Might be selling the car...

KD00LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I think I might be selling the car again. I'm looking at a mint 1996 Camaro Z28- Black, 6spd, Fully loaded. Has like 37k miles on it, for around 8-9k. I'm just kinda getting tired of the LS, I mean it's been a fun run and all, but I need a change of scenery every now and then. What do you guys think?

I know what you mean. My mom wanted to trade her 91 Trans Am with 48,000 for my LS. Tough decision!

good luck selling the ls. tough market right now. i can't seem to get rid of mine! let us know if you do get the camaro.

I say if you feel that way do it, I went back and forth on getting rid of my LS(couple bad deals too) but now that its gone I only miss the CD Changer for the most part, very happy w/ my choice of letting it go.

Yea I know I'd miss it, but I have like car ADD, I just need to switch it up every once in a while. It just kinda lost it's luster.

My first car was a Z-28. Being sixteen and having a camaro doesnt mix too well! As far as an LS, though, I dont think I could ever take the camaro over the LS.

IM0004322.jpg

why not a mustang gt or cobra?

Of course I'm biased.

I've blown up two camaros and a firebird while club racing, but never a mustang.

I know personally i would never drop my LS for a camaro but to each his own. I mean theyre just completely different cars so i can't really see one as a replacement, however, i do like the late model camaros so i say get the camaro in addition to the LS :)

You do not need to justify anything to us man, if you want it than do it. You should know what everyone or the majority of people on here are going to say. Check out some 'Maro boards and see what there is going on, do not ask them either, cause you well get nothing but people saying get the 'Maro. If you really feel like you want something different and can do it, than do it and not worry what others say. I could of come on here and asked wether or not I should of gotten my Cobalt SS S/C or keep the LS and if I did ask I would of gotten nothing but negative comments but instead since its my money, my choice and my life I went ahead and made the decision on my own and know what? Everytime I pass or walk by an LS I think "huh" and just keep going because I do not care, I love my new car and do not miss the LS at all.

I am totally for the change, as long as it fits your needs. I am a family guy who needs 4 door vehicles. But as someone who also owned a '96 Trans Am i know how much fun they can be. Sounds like a good enough deal. I was pondering a 3rd car which one of my options was a convertible Z28. And screw the mustang thing, you guys know you cant handle the f-body's.

Go ahead and pony up for an LS1 over an LT1. You will not regret it.

You will have to get headers, exhaust, CAI, and tune (maybe more) just to get it to run as fast as an LS1. LT1 cars can be a headache with the crappy optispark.

Beamer, that's good advice thanks man. Todd, also good advice, and it does fit my needs I guess, I'm 19. Matt, I was thinking about it but LS1's just cost too damn much. I looked into an STS turbo setup for the LT1, is there anything that can be done to the optispark?

First off Beamer is right, its your thoughts/opinions/needs that matter most, the rest of us are just tainted data points.

Now as a family guy, with a massive need for a solid Euro-Sport sedan, I know that my first choice is not a good one. I also know that not all the other members feel as I do.

KD00LS, you asked what we think and some of us are honest enough to tell you. It is you who has to make up your mind, not us. We all have very strong feeling about our cars or we would not be here, (well FLA00LS might), but the point is we should only share our true experiences and idea with you. That is all I tried to do.

Beamer - I all I offered when you said you were getting the cobat was my own experiences and opinion. I thought that was the point of your own thread.

FLA02LS - Why don't you just roll back from the keyboard and chill out. I never said anything about or against Camaros or Firebirds here that is not true. All I did was ask him if he had considered a Mustang GT or cobra as an alternative. I freely admit that I'm not a fan of that vintage Camaros or Firebirds, even though I like the looks of them, there are just to many quality and durability issues for me. I like mustangs and see a great potential in them that I do not in the Fbodies. If the truth that I wrote hurts you in any way, Tuff Sh!te.

dude, by what you like and try to enjoy it.

I understand needing a change of scenery. In two more years I am sure my LS will be gone........maybe. I'll prolly see what is out there price wise for an 06 but knowing me I'll be checking out the Dodge Challengers or Mustangs. I also like the Volvo S60Rs, and mazda RX8s. I think both would be fun to drive but at 6'4 I don't know if I'd fit in an RX8. However, I disagree with the comment about mustangs not staying with the f-bodies both cars have their strength and weaknesses. Have you checked out an RX7? They can be mean little ricers if your into that but I doubt you are since your looking at a Camaro. Just my $.02 now lets watch the people hate me for liking Mazdas. Who knows maybe Lincoln will have a new WOW car in the future that will catch my eyes or dear I say it a Cadillac? Probably not, I like FORDS to much to go that route.

MattD said:
Go ahead and pony up for an LS1 over an LT1. You will not regret it.

You will have to get headers, exhaust, CAI, and tune (maybe more) just to get it to run as fast as an LS1. LT1 cars can be a headache with the crappy optispark.
My T/A had the optispark issue. Very expensive, dumb engineering. My comment about mustangs i thought would for sure stir some people up, but it wasnt directed at anyone in particular. Its just stock for stock the f-body is much stronger than the mustang, LT1 or LS1.

JES_LS said:
Beamer - I all I offered when you said you were getting the cobat was my own experiences and opinion. I thought that was the point of your own thread.

And I respect that man, no love lost. Point of the thread was to say that after a long battle to get out of the LS and all the BS I went through I finally got rid of it for something I really like and was announcing my w/draw from the LS scene. I knew the good and bad comments would come but as I stated, its my life. Oh BTW, she just turned over 300 today(miles that is).

yeah i guessed that much by the "spark" part :)

The optispark is just a high tech electronic distributor for the ignition system. The problem with them is that they are extremely moisture sensitive and they are located under the water pump, which how many GM's dont eventually have a bad water pump. So alittle leakage from the water pump trickles down and ruins the optispark. Costs me like $700 to replace, have to remove the waterpump and the LT1 doesnt exactly have alot of room to work with inside the engine bay. I would put the optispark on the LT1 on the same level as the coils on the LS. Something that with time WILL eventually go bad. It sure was fun driving my Trans Am with only 5 cylinders firing. Talk about looking stupid.

Gee I never had that sort of issue on my Mustangs. In 13 mustangs, I have only changed one water pump (and it was a bad impeller not a leak), one ignition module and one coil all on different 'stangs.
And as for stock vs stock, we are talking about a cars in the 1996 range, who in their right mind thinks they are going to find a ten year old pony car that is 100% stock. It doesn't take much to make a mustang cobra wake up and strike.

Members online

Back