Might buy this Eldo BUT! Read on...

The Rev

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/car/628817357.html

Ok here's the deal. I have a 93 mark that I brought back from the death haha.

I want to get my mother an eldo and this looks really nice, but what could be the reason for overheating? I don't want to call this guy before I know what I could be getting myself into. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but can do pretty much anything with instructions and time, how much of an issue would this be? Blown head gasket?

These car are notorious for blowing head gaskets at around the 100K mark.

I'd go look at it, If their was no water in the oil I would get it. Could just be the thermostat or water pump, maybe fan.

If its overheating with those miles its the head gasket for sure! They are known for that. Plan on dropping a motor in...

^^ Sounds about right. Before i got the Mark, i went to look at an IMMACULATE 98 STS with 112K for $2000. Rear headgasket was blown... Was a dealer - told me it was no easy (or cheap) fix. (they told me that you have to timesert the threads and fit new type head bolts to stop it going again)

Why don't you get your mom a Mark VIII? At least you have experience with them, know what to look for and have good support. (LvC and Max at 5 star) Sounds like a good option to me... unless she is anti Ford? Lol.

Remember the old saying? Better the devil you know! Lol.

The early northstars like that espically essentially needed frequent coolant flushes (2yr/20k I believe to be safe). That or the gaskets were toast by 100k. Which is why I believe the factory fill even included the gm equivelant of conditioner/stop leak addative. They later changed the gaskets and the addative was no longer needed. If this simple maintnance is done they tend to last very well.

Members online

No members online now.
Back