a DD. MOSTLY a CV shaft set up. On my red race MK8 yes no problem. I still don't like taking any what of a kinda tight turn even backing up the tires are making noise.

My dad has run a 9" with a detroit locker in his vette since the late 70s with various gear sets..it sees MINIMAL street use maybe 100 miles a year and every tire he's had on there gets torn up in the center of the tread from the tires dragging around turns..think of how it would be with a car you use as a daily driver or even a few thousand miles per year. It goes back to the word "streetable" and what your deffinition of that word is..sure you CAN use a spool on the street in a relatively stock mark viii..but why? Sure you COULD drive a drag car on the street with a 700 lift cam 14:1 compression a 5000 stall converter and 5:14 gear..but it certainly isn't practical.

I sure as fuk would not run a spool on the street as a daily driver. Hell to the effin' NO! LOL
If someone told me that they had a spool in their Mark8, I would laugh at them hysterically. That's just as impractical as putting a $600 driveshaft in these cars. You have some really odd ideas Geno. I mean, really I don't understand you sometimes, especially for having all the experience with these cars that you have. I would feel bad for what I said here if you truly had a case of dementia or something setting in. I guess anything is possible.

My dad has run a 9" with a detroit locker in his vette since the late 70s with various gear sets..it sees MINIMAL street use maybe 100 miles a year and every tire he's had on there gets torn up in the center of the tread from the tires dragging around turns..think of how it would be with a car you use as a daily driver or even a few thousand miles per year. It goes back to the word "streetable" and what your deffinition of that word is..sure you CAN use a spool on the street in a relatively stock mark viii..but why? Sure you COULD drive a drag car on the street with a 700 lift cam 14:1 compression a 5000 stall converter and 5:14 gear..but it certainly isn't practical.

I had a Locker in MANY of my past cars Detroit Lockers don't drag the tires, they use a ratcheting plate set up vs clutches but STILL allow for the other wheel to spin like a clutched set up you just MAY hear the "Clicking" noise in some cases of the unit itself. So if He was wearing in the middle it was over inflation and had nothing to do with the locker set up at all.

I sure as fuk would not run a spool on the street as a daily driver. Hell to the effin' NO! LOL
If someone told me that they had a spool in their Mark8, I would laugh at them hysterically. That's just as impractical as putting a $600 driveshaft in these cars. You have some really odd ideas Geno. I mean, really I don't understand you sometimes, especially for having all the experience with these cars that you have. I would feel bad for what I said here if you truly had a case of dementia or something setting in. I guess anything is possible.

Yeah thats it im dimented. Ive DONE it MANY TIMES and had NO issues, thats just plain fact Sir. It's just My personal experience that I am sharing. Not dimentia, it's called experience. Ask Jerry the Guy who bought my Road Runner, He put the Spool in that car in 1992 and I sold it BACK to Him last year and He is still running the same spool from 1991. I even Run M/T's that are soft as butter and barely go through a set every 2 Summers and I DROVE the hell outr of that car. I at least put 10k on it every 2 years average.

I had a Locker in MANY of my past cars Detroit Lockers don't drag the tires, they use a ratcheting plate set up vs clutches but STILL allow for the other wheel to spin like a clutched set up you just MAY hear the "Clicking" noise in some cases of the unit itself. So if He was wearing in the middle it was over inflation and had nothing to do with the locker set up at all.

The entire rear end came out of an alcohol funny car many years ago, the locker was modified to where it wouldn't "rachet" like you're talking about..it is essentially a locked rear end now..and the tires are a little wide for the 8" weld wheel so that may have something to do with the slight buldge to the center of the tread but eitherway if it were a posi there wouldn't me nearly as much tread wear in comparison to what's in there now.

Members online

No members online now.
Back